SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend a quick-detach, lightweight 30mm scope mount for AR-15?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a quick-detach, lightweight 30mm scope mount for AR-15? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I am purchasing my first LPV scope for the AR-15 (upgrading from an Aimpoint PRO), and I need a mount. My criteria are simple:

1. As lightweight as possible - This is going on a light 16" BCM
2. Quick-detach - This rifle does have irons, so I'd like to easily switch to those if needed (but I'm no "operator"). It's also just convenient.
3. Tried and true - This rifle is build using a "tried and true" formula and I'd like to stick with that concept.
4. Perhaps a "high" mount - I know a lot of the AR-15 scope mounts are around 1.5" height above the rail, but after using my Aimpoint PRO which is a little above co-witness, but not quick lower 1/3 height, I feel like I need a decently high mount. I'm 6'2" tall and feel like my head is scrunched down to see thru the Aimpoint.

So what do you recommend? The new Scalarworks LEAP scope mount looks wonderful with it's built-in leveling feature, but the price tag is pretty steep. I know ADM RECON mounts are well-regarded and they do come in a high version.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I happen to prefer the bobro ones fwiw.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
LaRue or ADM.

I have owned both. Still own the ADM. Odd quirk of how it happened but I wish I still had the LaRue. Not enough difference to prompt me to switch.

I never utilize the QD feature.....

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have LaRue and GG&G in a true QD, and Nightforce in a sort-of fast D.

I feel the GG&G holds zero a little better upon detach/remount than the LaRue -- but the difference won't be noticeable to the vast majority of shooters.

IMO the Nightforce mount is the most solid and the most precise, but it requires a wrench to detach/remount.

I don't recall ever detaching the scope on my long-ish distance precision ARs. I have detached my primary mid-power variable scopes on my carbines to switch to a low-power variable optic -- primarily for training classes that really emphasize the use of a LPV scope.

I no longer have iron sights on any of my ARs, even SBR uppers. I don't feel they're necessary with good optics.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
LaRue. The new LT204 CAN model is less expensive but the same as my favorite, LT104.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I dislike the QD set-up on my ADM. In hindsight, I wish I would've saved money and just bought the Vortex fixed rail scope like I did on it's fraternal twin (1 in 5.56 and other in 6.5G). I have 45 degree offset sights so if the Vortex scope goes down I can go directly to irons without having to remove a scope.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The LEAP looks great but it's way expensive and I'm not sold on the ring mounting setup.

I have used a lot of American Defense mounts but they are locked on very tight, some I have to use a dowel rod to unlock (had a SCAR 17 rock two QD locks off twice).

Geissele has some great optic mounts in addition to what has already been mentioned. And the more I shoot the less I see the need for QD mounts - I have no issue with my Addmount that take a quick turn of a wrench to remove it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
And the more I shoot the less I see the need for QD mounts -

Agreed.

It is one of those things that sounds good in theory, but doesn't pan out that way in practice.

Speaking as a guy who has a QD mount on the rifle I shoot the most, and two non QD mounts on the next two highest volume rifles.... QD is of limited utility UNLESS you are actually swapping optics for different scenarios on the same rifle.

I trust my mount to return to zero but I still don't do it.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I have had success with the ADM mounts. Like RHINOWSO said, they can take some effort to remove.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I really like my ADM Recon mounts, the have all worked very well, but at ~8.5oz they aren't very light.

My Scalarworks red-dot mounts have been excellent so I thought their new scope mount looked interesting. I was surprised to see that there are no machined/squared recoil lugs on the bottom surface that interface with the Pic rail, it's only relying on the round thru-bolts with minimal contact points. That may be ok for a lightweight red-dot, and Scalarworks knows their stuff so it's probably fine, but IMO a mount for a significantly heavier scope needs some machined in/squared recoil lugs to minimize shifting on the rail during recoil. Picture of the underside here:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2...coming-in-6-8-weeks/

I still use QD mounts for my red dots, but for a quality scope with an etched reticle I'm also not seeing the need for QD as much anymore.

I am using the Aero Ultralight scope mount for my Trijicon Accupower 1-4 on my SCAR 16S. It has been an excellent one-piece mount. Very solid, low profile, 3 machined recoil lugs, only 3.3oz, and also about half the price of the typical QD options. I'm also tall and I find the 1.5" height to be just right for a LPV optic.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.c...extended-scope-mount

https://www.amazon.com/ULTRALI...TENDED/dp/B00IB1V842

Only downside, the clamshell rings take a bit more patience to get the scope exactly level, as they tend to rotate the scope slightly more than typical split rings when you torque it down.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Bobro mounts are expensive, but they are rock solid and return to zero very reliably.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
LaRue. The new LT204 CAN model is less expensive but the same as my favorite, LT104.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/

Yep. I prefer the tool less C.A.N. System on the 204 to the system to the LT 104.

