SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School me on optics mounts, please...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on optics mounts, please... Login/Join 
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted
I'm looking at mounting the new Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6 on a Colt 16 inch 1/7 twist mid-gas carbine.
I'm looking for a 30mm ringed mount, that's high enough to mount BUIS, but not so high that it gives up cheek weld.
I've been the LaRue route before, but I'm looking for something a little less expensive.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
LaRue is great, but also look at American Defense. I got one of their Recon mounts for my last build and it works really well. Holds zero with multiple remounts, and the QD levers are easier to work than Larue. Plus it was significantly cheaper even before I got it through one of the regular Primary Arms sales.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If you still want QD I would go with the AD Recon mount. I find the 1.470" centerline mount height (w/30mm rings) to be ideal for optics on an AR. It weighs 8.5 ounces.

https://www.americandefenseman....com/view/product/5/

If you want something lighter weight and don't need QD then I would get the Aero Ultralight extended scope mount. It only weighs 3.3oz and is more affordable than the QD choices.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/u...ded-scope-mount.html

I really like the Aero mount, it's very solid. The only downside I have found to this mount is that it's more challenging to get the scope reticle exactly level. The screws only located on the bottom of the ring halves causes the scope to rotate more than expected as you torque it down. So it just takes a few extra tries to account for that rotation and get things perfectly level.

The picture below shows the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 using the Aero mount on my SCAR 16S with adequate clearance for BUIS.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Check out the Warne X-skel as well.

Not QD but that saves a lot of coin.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the ADM Recon mount. I'm using 6 of them on my AR's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Thought about some 45* offset buis? My Dueck Defense sights are excellent and allow for a scope to be mounted in a natural cheek weld height.

https://dueckdefense.com/product-tag/rts/

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I've been the LaRue route before, but I'm looking for something a little less expensive.

Some options available are the Burris PEPR mount and Millet makes a one piece raised mount that will fit 30mm tubes (discontinued but still available at some Walmarts). Vortex makes a one piece cantilever mount that is about $99 at MidwayUSA

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a AD-RECON-SL 30mm for sale on eBay right now.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post