SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    US Army moving to 7.62??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Army moving to 7.62?? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ain't gonna happen. No way.

Dang, I wish I was on some armed forces committee and could initiate all these trials, just so I could play with a bunch of cool shit. That's what's going on.

Posts: 107268 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ain't gonna happen. No way.

Dang, I wish I was on some armed forces committee and could initiate all these trials, just so I could play with a bunch of cool shit. That's what's going on.

LOL.

You're probably right. Lucky bastards.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Interesting to see where this goes.

I have said before - I will say it again - if they want more firepower in the Infantry platoons they should just add (1) medium machine gun to the MTOE. (making it 3 MG sections instead of 2 effectively increasing your heavier fire capability by +50%). Would add three men to each platoon.

Everybody lugging a 7.62mm makes no sense to me.

Plus I hear the new 5.56mm round is a big improvement.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, sounds like a plan. A belt fed 7.62mm to add some power to back up all those rifleman. Seems like some army did that before Big Grin

Seriously, no real change will happen. Just a few specialized rifles for special units. I do like the idea of having 2 DMR heavier caliber rifles in a platoon and an M60 gunner again.

I trained with the German Army on scoped G3 rifles to act as recon teams for an infantry platoon. Good fun and the concept was sensible.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
do they not use the M240 anymore?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

They do.
My son carries one.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Perhaps they see a need to penatrate personal armor with M80A1.

Looks like this is the case. Not that shocking, when fighting a real military you might want a round that will hit the soft bits.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...-advanced-body-armor

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Um, wasn't having to haul around the weight of a 7.62 M14 and ammo the reasons the Army went to 5.56 in the first place?

Is Russia going back to 7.62x54R rifles?

Yep, but coming from someone who recently repalced their M1A with a SCAR17......the weight of these rilfes will likely be a determinig factor if/when one gets selected.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It will not happen; we're tied to the 5.56 until the next great leap in ballistics comes along, like phase plasma rifles, or smart boolits that steer themselves.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen, we may see more 7.62 like the SCAR but they will never bring it back wholescale.

POGs would keel over from the weight

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Usually spend more time carrying so the light weight of m4 is a blessing. Can you imagine a 7.62 with lights and lasers etc...

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I just took delivery of a 540 round can of 7.62X51. It weighs a lot.

5.56 is 37 rounds per pound. 7.62 is 19 rounds per pound. A soldier humping junk in the boonies can carry twice as much 5.56 as 7.62. When our guys are already overloaded with pack, food, comms, water, ammo, rifle, grenades, armor, etc. Every pound counts.

I do some materiel contracting work with SOCOM; they are crazy about weight. Every. Ounce. Counts.

I simply do not see this happening across the force, especially given the capabilities available in 6mm and 6.5mm rounds. Adopting the 7.62 for everyone would be a step backwards.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12749 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I say wait 10-20 more years and we can straight to laser guns. Not even joking!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If soldiers are having difficulty penetrating some body armor, they have a weak spot. I see little wrong with DMR soldiers having to carry a 7.62 rifle plus the specialized ammo.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the .300 blackout...or is that the 6 or 6.5 mm
I read the blackout is better than the .5.56 and can be used in the same magazines. Never tried the round ...just asking.

Posts: 5 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

^^^^What he said. M855A1 performance was as good or better than M80 ball.

From a physics standpoint I'm finding this hard to believe.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Nope...they got a Bravo edition now that they are using...even in the freaking Coast Guard (sighs)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
just buy back all those Garands and man up to 30-06...

seriously, maybe invest in more range time for the troops. carrying heavier ammo to miss just as much seems to be a solution to the wrong question

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Stop wasting my tax dollars. Spend it on marksmanship training.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

^^^^What he said. M855A1 performance is as good or better than M80 ball.

From a physics standpoint I'm finding this hard to believe.

SgtGold - Up until recently (now retired), I worked ammunition acquisition in the Army. I have seen the data. I no longer have access to it but the M855A1 is that good.

Posts: 9005 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent article on the new US Mil 5.56mm ammunition.

Not comparing it to 7.62mm per se, but just an overall article about the improved ballistics.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...dard-ball-cartridge/

Nice to see they have made an improvement.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post