SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Henry lever action rifles in 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry lever action rifles in 45-70 Login/Join 
posted
Good evening fellow members. I need some help with Henry lever action rifles in 45-70. I am interested in one of these in 45-70 as my do all back woods in the middle of nowhere rifle. I grew up learning how to shoot with a Winchester model 94. So I am comfortable with the lever action. Is this a good choice? We have moose,white tail deer, and black bears than can get up to 300-350 pounds. So what does the forum think?

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Especially if you reload, I’d look to the 444 Marlin or one of the other, slightly more modern choices, ‘Wind River’ movie aside.

If you want the history and nostalgia, by all means go with the 45-70. For some reason I’m not all that impressed with the ballistics of the 45-70, more so as you add a little distance.

Just editing to add, there are some modern loads that do make the 45-70 more viable, ‘leverevolution’ loads for one, from Hornady.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Henry makes a very good gun (though I prefer Marlin). The .45-70 is a fine choice for what you listed. Even in the standard, trapdoor-safe 405 grain load, it is a good choice for what you listed. (After all, it was black powder .45-70 rounds that took down how many bison in the 1800s?) Just understand its trajectory. But it's a fine round and a fine gun, and in brush and for short shots, it's about perfect.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of most of the Henry guns. I prefer Marlin. But the 45-70 can be everything from a mild plinker to a a pretty potent round with handloads. Plus you can also find ammo in just about any gun shop or mart store if you're not a handloader.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the preferences of the Marlin do you members prefer over the Henry? I’m clueless. Although I owned a Marlin 336c years ago. It was a good gun. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Educate me on the Marlin vs Henry? I’m also not 100% decided on the 45-70. I live in the northeast and my state is heavily forested in the northern half. That’s where I’m looking to buy a small piece of land and build my peaceful getaway in the woods several hundred miles away from where my present house is. I was looking for something in lever action. With more punch than .30-.30. Any recommendations?

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a 50’s Model 94 in 32 Win Spcl, kinda a cool gun.

If you want to go more modern a Browning BLR in 308 will do just about everything in the Eastern woods. They have made many versions over the years, still do. I prefer the stock with the pistol grip, but no biggie.

Not trying to rain on the 45-70 idea, but hey, with current times a 308 doubles as a SHTF iron.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the hankering for a lever 45/70 and bought a Chiappa 1886 with the 24" barrel and case hardened finish, its a beauty and carries 9 rds. Watch Hickok45, he has a lot of videos on lever 4570.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
What are the preferences of the Marlin do you members prefer over the Henry? I’m clueless. Although I owned a Marlin 336c years ago. It was a good gun. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Educate me on the Marlin vs Henry?

A lot of it is really just user preference, but I haven't been thrilled with the quality of Henry rifles. I've had two family members with new Henry centerfire rifles with issues and a local dealer told me he has a lot of returns on Henry rifles. But I know some people who love them. Marlin had their share of quality issues as well after Remington took over, but they seem to have gotten things straightened out.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
What are the preferences of the Marlin do you members prefer over the Henry? I’m clueless. Although I owned a Marlin 336c years ago. It was a good gun. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Educate me on the Marlin vs Henry? I’m also not 100% decided on the 45-70. I live in the northeast and my state is heavily forested in the northern half. That’s where I’m looking to buy a small piece of land and build my peaceful getaway in the woods several hundred miles away from where my present house is. I was looking for something in lever action. With more punch than .30-.30. Any recommendations?

Listen, there is nothing wrong with the Henry. Henry builds a fine gun and their big bores have good reputations. My issue with them is purely superficial, because there is nothing mechanically about them that is wrong. I just don't like the way some of them look. And I don't liked a loading tube. I like a receiver loading gate only. That's subjective and superficial. Plenty of knowledgeable gunners love them. I have good friend with Henrys.

I like Marlin. I have a history with them since I was a little boy. It's part nostalgia. When I was a kid I grew up shooting my grandad's Marlin takedown lever action in .30-30 that was made in 1909. My first centerfire rifle that I ever bought myself was a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I killed lots of deer with that gun. I bought an 1895 in .45-70 next. Then a Golden 39A in .22. I even had a Marlin bolt-action 12 gauge slug gun. Like a fool, I sold them when I thought my interests had changed.