I think they go a tad over 7oz. Mine hold zero pretty good from rifle to rifle. The vertical ring halves really help level the scope. I installed using the seam of the rings as TDC and I put a level on it it was perfect. I have the adjustments written down so I have a zero for each rifle. It’s about $100 cheaper than the 104 also.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
Bobro for the win!

I have tried quite a few QD mounts and I have found Bobro to be the best.

Also, if you like to move optics around, the Bobro design auto-adjusts for tolerance differences in various mounting rails. No need to tweak a little nut like the ADM mounts or remember to pack a wrench like the LaRue mounts.

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Scalarworks red-dot mounts have been excellent so I thought their new scope mount looked interesting. I was surprised to see that there are no machined/squared recoil lugs on the bottom surface that interface with the Pic rail, it's only relying on the round thru-bolts with minimal contact points. That may be ok for a lightweight red-dot, and Scalarworks knows their stuff so it's probably fine, but IMO a mount for a significantly heavier scope needs some machined in/squared recoil lugs to minimize shifting on the rail during recoil.

I have to agree with you on that one re: no recoil lugs. Geissele goes with 3, as does my ADDMOUNT.

I'm all about saving weight but it's gotta be able to stand up. And at $399.99 per, I think they may be priced out of the market if it's not 100% wired tight.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
My Scalarworks red-dot mounts have been excellent so I thought their new scope mount looked interesting. I was surprised to see that there are no machined/squared recoil lugs on the bottom surface that interface with the Pic rail, it's only relying on the round thru-bolts with minimal contact points. That may be ok for a lightweight red-dot, and Scalarworks knows their stuff so it's probably fine, but IMO a mount for a significantly heavier scope needs some machined in/squared recoil lugs to minimize shifting on the rail during recoil.

I have to agree with you on that one re: no recoil lugs. Geissele goes with 3, as does my ADDMOUNT.

I'm all about saving weight but it's gotta be able to stand up. And at $399.99 per, I think they may be priced out of the market if it's not 100% wired tight.

Bobro mounts have been shown to exhibit fore and aft movement as well, their lever is insufficient to overcome the lack of a machined recoil lug. Some of that is dependent upon the weight of the optic. I don't think I would go that route. People I trust have had issues.

Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with one of the Larue mounts. What are the pros and cons of each model? Also, I don't see any weights on their website. Any idea on that? Thanks.

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm uncertain if weights are listed side-by-side for the various LaRue models. If you stick with a basic type of mount -- 1 piece vs. 2 piece, QD vs. non-QD -- there probably won't be much weight difference between comparable models. Besides, part of an ounce or even an ounce here and there won't make a tangible difference in how the rifle performs.

If you're going QD, go with a 1 piece. IMO 2-piece mounts are for fixed optics, and essentially are rings.

If you like your scope mounted fairly forward, and your rifle's mounting area doesn't extend all that far forward, consider a mount with a forward cantilever.

For a LPV optic you can get by with a flat (i.e. non-canted) mount. You're not going to shoot a LPV rifle at great distances, where the canted base makes sense. That said, a canted base won't hurt the optic's performance, either.

For most rifles a 1.5" (-ish) height is about right. This results in roughly a 2.5" center of optic over bore height. For me the LT104 works well. The LT135 is a little higher at 1.9". The LT139 has extra forward extension -- at least for my ARs, it's not necessary. LT158 works, and has some canting.

Be careful when tightening rings on your LPV. Follow Larue's instructions on tightening screws. Da webz purports instances where vertically split rings resulted in inconsistent performance in returning to zero. I suspect much of this is from (1) cheap mounts and (2) improper tightening of the screws. Consider a torque device, if you don't have one already.

Larue mounts have worked for me for LPV optics.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with one of the Larue mounts. What are the pros and cons of each model? Also, I don't see any weights on their website. Any idea on that? Thanks.

Chris

If you haven’t pulled the trigger on the Larue yet, are you interested in the Weaver MSR? I picked a scope and mount on the forum and will likely be going in a different direction. I’d be willing to sell it for a good bit less than retail.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-with-integral-rings

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, fritz. Since this install is semi-permanent, it sounds like the new VFZ mount is the way to go. Any pros/cons on that vs the legacy QD mount?

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Not quick detach but by far the nicest scope rings and lightest I have ever had.

LINK

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post