SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    how good are daniel defense rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how good are daniel defense rifle? Login/Join 
posted
looking at ddm4-v5 worth the extra money? thanks looking for a little of guidance here.

Posts: 73 | Location: Raymondville south texas | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
My 1st AR is a DDM4V11...........being a newbie, I wanted quality and no worries out of the box.

Have about 1500 rounds thru it - no regrets at all.

I will caution you----the V11 trigger is military spec 7-8 pound pull......gave it time but swapped it out for a LaRue MBT........... Big Grin

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
While I don't own one I have shot them a few times-you can feel to quality in their rifles. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One can easily buy two or three AR-15s for the price of one DD. This can be said for other ARs in this premium price range. Will a DD (or other similar) rifle perform 2-3 times better than a value-line AR? Almost certainly not.

For the casual shooter who fires a couple dozen rounds every few months at paper silhouette targets from a few yards at a square range, it can be hard to justify the investment in a premium rifle, such as DD. Shooters who put their rifles through more challenging shooting will likely see the difference between rifle lines, and may be more willing to invest in a DD. Fire ten or twenty thousand rounds down various ARS, then compare a DD to a value line rifle. Of course, most shooters will never do this, and few will ever get their hands on rifles with such round counts.

No rifle is above and beyond maintenance. I've seen DDs in training which choked because the owner didn't keep the weapon clean and well lubed, but that was the owner's fault and not the gun's. Most DDs I've been around performed flawlessly, in both good and bad conditions.

If I didn't already have premium line ARs from other manufacturers, DD would be in my short list for another rifle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
What Fritz said. DD makes quality stuff, but the cost is unreasonable when compared to manufacturers like Colt or BCM. I would get a 16" Mlok upper from BCM and purchase the lower separately from either BCM or Colt. G&R Tactical is who I send my money to for these products, if not the BCM site.

16" upper $684
http://www.gandrtactical.com/B...Handguard_p_826.html

Lower add stock $380 (plus whatever stock)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lower_p_155.html

This leaves a lot of room for ammo, sights, mags, a sling, and maybe even a red dot.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Good quality but I personally would not buy one.

I think they are overpriced. But I have been building ARs for more than 10 years and have a lot of confidence in my own personal quality control.

Palmetto Premium line has barrels sourced from FN and bolt carrier groups from either FN or ToolCraft who is the OEM manufacturer for most of the top tier companies selling ARs.

For the cost of a DD you could have a very high quality rifle with an upgraded trigger like the Larue MBT and a case of ammo, and maybe even an optic depending on your criteria.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The barrel is the key. I've built three ARs around Daniel Defense cold hammer forged barrels and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not a particularly great shot with a rifle, but DD's CHF barrels make me look good on the range. I'd class their accuracy as 'confidence-inspiring'.

Having said that- if you have no desire to build an AR and you have the money, Daniel Defense rifles are exceptionally nice, but you can buy two Colts and a bunch of magazines and ammo (or maybe a WML or decent optic) for the price of one DD rifle.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really like my DD carbine. It’s my go to, setup with a red dot and weapon light. I bought it several years ago when prices were better.

Now, I’d buy a BCM or Colt.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
When I was first looking for a rifle, a friend of mine (Army Ranger) suggested DD. I purchased the DDM4V4. Stunning build quality. I have likely have >2000 rds. through it and it has had zero failures.

Are they pricey? Yes.
Do their stock triggers suck? Yes.
Am I pleased with my purchase? Yes, and I would buy their rifles again.

Posts: 518 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I'll mimic others.
Great quality rifles no doubt but not even close to being worth the cost.
Their barrels and ergonomics of their grip is what makes them stand out but again not worth the extra coin.
Off the shelf buy Colt or if you choose to build, build around a DD barrel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've got four or five of them. They are all great. One has Ben through a couple of wet and muddy high round count classes without a hitch. I recommend DD and BCM without reservation.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Excellent quality. But probably THE most overpriced AR out there.

Not by a long shot. I can name at least three: Salient Arms and Warsport being two of them.

As far as prices for ARs go, DD rifles, with the possible exception of the ISR, are actually mid-range.

DD rifle bbls are excellent, not a fan of their furniture, but I understand why they did it.

If I had to taken an off-the-shelf DI rifle DD and KAC are on my short list.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I prefer my BCM. I’ve had two DD AR’s. They are nice, but not Noveske nice. My BCM performs every bit as well. They are not a bad choice, to the contrary.. great rifles, just a bit overpriced for what your getting imo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you see above a number of members here have DD rifles and I don't recall many issues with them. If you dig through the Rifle Room, you'll find even more user feedback on them. The majority positive. You can even look on youtube and find a video of Larry Vickers dropping one from a helicopter and then blowing it up. Here is a link to the video.

I'm not a fan of the triggers they put in their LPKs, but every piece of DD gear I've ever handled has been quality.

For full disclosure I'm a BCM and COLT fan.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have colt,bcm and daniel defense. the dd is the prettier of the bunch but there is no difference in reliability. i have even grown to love the ugly furniture they put on there rifles now.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have one, after replacing almost every part it is finished. The upper, lower, buffer tube and BCG are going strong.

Good rifle I just can't help but change stuff.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I have one, after replacing almost every part it is finished. The upper, lower, buffer tube and BCG are going strong.

Good rifle I just can't help but change stuff.

Probably should have started off with a Colt Big Grin

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies had one, don't remember which model. It would not run with .223. Shot fine with 5.56 though. Sent it back and DD said everything was fine with the rifle. He said he didnt want a rifle that had to have 5.56 ammo. DD bought the rifle back from him. So in my mind they did right by taking care of their customer.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
One of my buddies had one, don't remember which model. It would not run with .223. Shot fine with 5.56 though. Sent it back and DD said everything was fine with the rifle. He said he didnt want a rifle that had to have 5.56 ammo. DD bought the rifle back from him. So in my mind they did right by taking care of their customer.

An often overlooked part of the price. Sometimes there is more to it than the gun itself. I know at one time, and it still may be true but DD was the only or one of very few companies that made every part in-house. Thats not cheap but it does give you ultimate control in the QC department. While everyone can put out a lemon from time to time, I bet the numbers at DD are much lower than most places. Im a DD fan boy so take that for what its worth. Its easy to say something is overpriced when the end user wont or doesnt use the gun to its full potential(myself included). If I was leaving for a desolate war zone tomorrow my first choice would be a DD rifle, without question. Id guess a solid 80% of people could be just as happy with a DPMS Oracle as a DD rifle.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know any of the ar makers can and will put a bad example every now and then. I would be very happy to own a DD ar.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post