SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIL Wants To Get a Stoner-Style Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIL Wants To Get a Stoner-Style Rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have no doubt that a Colt 6920 will likely serve the S-I-L well, and prices on Colts can be quite good. But unless something has changed recently, the 6920's barrel is not free floated. For many people that won't make much difference, because honestly their target distances are relatively close and they don't have the marksmanship skills to exploit a more accurate rifle.

Fitz,
The COLT 6920 trooper mentioned above comes from the factory with a free float centurion rail. Colt is finally learning (Maybe) from market force.

I've also found that the DD Omega rail is an easy way to free float an AR barrel without removing the delta ring. I just acquired a KAC RAS II to play with, that does similar.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Fitz,
The COLT 6920 trooper mentioned above comes from the factory with a free float centurion rail. Colt is finally learning (Maybe) from market force.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I haven't assembled or purchased an AR in a few years, so I can easily overlook individual models and their changes.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t get why the Colt is still the benchmark, other than for the Colt logo and now M4 rollmark. I sold my 6920 a couple of years and haven’t looked back. Even though brand new, it came in the bag with some dings and finish marks. Also, the trigger was horrible. I don’t think Colt quality is what it once was.

And before someone brings up the holy mil-spec arguement, this doesn’t seem to be much of a thing anymore. There are other guns that are mil-spec, and there are others that aren’t technically mil-spec, but are the same or better quality than the Colt. I think Colt has been trading off on their name and reputation for so long that everyone thinks they are the best. They aren’t, not in today’s world. Not saying don’t buy a Colt if you can find one at a good price, but don’t limit yourself by believing they are the gold standard.

Colt rifles have always had little dings and marks. While not ideal as a collectible, I've come to like this slight "charm" that each rifle has. Colt builds the AR line just like they do the mil/gov/LE fullauto line - parts are tossed in large bins without much regard for the finish, because a perfect finish is not part of the QC/QA protocol on mil guns. If this bothers you, you're not the right person to own a Colt AR. I have around a dozen Colts. 1960/70s fullautos, pre-94 blue labels, late 90s 6920s, early 2000s 6933s, 2012/13 6920s/6933/6943. While they all have a few character marks from the factory, none (luckily) were terribly blemished.

Where Colt excels is in the components they use and their QC/QA process before rifles are shipped. The same cannot be said for many other manufacturers.

I consider Colt, LMT, KAC, DD, and BCM to be the top tier AR manufacturers.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! You're the best!

Indiana Boy, what does "dt" mean?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t get why the Colt is still the benchmark, other than for the Colt logo and now M4 rollmark. I sold my 6920 a couple of years and haven’t looked back. Even though brand new, it came in the bag with some dings and finish marks. Also, the trigger was horrible. I don’t think Colt quality is what it once was.

And before someone brings up the holy mil-spec arguement, this doesn’t seem to be much of a thing anymore. There are other guns that are mil-spec, and there are others that aren’t technically mil-spec, but are the same or better quality than the Colt. I think Colt has been trading off on their name and reputation for so long that everyone thinks they are the best. They aren’t, not in today’s world. Not saying don’t buy a Colt if you can find one at a good price, but don’t limit yourself by believing they are the gold standard.

Colt rifles have always had little dings and marks. While not ideal as a collectible, I've come to like this slight "charm" that each rifle has. Colt builds the AR line just like they do the mil/gov/LE fullauto line - parts are tossed in large bins without much regard for the finish, because a perfect finish is not part of the QC/QA protocol on mil guns. If this bothers you, you're not the right person to own a Colt AR. I have around a dozen Colts. 1960/70s fullautos, pre-94 blue labels, late 90s 6920s, early 2000s 6933s, 2012/13 6920s/6933/6943. While they all have a few character marks from the factory, none (luckily) were terribly blemished.

Where Colt excels is in the components they use and their QC/QA process before rifles are shipped. The same cannot be said for many other manufacturers.

I consider Colt, LMT, KAC, DD, and BCM to be the top tier AR manufacturers.

Colt had , likely still does, used paint to correct issues,

thick stuff, you would usually see it on the area around the roll pin for the bolt stop,

basically Colt Gray touch up paint, similar to the Kodak Black that was used to touch up camera bodies,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my Sig M-400 Enhanced. $1030 with Magpul furniture, Magpul flip up sights, and a Romeo 1 holographic sight included.

Decent trigger for a stock AR; far superior to the trigger on the Smith & Wesson, slightly better than the Colt 6920. Comes standard with ambi selector and mag release.

This gun is much more accurate than I am, and is set up like an M4. The Predator versions of the M-400 are free floated for even greater accuracy potential.

Fit and finish are excellent as are some of the non-mil-spec additions, such as quick release sling sockets cast into the receiver.

They are definitely worth checking out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Thanks gentlemen! You're the best!

Indiana Boy, what does "dt" mean?

I had two windows open to reply and couldn't get the delete button to work on my phone screen. It meant double tap. Sorry about that.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Colt had , likely still does, used paint to correct issues,

thick stuff, you would usually see it on the area around the roll pin for the bolt stop,

basically Colt Gray touch up paint, similar to the Kodak Black that was used to touch up camera bodies,

They haven't done that in many years. It seems this practice ended when they stopped doing gray anodizing. They used to apply it to CAR stock stake marks and also commonly on the back edge of the pivot pin hole for the bolt catch.

I may be an oddball on this one; I quite like that touch up paint. It also gives an easy identifier of whether an older Colt has a factory CAR stock. No paint or buggered up paint, not factory installed.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
1st-I thought SIL was sister in law??

I believe he meant Son-in-Law

Makes sense but I didn't get that either ... and I have 2 of them!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If it was my son in law, I would spend a little extra and buy him one just like he used in the military.

A real Colt 6920 with a Knights RAS rail will be about as close as possible to what the troops are issued.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Something I enjoy about my AR-15 is it is far better than what I carried in the military.

As for caliber if it's for a hunting look at 6.5 Grendel? Before people start screaming ammunition cost wolf now loads for this round and it can be bought for $0.25 a shot. It also gives a very impressive range to the AR-15 while adding about 50% more power.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If it was my son in law, I would spend a little extra and buy him one just like he used in the military.

A real Colt 6920 with a Knights RAS rail will be about as close as possible to what the troops are issued.

there is a FN that is very close to the military version since they make the m-4's for the military.

I personally wouldnt get hung up on what the militray uses. Give me a civiliian rifle anyday. mlok or key mod are both newer and lighter with more mounting options.

I would go with a bravo company. actually I am when I get the money Smile. maybe upgrade the trigger down the road

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the LaRue OBR 5.56 or a PredatOBR 5.56 with a 20" barrel as the target rifle. The barrel is floated. It will also serve the hunting need for your son-in-law. (I, also, first thought that SIL was sister-in-law!)
Because of the length of the barrel, it will not do as a home defense gun, so you should also get an upper with a 12" barrel and go through the NFA requirements for it.

This rifle is not cheap, but who wants an epitaph "He lived a very cheap life"?

You might also check out the forum at ar15.com

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I think .22 caliber is too small for hunting in most states ... although I'm not a hunter I know it's too small in Kansas ... IIRC you need a 243 or larger.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Look at Aero Precision.

I have been 110% impressed with their quality, so much so my AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore is an Aero.

Out of the box, it was a 0.75MOA rifle.

Some minor enhancements (mostly a Giessele SSA-E trigger) and it is a 0.5MOA rifle.

For about $1,500, including optics.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post