SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cleaning a new shotgun that’s factory greased up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a new shotgun that’s factory greased up Login/Join 
Picture of lee40215
posted
Hi just bought a new Nickle shotgun that is totally covered in grease including the stock. Would goo b gone be ok for wiping the gun down and not hurt the finish or any better ideas out there

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
On my mosin I just wiped cosmoline off with a soft paper towel. After that cleaned it once. Then cleaned agian and oiled. Probably overkill but.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would use that stuff. Wipe as much off as possible with an old tee shirt or something similar. I've used lighter fluid on a rag as a solvent for grease. Outside, away from any potential source of ignition.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Rubbing alcohol works great for cutting grease. Not sure about using on a stock though...
I’d think the previous suggestions of a soft rag or paper towels would be a safer bet on the wood.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the wood off. Wrap it in newsprint and put it in a black garbage bag wrapped up. Set it the sunlight, even in a window that gets direct sun so that it gets hot. Change out the paper as it soaks it up. Takes time but it works to suck the grease out of the wood. Solvents just get it in deeper. Easy Off oven cleaner as a last ditch. Be prepared it if is really greased up the wood will weep oil from the grease every time it gets hot pretty much forever in bad cases. If it's relatively new it shouldn't be as bad.

The metal parts, clean with mineral spirits and a brush. Probably want to do that outside and wear some thick nitrile gloves. Don't use gasoline, none of your neighbors care to see a gasoline doused flaming spastic running about the neighborhood.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
nickel as in nickel plated?
what type of stock, wood? synthetic?

if nickeled and syn, just get some hoppes, mineral spirits, or gentle solvent and get to wiping,

if wood stock, would depend on the type finish

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post