SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIL Wants To Get a Stoner-Style Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIL Wants To Get a Stoner-Style Rifle Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
My SIL wants to get an AR-15 type rifle. Maybe 5.56, maybe .300 blackout. He ETS'd from the US Army as an E6 a couple years ago, so is very familiar with the M-16 and its M-4 variant.

He owns a couple of pistols and a .22 rifle, but no other rifles at this time.

He wants it for 1) household defense in the zombie apocalypse, 2) hunting, 3) target shooting.

He asked me which manufacturer and caliber I'd buy if I were buying one. Though I have a Garand and a Springfield M-1A, I've never owned an AR-15 type rifle, haven't shot one since I retired from the Army, so really haven't considered the relevant issues about which one would be the best to own and can't give him a cogent answer.

Most of you guys know a whole lot more about this than I do, so I am asking your considered opinion regarding: Among the plethora of AR-15 manufacturers out there, which would be the best, and what makes that one the best?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Biggest question:

Is there a budget in mind?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
1st-I thought SIL was sister in law??

2nd-Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, some of the current Armalite offerings, LMT all make stellar AR15s. I would stay 5.56/.223 Wylde chamber.

Hard to beat the prices on Colt 6920 these days.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe the Colt A4... The A4 has received appreciation here. I am very far removed from being an expert on the system. And have only about 100 rds through mine at 30-100 yards (rain summoner this gun is). Yet the A4 has that 'just right' balance and heft.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
5.56/.223 will be pretty difficult to go hunting with..

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Depends what you are hunting for and what the laws require. Last time I hunted in NY you couldn't use a .22 for deer but you could for small game and coyote. But, A quick change of the upper and mag and the sky is the limit.

I would also recommend BCM, COLT, Daniels Defense and LMT in 5.56mm for HD and Target shooting. Colt has a 6920 trooper model that the guys on M4 Carbine.net going ga ga and the OEM 1 and 2 models are affordable and let you do some customizing out of the box. BCM and DD have a more diverse portfolio and I own many BCM uppers that I am happy with. DD is highly reguarded here and several members own them and have posted happy reports.

I do agree with Creslin that 5.56mm is not the most versatile hunting round.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes but a larger caliber increases initial cost and generally doubles the cost of ammo.

I would start with a 5.56 personally. Mid-Length 16" from BCM is a great place to start.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
1st-I thought SIL was sister in law??

I believe he meant Son-in-Law

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Depending on his budget...the Ruger AR 556 can be had for around $450 from Buds online with free shipping...mine has been perfect and accuracy is way more than I expected in a budget rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+16.1+FLD+30R+BLKSYN

My neighbor purchased a Savage AR from Buds about a month ago...it's a .223 Wylde mid length and in the limited range time he has used it he is very pleased. His is the model with the forward assist (the model 22900 lacks this feature). The .223 Wylde is the chamber demension not a caliber...it still allows both .223 or .556 to be used but it is somewhat a match chamber. For the money this rifle offers quite a lot...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...2F.223+16-inch+30Rds

From the Savage website...

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MSR15Patrol

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
1st-I thought SIL was sister in law??. . .

Maybe it is. But I thought SIL stood for Son-in-law. If not, it wouldn't be the first time I was ever wrong.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biggest question:

Haven't discussed one.

He and #3Dau are doing well, don't necessarily need or want a gold-plated wonder-gun that's been modified and autographed by a world-famous gunsmith, but can afford and deserve a good, reliable, long-lived, commercially available AR.

So what kind of budget does that call for?

Thanks,

Sap

posted Hide Post
in the world of AR's the benchmark gun is a Colt 6920. They cost between 800-900 these days.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Biggest question:

Haven't discussed one.

He and #3Dau are doing well, don't necessarily need or want a gold-plated wonder-gun that's been modified and autographed by a world-famous gunsmith, but can afford and deserve a good, reliable, long-lived, commercially available AR.

So what kind of budget does that call for?

I'm serious...that dang Savage I posted above impressed the hell outta me...I still believe it's a lot of gun for the money...

That being said...for 90% of shooters just looking for a fun basic AR...the Rugers, Savages or the S&W MPs will give them a good reliable rifle from a reliable manufacturer that stands behind their product if needed...that's just my 2 cents Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windham Weaponry is a solid cost-effective choice also.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...4+A3+223+16+FLAT+30R

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 is so inexpensive right now. Would be foolish to buy anything else. The 6920 Trooper carbine comes with a Centurion CMR Mlok handguard.

$704 Colt 6920 Trooper

$684 Colt 6920 Trooper

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2321 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t get why the Colt is still the benchmark, other than for the Colt logo and now M4 rollmark. I sold my 6920 a couple of years and haven’t looked back. Even though brand new, it came in the bag with some dings and finish marks. Also, the trigger was horrible. I don’t think Colt quality is what it once was.

And before someone brings up the holy mil-spec arguement, this doesn’t seem to be much of a thing anymore. There are other guns that are mil-spec, and there are others that aren’t technically mil-spec, but are the same or better quality than the Colt. I think Colt has been trading off on their name and reputation for so long that everyone thinks they are the best. They aren’t, not in today’s world. Not saying don’t buy a Colt if you can find one at a good price, but don’t limit yourself by believing they are the gold standard.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t get why the Colt is still the benchmark, other than for the Colt logo and now M4 rollmark. I sold my 6920 a couple of years and haven’t looked back. Even though brand new, it came in the bag with some dings and finish marks. Also, the trigger was horrible. I don’t think Colt quality is what it once was.

And before someone brings up the holy mil-spec arguement, this doesn’t seem to be much of a thing anymore. There are other guns that are mil-spec, and there are others that aren’t technically mil-spec, but are the same or better quality than the Colt. I think Colt has been trading off on their name and reputation for so long that everyone thinks they are the best. They aren’t, not in today’s world. Not saying don’t buy a Colt if you can find one at a good price, but don’t limit yourself by believing they are the gold standard.

I totally agree.

AR prices are so low now for quality guns there's almost too much to choose from.

I understand the concept of : spend the extra $150 to get the 'name brand'.

But I am more of the : save the extra $150 and buy mags and ammo.

Plus the Colts listed above don't come with sights so you figure that's an extra $100 + / -.

Good to have nice choices though - very different from the A / B / C days of 20 years ago...

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
of the choices listed, the ruger would be on the bottom,
simply because of the proprietary front sight on them and the screw on delta ring,

but that is a personal opinion,

bushmaster and dpms are basically the same, both built in the same plant,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that a Colt 6920 will likely serve the S-I-L well, and prices on Colts can be quite good. But unless something has changed recently, the 6920's barrel is not free floated. For many people that won't make much difference, because honestly their target distances are relatively close and they don't have the marksmanship skills to exploit a more accurate rifle.

On a fairly regular basis on both this and other gun enthusiast websites, a 6920 owner asks how he can free float the barrel to improve accuracy. Quite often the responses include -- don't do it, you'll hurt the resale value of the 6920, buy another upper if you really want accuracy, you really shouldn't be putting pressure on the hand guard via a sling or bipod.

I demand accuracy from all my rifles, at all times, regardless of the how the rifle is held or supported. I sure wouldn't have the stock of my bolt action rifles affecting their accuracy.

OP -- look into an AR with a free floated barrel. I second the comments above which recommend BCM, Daniel, and LMT. However there are lower cost options out there, too. Knowing your budget is a good place to start. Also consider the total package cost of the rifle, some of which you may or may not want -- sling, magazines, bipod, optics, optics mount, light.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
dt

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post