SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can someone ID this Colt AR model?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone ID this Colt AR model? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I am looking for one. But am leary of the whole Colt model fiasco they have embarked on in recent years. The smart phone square thing on the lower bugs me. I want a real deal Colt. Thanks

**edited**

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It does not appear to be a Colt rifle. It's a Colt lower receiver, but it appears to be mated to someone else's upper. One big clue is that old style carbine handguard. For many years now, Colt has used only the M4-style double shield handguard. Contact the seller and ask them what forging mark is on the left side of the upper receiver. Also, ask the seller if the buffer tube lock nut is staked. This would be a good indication that it's a complete Colt lower. You can buy complete lowers for Colts, or at least you have been able to in the recent past. If it's not staked, then its just a Colt lower receiver. Caveat emptor.

The QR code on the lower receiver is correct for Colt lowers made from 2016 to the present. Since it's mated to an upper with a handguard Colt has not offered for at least a decade...

Please do not post links to gunbroker auctions.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
looks like a later produced 6721 but my 6721 is marked AR15A3 but it is more than 12 yrs old.
^^^ what Para said ^^^ I can see a forge mark but cant make it out. handguards can be changed out and w/o better pics..it looks like a S&W upper..just from pics

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That lower was made sometime from 2016 to the present. The QR code and the "Colt M4" marking indicate this.

The Rock Island-style M4 buttstock is correct for a Colt, but they're as common as can be.

Th upper should have a forge marking for Square Forge, which is, well, a square symbol. Actually, come to think of it, I think the marking is somewhat rectangular. I'd have to pull out a rifle to check.

Also, a recent production Colt upper will have Colt's CAGE code stamped on the barrel, at the top, near the muzzle.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks guys. Sorry about the GB link. I forgot that is a no no.

I would love an older 6920. Probably just pick up a 6920 complete upper as they seem to be available for a pretty decent price. Thanks again.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post