SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells XM16E1 retro rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells XM16E1 retro rifle Login/Join 
posted
Picked up my new Brownells Retro XM16E1 rifle today. Very nice. Came with a normal body 20 rd USGI mag, not the waffle mag in the picture. Picked that up separately from them. Definitely thinking about picking up one of their XM177E2s

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
How is the furniture?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s OK. Decent reproductions, I think. Finding original furniture in decent shape is getting harder and harder.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Let us know how it shoots!

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Would the XM177's use the waffle mag as well? Or are they that much newer to use the standard 20 rd mags?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Would the XM177's use the waffle mag as well? Or are they that much newer to use the standard 20 rd mags?

Think the waffle mage were only used with the original 601s and on very early XM16E1s. Believe they were gone by the time the XM177 came out.

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:

They got pissed at me over on ARFCOM because I was pointing out some obvious "issues" with Brownells retro XM177. I guess I was being too critical for some. As a relic of the past, I was always told that anything worth doing was worth doing right. It was implied that these retro rifles were not meant for "perfectionists". And so it goes...

Oh, XM177s came into existence long after the waffle mags were phased out.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:

They got pissed at me over on ARFCOM because I was pointing out some obvious "issues" with Brownells retro XM177. I guess I was being too critical for some. As a relic of the past, I was always told that anything worth doing was worth doing right. It was implied that these retro rifles were not meant for "perfectionists". And so it goes...

I built a faux XM177 a few years back...on a budget....so not 100% correct. Whats not correct on the new Brownell gun? NOT trying to start a pissin' match, simply want to know.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's with the BCG color? Is that the original version?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
That's sharp! Although a clone, it's neat to see one new, knowing there's no pony logo on the other side. I don't recall the name, but there's a website that sells original furniture in various states of condition. If I can hunt it down I'll post it.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
What's with the BCG color? Is that the original version?

The model 601s and early XM16E1s had chromed bolt carriers. The swap to phosphated BCGs occurred during XM16E1 production.

posted Hide Post
Nice looking retro rifle, what is Brownells asking for them? Nice alternative to all the tacti-cool AR15'S on the market.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Nice looking retro rifle, what is Brownells asking for them? Nice alternative to all the tacti-cool AR15'S on the market.

$1600 in .308, $1300 in 5.56

And it looks like they're rolling out most everything from these as parts, too.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brownells Retro XM16E1

Surprised they kept the authentic 1 x12 twist.

My department had a Model 601 in the armory. bought from Colt back in the mid 60's full auto. Never had many rounds through it. traded years later for M4's.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I dig it!!!!! Smile

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:

I built a faux XM177 a few years back...on a budget....so not 100% correct. Whats not correct on the new Brownell gun? NOT trying to start a pissin' match, simply want to know.

a) The front sling swivel should be roll pinned in place, not riveted.
b) There should be no bayonet lug present.
c) The ejection port door should have a short metal block on the exterior, not a long block.
d) The handguard slip ring should be the delta variety not the same diameter narrow variety.
e) The receiver extension/recoil spring tube castle nut should have notches (to stake) on the front towards the receiver and holes (to tighten) in the middle of the exterior ring, not notches in both the front and rear of the ring.

All of the above are relatively low cost fixes to make the rifle's appearance "correcter". The most obvious high cost fix would be to manufacture a nylon covered aluminum sliding butt stock. This obvious error was not mentioned or hinted at in any manner.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

$1600 in .308, $1300 in 5.56

And it looks like they're rolling out most everything from these as parts, too.

Ouch....a little to steep for my budget :-( I'm glad Brownells is building them and I hope sales are brisk.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
MG34_Dan,

Thanks for the info.

My budget XM...

https://ibb.co/cRnNQc
https://ibb.co/hTx0BH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Surprised they kept the authentic 1x12 twist.

There must people who want "authentic" over "utility". I have no barrels with twist rates slower than 1/8.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's cool they are building them, but for the price I'd prefer to build my own, specifically for reasons like wanting to use a 1/7 twist barrel, which they do sell in the A1 pencil profile.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post