SIGforum
bought a PTR 91!!!!!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7260088974

February 22, 2021, 06:49 AM
kyoung
bought a PTR 91!!!!!!!
I have been nosing around for a .308 battle rifle since i had traded my AR10 off for a PSL. I thought i would like an HK clone or an FN clone just looking around on Armslist and saw a PTR 91 for sale locally in hard case 3 mags and 140 rd battle pack. I bought it for 11 benjamins and took it home and took it apart and cleaned it, basically new. Its interesting to figure out how to get the locking bolt back together! Hopefully I will shoot it this afternoon if my range area dries out some! It was -13 this time last week 6in snow on the ground and now the snow is melted and it is a muddy mess.
February 22, 2021, 09:34 AM
trebor44
PTR 91 is a good platform and lots of 'info' is on the web. There are several sites dedicated to the G3/PTR 91. Sources can be found with a google fu for the HK G3. And they can be 'barbied' with a variety of upgrades.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!
February 22, 2021, 01:24 PM
smschulz
The PTR 91 is a great rifle and 98% the same a real HK.
PICs or it didn't happen. Razz

Like thisFrownmine)

February 22, 2021, 04:57 PM
P-220
WOW, that is one beautiful rifle.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
February 23, 2021, 01:21 PM
sourdough44
Those are cool. My Son is Jonesing for an SAR 8, kinda similar I think.

I keep telling him about ‘the man with one rifle’, he doesn’t seem to take it to heart.
February 23, 2021, 02:19 PM
PASig
I have the poor cousin of the PTR, the Century Arms C308 and it's my understanding that a lot of it was actually built by PTR including the entire lower.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet either, first upgrade is going to be an HK extended cocking handle.

Bought 500 rounds of Wolf Russkie .308 before all the ammo shortages kicked in, I keep reading that these rifles happily gobble it up and spit out the casings with gusto!

February 23, 2021, 07:49 PM
jdshank
How well will a PTR 91 shoot? How does it compare to a AR10?
February 23, 2021, 08:26 PM
cslinger
quote:
and spit out the casings with gusto!

HK91’s/G3’s etc. are as dangerous to the front right as they are right in front of the muzzle. Smile. Those cases are like starboard area denial. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 23, 2021, 08:39 PM
Il Cattivo
quote:
I keep reading that these rifles happily gobble it up and spit out the casings with gusto!

If it's got the fluted chamber (which I'm almost certain it does), it may wind up doing a real number on brass anyway. I'm no expert, but I don't think I've heard of a PTR that wouldn't chow happily on steel cases.
February 23, 2021, 09:51 PM
roberth
Mine is great, brass (if you can find it) gets dented and launched a good ways away.

I quit shooting my nice LC brass reloads, only shoot mil-surp now.
February 23, 2021, 10:18 PM
Creeping_Death
The HK/clone .308 rifles eat just about anything you feed it, and yes they do a great job of shucking empties 20 yards down range of the firing line. RSO’s will get to know you quickly!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.
February 24, 2021, 06:48 AM
kyoung
I was shooting my new toy and got the sights set and munched through 60 rds of malaysian nato i had with out a hiccup. I got a battlepack of South African ammo with it, ive never seen any before. Shooting the hk style gun the kick is definetly different but not abusive like my AR10 was. I would probably like to have better trigger for it though!
February 24, 2021, 11:36 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
How well will a PTR 91 shoot? How does it compare to a AR10?

It depends on how you define "well"?

My AR10's are much, much more accurate.
Are they any more "fun"? I don't think so.
HK's (and I am including the PTR's in this) are a classic icon and a great rifle.
February 24, 2021, 11:40 AM
roberth
The SA R1M1 is good ammo, you need more. Big Grin
February 26, 2021, 07:19 PM
Austin228
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Those are cool. My Son is Jonesing for an SAR 8, kinda similar I think.

I keep telling him about ‘the man with one rifle’, he doesn’t seem to take it to heart.

I have a SAR 8, its a HK91 built in greece on HK tooling.

You want to make sure its the pre-86 kind with the all steel construction, they made later ones with aluminum receivers and other nonsense.

Honestly when I hold mine and hold a PTR-91 they both feel the same quality. PTR-91 much less pricey too.
February 27, 2021, 04:42 AM
ruger357
I would shoot my ptr more if it had an ambi safety.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
February 27, 2021, 06:44 AM
kyoung
I am going to buy a 520rd spam can of Chinese 7.62x51 ball from a local i saw advertised on Armslist. Does anyone have any experience with it? Its steelcase copperwash ball. I am guessing it would be Tiawan manufacture. numbers are stamped on can are 65-92-61
February 27, 2021, 09:08 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I am going to buy a 520rd spam can of Chinese 7.62x51 ball from a local i saw advertised on Armslist. Does anyone have any experience with it? Its steelcase copperwash ball. I am guessing it would be Tiawan manufacture. numbers are stamped on can are 65-92-61

Saw this online about that stuff, it doesn’t sound like it’s Taiwan-produced, it’s PRC-made ammo for export:

Chinese may not issue 7.62X51 but they make it and still ship the stuff all over the world.
The cartridge case is copper washed steel, bullet weight 147 grain.
Velocities approximate M80 Ball at about 2650 fps.
Earlier lots were corrosive, later lots dated after 1977 will be non-corrosive primed.

Honestly, I’d shoot Russian steel stuff like Wolf before Chicom ammo like this.

February 27, 2021, 09:58 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I am guessing it would be Tiawan manufacture.

At the risk of stating the obvious... If it's Chinese ammo, it's not from Taiwan.

There was a decent amount of Norinco (Chinese) 7.62x51mm ammo that came in during the 1980s and early 1990s, before Chinese ammo imports were cut off. Much of it was sold in spam cans. Much of it was corrosive.

If the markings are as you stated (65-92-61), then it's definitely Chinese. Made in 1992.
February 27, 2021, 12:39 PM
kyoung
cool, i am supposed to meet with the seller tommorow and buy.