Since then, Remington bought Marlin and makes Marlin rifles now in New York. In the 2011-2014 time frame, and occasionally there after, there were some quality issues. Remington bought Marlin and with it the right to build their rifles for which no technical drawings allegedly existed. Marlin had been turning them out on ancient, pre-calibrated equipment. Remington tried to build them on modern machinery and without technical drawings there was a big learning curve for them. Marlins made by Remington today are as good, and maybe better, than the old Marlin-made Marlins. And despite the fact that Remington makes Marlins now, they are still substantially the same guns produced 100 years ago.

Since I sold all my old Marlins, I've reacquired more made by Remington. I have a 336 in .30-30, a 336 in .35 Remington, an 1894 in .44 Mag, and an 1895 in .45-70. I also have a Model 60 SS .22 that is so accurate I can draw pictures with it. They are stellar and I prefer them to my old Marlin made Marlin guns.

So that's it. It comes down to preference. Henry, Marlin. Flip a coin. You'll get a good gun either way. And if a problem arises, both Henry and Marlin/Remington have outstanding customer service departments.

As far as .45-70 - stick with your choice. It will handle any game in North America if you do your part. The round is big, loud, thumping, fun. It's fun just to look at and fiddle with. Ammo is plentiful and varied. You can get ammo that is low power and low recoil, or you can buy ammo that will shoot all the way through a Cape Buffalo.

If you like the Henry buy it. If you want a .45-70, you can do much worse.

Just post some pictures of it when you get it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I've got the original factory ported Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 and the factory ported .444P Marlin (basically exact same 18.5" lever guns, just in different caliber). I've heard and read good things about the Henry, but since I already have my two thumpers, there's no reason for me, however if I was buying today, I'd seriously consider the Henry.

As to the 45/70 as a round, unless you have deeper pockets, handloading is the best way to get high performance from it as high performance ammo in 45/70 is expensive. Yes you can get original black powder equivalent loads for not too bad a price, but the good hunting stuff is not cheap. And even if you use high performance ammo, it's still a giant heavy inefficient bullet with a rainbow arc compared to most modern rifle rounds.

I actually prefer my 444 Marlin because it's more efficient at 200 to 350 grain bullet weights and functionally equivalent in DRT power for anything in North America without as much recoil. Unfortunately, the 444 Marlin seems to be waning a lot in popularity and production. Yes you can go into the seriously heavy 500+ grain weight bullets with the 45/70, but recoil starts becoming really brutal if you keeps the velocity up.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard nothing but good reports on Henry's. The new side gate models offer the best of both worlds now. You'd be hard pressed to find a more beautiful, functional rifle than one of these in 45-70. Well, maybe 35 Remington Smile

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I have taken several moose with my "older" all weather Henry .45-70 and it's simply a fantastic rifle. The only modification I did was adding Skinner peep sights. As to the tube loading, if you're doing speedy tactical reloads and can't get the job done with first mortars launched downrange, well.... that's on you. As for loading from the tube, it's really easy to top off.

Then just last year, Henry released a newer version with the threaded barrel and the addition of the side loading gate, so purists can now load either way...the side gate or the tube...but a purist would probably scoff at having two options..I won't even go into the threaded barrel on a lever gun throwing them off.

That all said, I've now got cans on both my Henry Frontier .22 and my new Henry .45-70. The .22 has brought home a lot of game and it's pretty cool doing it quietly, with an old school lever gun. I'm looking to putting down a moose in about 2 months with the suppressed .45-70, as my Silencerco Hybrid fits nicely on it.

Just my two cents..... not knocking Marlins. I'm just a Henry fan - you get an outstanding product, backed up by an awesome company all made in the USA.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the all weather model - I got one for a retirement present. Not as traditional with the silver and black - For me it is the ideal large bore lever

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I think Henry’s are pretty good especially with a side gate. I do prefer marlin. I have a 1895 GBL which is just about perfect for what I would want in a woods gun for big game.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post