SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions requested for fox/coyote rifle caliber...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions requested for fox/coyote rifle caliber... Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I agree with ORC on the .22-250

And it was also the first center fire I ever received (my Christmas present, when I turned 12) and I still have it.

It has taken plenty of coyotes and fox with minimal pelt damage, and a few deer as well.

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Please note that if you go with a .223 from an AR with a 1/7 twist rate, and shoot very light bullets, you may have accuracy or bullet disintegration problems.

I have no experience with this, but I have read that 1/7 can cause light bullets to fly apart from the rotational forces at high velocity. The AR platform often uses a 1/7 twist to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets that are long. An older .223 bolt gun will often have as much as a 1/12 twist barrel, while newer offerings will likely be 1/8 (Ruger American) or 1/9 (Savage Axis).

To be all ballistics nerd on you - it isn't the weight of the bullet that causes them to be less stable at 1 in 7 rate of rotation, but the length of the bullet. Faster rotation is needed to stabilize long bullets. Usually, spinning short (light) bullets too fast causes less or no problems. Since weight is a proxy for length, some think it is the weight that matters.

Being spun fast enough to self-destruct in flight is about bullet construction. Very lightly constructed bullets, like the super-light varmint bullets, may not withstand higher twist rates. If they hold up under those rotation rates, they should still be accurate, though.

Yes, that's correct. But to make bullets heavy for caliber, they also generally have to be long. Also, in general, heavy for caliber bullets are launched at lower velocities, and therefore don't gain as much spin rate from a given twist rate barrel as a faster bullet. Sorry if I was somehow unclear in my comment. Because lightly constructed bullets are also generally light weight, they also usually make massive velocity, gaining higher spin rates in tight twist barrels and possibly tearing themselves apart.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
From my very first time out with my Kimber of Oregon Varmint Special, Single Shot in .221 Remington Fireball. Accuracy was unbelievable! I was using hand loads consisting of 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon bullets over 15.5 grains of Lil' Gun.

This is a 100 yard, 5 shot group.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
17 hornet- I've got one in a CZ rifle. Super cool and reload able

223-with the right bullet

I wouldn't say a 22lr s OK for a fox or coyote because I wouldn't want it to suffer. I prefer to put them down

A 17 HMR would get it done

And so would a 22MAG

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post