SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on the Savage 42?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the Savage 42? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
We're here in the land of WalMart and went into one that actually has a decent supply of firearms. Was checking them out, and handled a Savage 42. It's an overunder combo 22 and 410. I thought it might make a good first shotgun for my about-to-be 8 year old. WalMart wants $337 for it.

What say you all? If this model is no good, what's recommended? Last year he got a 10/22, that I set up with some help from y'all and he loves it. I'd like to take him hunting for some small game this year, which is a whole other discussion.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My impression of them after handling them when they first came out at SHOT 2012(?) was.... junk. And it made me really sad. Frown I had high hopes being a long time Savage 24 fan. (I'm the key holder of the ever sleepy Savage 24 forum)

Well... my thought was, it's built like a KelTec. This would be a great $150 gun to throw in a car trunk or behind the seat of a pickup truck. But it's not something I would want to shoot regularly, nor do I think it would hold up to it. They wanted well past $400 when they came out and I don't think they sold many at all.

If you're looking for something similar made of wood and metal, look into the Chiappa double badger. Still a little rough around the edges, but they've made improvements. All reports I've read have been satisfactory.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look for a double badger I can hold.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yiiiiii, waitaminute. I know someone down in the Valley with both the Savage and the Chiappa. The Savage is OK, but doesn't really impress in any particular regard. The Chiappa required a bit of file work to function without any problems, the sights are cheap, and factory support sucks.

They're a bit more expensive (in the $400 range these days, I think), but look for a Baikal IBZ94 in .22LR/.410. Getting the two to shoot roughly to the same point of aim takes a little time. Unlocking the action by pulling the trigger guard takes a little effort at first, but a kid with a modicum of determination can do it while suffering nothing more than a slightly reduced rate of fire. Opening the action does both smooth up and become easier with use. With a 19.7" barrel, it is one of the quieter (unsuppressed) .22s out there and provides good accuracy from CB Caps.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post