SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Mount Options for Mini 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mount Options for Mini 14 Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
I'd like to add a scope to my mini 14. I am very unfamiliar with scope mounts for this platform. What are others using? I see many options available but not sure of the best options.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you be more specific on which model Mini-14 you have? The options are very different on different models.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Can you be more specific on which model Mini-14 you have? The options are very different on different models.

Yep.

All of the newer 580-series Minis, and some of the older 180/190-series Minis (namely the "Ranch Rifle" model), come with Ruger's standard integral scope mounts built into the receiver, which makes attaching a scope easy. You just need a set of Ruger rings.

Even if your Mini is an older model that doesn't have the integral scope mounts as shown below, there may still be options.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
Mine has the integral notches in the receiver like the photo above.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyjondeere:
I'd like to add a scope to my mini 14. I am very unfamiliar with scope mounts for this platform. What are others using? I see many options available but not sure of the best options.

Best scope mount? Replace it with an AR-15.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyjondeere:
Mine has the integral notches in the receiver like the photo above.

Ah, in that case, get the rings from Ruger.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

Roll Eyes Every Mini thread, someone's gotta chime in with an unhelpful comment like "Get an AR".

I have a bunch of ARs. But I also enjoy shooting my Mini-14. Variety is a good thing.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

Roll Eyes Every Mini thread, someone's gotta chime in with an unhelpful comment like "Get an AR".

I have a bunch of ARs. But I also enjoy shooting my Mini-14. Variety is a good thing.

How is it unhelpful?

A riflescope is wasted on a Mini-14. But if he really wants one, he should get the Ruger rings. An alternative would be to get the Burris adapters and then use whatever Weaver/Picatinny rings he wants.

posted Hide Post
I use the ultimak with a dot, but it would work fine with some sort of scout scope.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the Warne QD rings for the Ruger in 30mm and a 30mm optic of your choice, probably a 1-4X.

A rifle scope on a Mini-14 is not wasted. Some like optics on a firearm, especially if there are some vision issues on being unable to focus on the front sight, say if you are nearsighted.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post