SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you were only going to have one AR, what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were only going to have one AR, what would it be? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
If it was just 1 - it'd be the Barrett Rec7

I want one. I was seriously considering selling a couple things last year to get one. I should have just done it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
LMT MARS in .308 with a vortex 1x10 on it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would like to say KAC, but probably BCM. For only one AR I would not want any proprietary parts. I would then buy a stack of spare parts.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
16" Midlength AR by a reputable manufacturer like DD/BCM/etc., with an Aimpoint with 3x magnifier in flip-to-side mount, a set of Troy flip up backup sights, a BFG VCAS sling, and a Streamlight TLR-RM2 light on a 45 degree offset mount.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
16" Midlength AR by a reputable manufacturer like DD/BCM/etc...

Finally, a voice of reason in AR15 selection for the vast majority of users. The average Joe won't push the AR to its limits of function, accuracy, distance to target, or durability. The AR will likely gather more dust than anything, it won't be shot enough to wear out any parts, and the owner will likely never practice enough with it to learn how to shoot it accurately. And thus if one sticks with manufacturers who have been around awhile, the brand name on the receiver will mean little to how the AR performs.

However, if the prospective AR owner has specific needs in the rifle, then one should start with its purpose in mind. Form and brand names will follow.
- Target distances, ballistics, and rate of fire are primary. This narrows the choices for caliber, barrel length, and barrel type.
- Accuracy requirements -- which plays into barrel and chamber.
- Preferred ammo -- which plays into barrel and chamber.
- DI versus piston.
- Desired total weight.
- Sighting systems requirements -- irons, RDS, glass.
- Preferred trigger.
- Buttstock, grip, and handguard.
- Accessories.

For the AR owner who wants something besides a jack-of-all-trades AR15, an AR assembled from components can outperform standard factory AR models.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a 16" midlength by a mid-tier manufacturer is basically the Glock 19 of the AR15 world.

"Jack of all trades", "if you're only going to own one", etc.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
16” carbine with iron sights...and I’ll replace
1. the trigger with a CMC drop in trigger group.
2. front sight to a tritium front sight.
3. Grip, cause I hate the finger bumps

I have two like this now, DPMS with a pencil barrel and a Bushmaster with a heavy barrel.

KISS

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
This one. Spikes lower with 2-stage trigger, a T2 buffer, a BCM mid-length 16" upper and a Trijicon TA31RCO.

But since I own more than one, optics rotate due to the need at the moment.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the response, and the pictures. It’s great to see all of the different opinions and ideas for set ups. I am surprised that with the popularity of the pistol braces but there haven’t been more people thinking that they would want to go that route, just to have a more compact set up

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Short-barrel AR pistols have their place, but it wouldn't be my choice for a first/only AR.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
If you were only going to have one AR, what would it be? Take the availability and the cost factor out of it, and what would you pick? Colt used to set the standard and was considered to be the best, nowadays I think there are plenty of other options that are just as good if not better. HK seems to have the elite status, but you never actually see one for sale in the shops. Knights are supposed to super nice, but again you never really see one on the Shelf for sale. But, in this discussion I guess that really doesn’t matter. If you were spending somebody else’s money, or had unlimited money, what would you buy? How would you set it up, and what accessories would you put on it? If you would rather have an A.R. pistol with a brace, that works also. I’m just looking for new ideas, and seeing what everybody else out there likes!

Don't skimp on optics. You can only hit what you can see. You certainly don't NEED a $3k optic to be effective, but you don't want a $30 walmart special red dot either.

I see it more frequently than I should. Premium AR, garbage optic and/or garbage ammo.

I would rather have a $500 PSA build with a $400 1-6x in a $100 cantilever mount than a $1k Colt with iron sights.

That's not to disparage the Colt, but rather to emphasize the importance of being able to resolve your target. Many people spend a lot of time shooting at high contrast targets on a groomed range, and never realize how things change when your target is the same color as the background surroundings, hidden in shadows, or obscured by the glare of the sun. Targets which can be completely invisible to the naked eye or viewed through a red dot can be easily resolved with an inexpensive but decent quality optic.

I can't tell you how many friends I have taken shooting who assure me that they can hit X target at Y yards with a red dot just as well as I can with a magnified optic. Aside from some exceptionally well trained and proficient shooters who I have attended matches with who are wizards with their red dots, that is almost never the case. Those guys are the exception, not the rule.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I see it more frequently than I should. Premium AR, garbage optic and/or garbage ammo.

As with the similar phenomenon of premium handgun, garbage holster and/or garbage belt.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I cannot answer this question. Three ARs, minimum.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I only have one and I got it about 3 years ago. I bought a Colt LE6920 SOCOM II with the MaTech rear sight and Knights Armament rail and grip.
I put a Trijicon ACOG 4X32 with a Trijicon dual illumination RMR on top of the ACOG. At some point I plan on putting a Surefire Scout light on it.
I also put a Blue Force VTAC sling on it.
I feel like I can't really go wrong with that rifle and those options.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I have an early Noveske N4 complete rifle with a 16" barrel and an Aimpoint red dot. I have an older Colt HBAR 20" barrel, but I really like the Noveske.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’d have a hard time picking between an AR-9 and one in .22lr. If money were no object and I could pick anything I’d probably get a Colt AR in 9mm.

I’m not a massive fan of the AR in 5.56. I respect the platform and it’s versatility, and I own a few, but it’s just not my favorite. I love it in 9 and .22 though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Sig M-400 Enhanced that I have, upgraded with an ALG ACT trigger, with the Burris AR 332 that's on it. It's all the AR I need for ARing. I'm building a target AR for fun, and have a 9mm Rock River that's a lot of fun, but the Sig is all I need.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noveske 10.5" SBR with Switchblock, M4-2000, Aimpoint T2 and Surefire Scout.

I have many AR's, but this is the one I plan to pull out first when it starts. It currently sits next to my bed loaded with 75 grain TAP SBR.

I will have plenty others nearby though Smile

Not the best picture... I have not updated the pic since I got the T2 last week (pictured is a T1).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I cannot answer this question. Three ARs, minimum.

Two is one ... one is none.

How many uppers can I have?

Sorry, this is an old picture ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This. And to add a little to Fritz's post:

1\7 NATO 5.56 chrome lined chamber and barrel, DI gas system, and an ACOG with BUIS. A do everything rifle that never needs batteries.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, a 16" midlength by a mid-tier manufacturer is basically the Glock 19 of the AR15 world.

"Jack of all trades", "if you're only going to own one", etc.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post