SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me pick a rail for my 13.7"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a rail for my 13.7" Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
I am at a stand still until I can get a rail because of the pin and weld I'm having done. I really want a Geissele MK14 13" but they are sold out everywhere and Geissele has no idea when they will be back in stock.

I want/need a 13" rail for a minimal gap between rail and can. The problem is there are not very many 13" rails, most 13s are 13 and some change and that will not work.

So, my very short list of rails are Sons of Liberty Gun Works M76 wedge lock found HERE or a Knight's Armament URX4 found HERE

I am leaning towards the KAC, it is a great looking rail and it reminds me of my BCM KMR. Bad thing about both of these rails fetch a very high premium price.Anyone have experiences with either of these or have any 13" suggestions?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No experience with those rails, but I do have (and am happy with) the Centurion 13" MLOK rail.

I have two of them on Colt 16" uppers, very solid but still slim and handy. 2 built in QD sling attachments on both sides as well.

https://www.centurionarms.com/...ok-rail-p/ml1500.htm

KAC rails seems nice but as with all things KAC, always spendy spendy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rhino, didn’t know they made a 13”. They seem to expensive too!

David W.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I know Garand Thumb loved the Sons of Liberty 13.7" rifle, so that was my first thought - look at what handguard they sell! But it's already on your list. I've no experience other than hearing great things about everything SOLGW does.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I like the profile of the Bravo Company KMR. Feels good in my hands. They make a 13" version.

https://www.primaryarms.com/br...-bcm-kmr-a13-556-blk

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I like the profile of the Bravo Company KMR. Feels good in my hands. They make a 13" version.

https://www.primaryarms.com/br...-bcm-kmr-a13-556-blk

KMR feels great but their 13" is actually 13.4" Mad

David W.

posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
SLR rifleworks also makes a few 13.7s among their various models.

They make a quality handguard, so I'd check them out before springing for something as expensive as a KAC.

KAC makes quality products, but you pay a premium for their name. I love and still own some of their URX 2, URX 3 and URX 3.1 rails (really wish they still make the 12.0 URX 3s, or that I'd bought more at the time they were in production). But their URX 4s don't do it for me--they still carry the KAC premium price, but they look the same as everyone elses' octagonal M-Lok rails.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Another vote for SLR. They make attractive, functional handguards. I have their ION MLOK handguards on all my ARs.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Didn't know SLR made a 12.9" rail but it is sold out everywhere just like the others! It looks nice but they aren't cheap either.

David W.

posted Hide Post
Well, you are looking at top quality products, not PSA / UTG / off brands. Then there is a gun rush going on and it extends into the parts realm.

So yeah, I doubt you are going to get a 'cheap' solution without settling, which is usually more expensive in the long run.

And as you mention, you are pin & welding a muzzle device - so my suggestion is pay the butchers price and get exactly what you want. Wink

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Update.

Got a Geissele MK14 13" I was searching something on AimSurplus and for some reason the rail popped up in the search. I clicked on it and it was in stock, I stuck that thing in the cart and paid fast as I could. Apparently I got the last one as well.

I can't believe how light this rail is! so far this AR weighs 5.7 lbs with no optic/sights and its 13.7" bbl.

David W.