SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why do some people like some scopes better than others?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do some people like some scopes better than others? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I believe the ATACR line at Nightforce has ED glass where the NXS did not, which explains why you see better with that scope.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can confirm that the NF ATACR models are ED glass. I have 2 and dumped the NXS after picking up the first ATACR. I have a an NX8 4-32 on the way as well. The NX8 is not listed as ED glass but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the ATACR line.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
I can confirm that the NF ATACR models are ED glass. I have 2 and dumped the NXS after picking up the first ATACR. I have a an NX8 4-32 on the way as well. The NX8 is not listed as ED glass but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the ATACR line.

It certainly looks like the NX8 series does not feature ED glass. I would expect quite a bit of CA on the 4-32X50 model.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
NikonUser, your discussion of the effect of higher quality glass on “mirage” was an eye-opener (NPI) like nothing else I’ve read about top tier scopes thus far. Thank you!

(I think, because now I am no longer so certain that I don’t need something like a March.)

sigfreund Thank you. Please understand and keep in mind that my hypothesis on how ED glass deals with mirage is just that, a hypothesis. I only have a bit of empirical data for it, and it's very unscientific and some anecdotal bits gleaned from other postings here and at other sites.

As the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating; so in this case, to prove that to yourself, you will need to try a riflescope with ED glass in your common conditions and compare.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry. I won’t blame you if I end up with something like a March scope.
Much. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post