SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    LWRC AR pistol vs PSA (10.5")
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LWRC AR pistol vs PSA (10.5") Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I have been looking at 10.5" AR pistols in 556 for a while now and even recently inquired about a Palmetto State Armory 10.5" upper though I really don't want to piece together a gun. I'd rather buy one that is already built. Question is, in my searching for a budget AR pistol, I found the LWRC DI 10.5" pistol and I really like the specs and the look of it. It is a lot more expensive, however, like almost 3 times the cost as the PSA.

Are LWRC's really that much better? I have read good things about them and some even say they are at the top with DD and BCM, but you all probably know more than me.

I also am not sure what is best to go with in terms of rail, be it the old school quad rail, keymod, or Mlok? I like the looks of MLOK though the LWRC is sort of a proprietary MLOK like handguard. They also off the MLOK, but the one I'm looking at is slightly different and I like the looks. Just not sure if I want to go with a non mainstream type of rail.

Anyway, should I just live a little and get the LWRC and be one and done or is the PSA almost as good for a third the price?

LWRC in question, though it would have SBA3 brace
https://www.lwrci.com/p-5246-i...istol-brace-556.aspx

PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com...stol-5165448581.html

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints about the PSA products I have; I know LWRC is synonymous with high quality, but would be hard pressed to spend the extra loot myself.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15551 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I have no complaints about the PSA products I have; I know LWRC is synonymous with high quality, but would be hard pressed to spend the extra loot myself.

This...I have two builds using complete PSA uppers, a 16" mid length and a 10.5" pistol (the complete upper with BCG, charging handle and 12" M-Lok slant hand-guard with a KAK flash can, they had as a "daily deal" last year)...they have both functioned 100% with a couple of thousand rounds of both steel case and brass ammo in each...the quality of the PSA M-Lok hand-guard seems to be as good as the AREO hand-guards in fit in finish on a couple of my other builds...
That being said, my only factory AR is a Ruger AR556...everything else is my own creation Razz...
I am very satisfied with PSA from my experience with them.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I’ve been lookin for a good AR Pistol for my wife. That deal from PSA is pretty tempting.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Well for me, I'm leery of the SBA3 brace, because it's a huge departure from what ATF 'approved. " However, I would have a hard time justifying the cost of LWRC over the PSA. If, like me, you are leery of the SBA3, you could swap to one of any number of other braces and tubes, and still be well below the cost of LWRC.

With regard to the handguards, I'd go with M-lok. I actually think keymod is ok too, but since the report on the Crane testing, the Tactical Timmys have all decided Mlok rules and keymod drools, so it appears Mlok will end up being VHS and Keymod will end up being BetaMax.

On my new AR9 I went with Mlok, because that was what PSA had in stock, but I would have been cool with Keymod too. Prior to that all my stuff was either a quad picatinny rail (too heavy, and bulky), or the old SS series free float tubes from Midwest Industries. While I like the MLok and Keymod better then the SS series from MI, I'm not going to rush out and replace them.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho: Question is, in my searching for a budget AR pistol,

I have a few PSA products, and regardless of their price point have been very happy with their performance. One is a travel pistol in 300BO so I trust it enough for that role. I have never held or shot a LWRC product, but as a cheap-ass Low Speed, High Drag operator don't really see the need to.

Does your budget include the ammo to feed it? Once you bring it home it will develop a tremendous appetite.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't spend the extra for the LWRC. But that's just me. I'd buy the PSA and spend the extra $1K on ammo.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Well I ordered the PSA. At $550 shipped for a 10.5” AR with all the features this one has seems like a good deal. Thanks for the teplies and advice guys!

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post