SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    We do silly things sometimes to get what we want....like buy two 10/22's to get the correct setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We do silly things sometimes to get what we want....like buy two 10/22's to get the correct setup Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I've loved the "basketweave" stock but they were hard to find, a Talo special edition 10/22 International a few years back. They only offered it in black but I'm a sucker for stainless and wood, so, I bought a spare SS gun for the action. The stock was made by Altamont, per the maker's marks inside. I've been on the hunt for years and when they come available, its usually people charging over MSRP for them. This was on GB, a new/old stock gun from a display case at a pawn shop in NC. Done.

The other 10/22 international stock is pretty damned boring in comparison. I also learned that I should have just bought a plain 10/22 as there's nothing different about the action itself in the International models; oh well.

I have a slew of Kidd parts to put on it so please ignore the black trigger for now. I also plan to install the proper International front sling loop/bar but need to order the escutcheons and screws and then carefully measure where to drill.

This brings up my major question; what finish is on these things? It was applied liberally and the take-down screw was covered in it. Plain ole shellac? Looks VERY plastic underneath, fake almost. I'm considering stripping the finish and doing a nice oil finish on it to make the wood pop.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have become a fan of full-length stocks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 10/22 international.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've always loved them. A local NoVA shop has a bunch of mannlichers for sale, old European guns but in -06, sadly. I'm a sucker for a Steyr or Sako with full wood but its got to be in a caliber I want to have around.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

My pre 68 10/22, and my custom winchester 75

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
10 22 and the Mini 14 can be changed so many ways. I personally would not strip the stock. It looks just custom enough for the plain jane Ruger. I know many of the long guns in todays gun shops wear stocks which get the buffing wheel at the manufacturer. They definately do look almost plastic like. Your stock is quite nice as it is with the basket weave pattern and showing pleanty of nice grain. 10 22 never had it so good.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
DSgrouse, your Win 75 is beautiful. You should share that in a new thread. Never seen one stocked like this.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
We do silly things sometimes to get what we want....like but 2wo 10/22's to get the correct setup

PGT, I don't know why but it didn't occur to me until you spelled it out, a couple years ago I searched and searched ti find a "Black stocked stainless tactical take-down 10/22" then I wanted a stainless takedown charger to go with it ... At the time there was no such thing, so I bought a black on black take-down charger and a stainless take-down in that ugly green wood an swapped the barreled receiver's ... I sold the green wood and black

So then, I saw a Butler Creek folding stock and cut it myself ... So the initial search and paying a premimum was moot ... But I did finally get the pair I wanted ... and I still enjoy them on occasion!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post