SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Buying a new hunting rifle. New Winchester Model 70's made in Portugal ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a new hunting rifle. New Winchester Model 70's made in Portugal ??? Login/Join 
Picture of fz4vgq
posted
I haven't bought a new bolt action rifle in some time but I own them from Winchester (M70), Remington (M700), Browning (A-Bolt), Savage (112, 110FP).

I really like my Winchester Model 70 I bought back in the mid 90s and am leaning towards a new Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless Steel in 300WSM. I just noticed today at my local shop that they are now made in Portugal. I have no problem with that at all, I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Have there been any quality issues ?

And yes, I've looked at the Tikka T3x rifles..... at length. I know they are great quality at a great price. I may end up with one at some point, I'm just focused on the new Winchester Model 70's right now.

Thanks,
Fz

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the made in Portugal M70 extreme weather rifles in 30-06.

Its an awesome gun, fit and finish is excellent and the accuracy is amazing right out of the box. Its a very high quality rifle, you can buy with confidence.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Winchester is Winchester in name only,
FN actually builds the rifles, and markets them under a licensing agreement as Winchester

the Winchester name, IIRC, is still owned by Olin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I think it was a homerun for Winchester to get FN/Browning to make guns for them. I have a SC made Model 70 and love it. I'm sure the Portugal guns are comparable in quality.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone !

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'd have no qualms about owning a new production M70.

The last one that I handled was very smooth.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't buy a M70 with a Browning trigger. They replaced the best hunting trigger ever with junk.

Has anyone seen which trigger the Portugal guns have?

...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would look at other gun's in that price range and compare first.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've looked at a bunch of the new Model 70s and think that they are the best value going at their price range. The Ruger Hawkeye is a close second, but is not as good looking as the Winchester.

Until you get into Montana / Mauser 12 pricing, Winchester and Ruger are the top of the pile.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read, but it could be salesman BS, that the machining was still done in the USA, but the assembly and any woodwork was to be done in Portugal.

My made in Utah M70 in 325 WSM is an impressive gun. That composite stock is super, I think they are an excellent value.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post