SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I guess Colt is back...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess Colt is back... Login/Join 
posted
So I was feeling a little snarky when Colt announced that they were getting back into the civilian AR market after it only seemed like a minute ago that they tucked tail and bailed. Trying to take advantage of the situation and all that. Timing is everything and it was clear (to me) that Colt was cashing in. For shame and all of that rot.

Then we got this one in, the first Colt AR to arrive post-reboot:

I never really had much of an interest in owning a LE6920 or any of the M-4 variations. But suddenly I've felt pangs of lust for this thing. Rollmarked 'M16A1', with all sorts of official-looking markings and stuff. Even a fun switch mark (no, it doesn't work). That integral carry handle is the bomb. So's the furniture and the teardrop forward assist button. It's frickin' cool...

Except the price. We got it marked at $2600, with only a so-so margin. Spendy to bring in; that's SCAR 16 money for sure. Cashing in they are. But I keep fondling the darn thing...one of our customers NEEDS to buy this sucker and get it out of my sight.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Stupidest thing I've seen in a long while, but I'm sure someone will pay it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
$2600

Eh?

Why would anyone pay more for a reproduction than an original preban green-label, NIB?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
$2600

Eh?

Why would anyone pay more for a reproduction than an original preban green-label, NIB?

I'm guessing...probably because a real M16A1 changes hands north of $20k? And Colt likely figures that a semi-auto reproduction at roughly 10% the going rate for the authentic is perhaps palatable? They certainly coaxed a lot of M1911A1 buyers into spending serious money for a copy of the recent Marines 1911, so maybe they're hoping lightning strikes again.

From what I found out Colt has been doing a "limited" run of these during the last four years. There was an intro for these in 2016. I didn't check the s/n to see if they gave any indication of this run size, or if it might be just a continuation/completion of the 2016 run. Up until we got this one in I didn't know a thing about these at all.

Through Google I also found out that we're about $100 over the going rate. We'll likely have to change its price tomorrow, and just live with less margin. At least that's my plan.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a buddy that bought one of those a year or two ago. He loves it and was happy to get it and shoots it all the time.

I found him a couple of mint Vietnam era 20 rounders with the alloy followers for it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is this an ad? It looks like an ad.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess Colt is back...

This thread title reminds me of that Geico commercial "Well, the squirrels are back..."

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Is this an ad? It looks like an ad.

Well it certainly wasn't intended to be. I posted this because I've become thoroughly smitten with this new arrival (except for the price part) and thought enough of it to want to share. This being the first Colt AR made during my time working in the industry that I'd actually like to have, with that retro Vietnam-era look that for some un-quantifiable reason floats my boat. My ideas of building a Brownell's copy no longer linger in my head.

If I only could get over its price. Even with my usual price break at the shop it's still one pricey rifle.

quote:
This thread title reminds me of that Geico commercial "Well, the squirrels are back..."

Big Grin

-MG

posted Hide Post
I wish they would concentrate more on their revolver line.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Colt retro line. They are beautiful. But the price should be $1200 - $1500 retail.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As the man says, for 2500 bucks, this should be a spot-on copy, and it is not. Details in the video.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As the man says, for 2500 bucks, this should be a spot-on copy, and it is not. Details in the video.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/--W3sRED9-4" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Yep. Very unfortunate. I wish Colt would sell the lower by itself. I have a new old stock Colt m16a1 rifle kit minus the lower that would go perfectly on this.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The upper and lower on the repro Colt are made by Nodak. While you can't get the Colt rollmark when you order directly from Nodak, I can attest to the quality of their lowers. I have a Nodak A2 lower I purchased in order to match an older Colt gray upper. The anodizing is a spot-on match for the upper and the machining of the receiver is as precise as any AR lower I've ever seen. I can't say enough good about Nodak.

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
The upper and lower on the repro Colt are made by Nodak.

Nodak has nothing to do with the Colt reissue, in fact the lower forgings are very much different.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did you watch the video? Are you saying the man is wrong?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Go to the 9:00 mark in the video. At 9:08, he addresses the maker of the upper. At the 9:50 mark, he addresses the maker of the lower receiver. Is he wrong?

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Hydramatic-made M16A1 I trained with back in the 80s.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bartocci is usually pretty good, but he’s not always correct. He’s going by “feel” on the upper and lower. It’s conjecture. I do agree with him that it’s terrible that the barrel, bolt, and carrier are not properly marked.

Only US Ordnance knows the answer to these details. And I’d guess that they signed an NDA with Colt.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's not going by feel of the lower. He makes a specific point.

posted Hide Post
quote:
He's not going by feel of the lower. He makes a specific point.

Yes he does. It may be that they use a Nodak forging for the lower. The front pivot pin ears look different on the Colt reissue guns. That could be done by milling, do that doesn’t rule out the use of Nodak forgings.

Again, it’s all conjecture unless it comes from Colt or US Ordnance.

His comments about the roll markings are kind of silly. I have multiple semi Colt ARs from the 90s to 2013 timeframe and several have light roll markings on the magwell. My Colt 614 factory machinegun has very faint magwell roll markings. And not all of the retro reissue rifles have these faint markings.