SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG SG551P-SB setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SG551P-SB setup Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I picked this 551-SB upper up from Kyle @ Chitin Defense in May and have been trying to get a lower for it. Finally worked a deal for a semi-converted F/A lower from a guy who had one for sale which he got from Gatewood. I had to crib a grip from a spare grey WCA lower I have but will order one to replace it. I used a factory Sig 1913 adapter and brace.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is purdy.

I am jealous.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That lower looks goood ... well, it all does but I really like the lower!

BTW ... is this going to be a shooter?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Are you going to SBR?

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep...this will be a shooter and will likely file for a stamp.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The green looks great. Dig that sling too.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome. How much are the uppers and are they still available? A quick google doesn’t show anything.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes, JDI has them in SB and LB. SB are far easier to get but SAN/SwissArms/SigSauer AG are rreally a small operation so expect to wait

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I didn’t realize JDI had complete 551 uppers with receivers, I’ll have to send them a note.

That brace gives it a real HK33 / 551 mashup vibe. I like it.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
They're barreled uppers with handguards. You have to add the bolt, carrier and CH. And the lower of course.

posted Hide Post
PGT since these are imported as only to be assembled into pistols, what (if anything) has to be done to SBR one?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Mechanically, just add a stock and hung pin...a 2min job. Legally, you need to do some parts swap for 922(r).

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
For 922r compliance I put a 556Xi lower on my P553 ... technically you shouldn’t have too because as an NFA firearm it’s no longer a sporting weapon ... but the BTAFE says it’s required because you created a new rifle, therefore is subject to 922r.

Personally I like and have a lot more “AR” mags than SiG mags. Mine came with the stock & cheekiest, I also like the ambidextrous selector and SiG logo on the magwell ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post