SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend an AR scope mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend an AR scope mount Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
For an AR-10, to be shot out to about 600.

Looking for 30mm, preferably a one-piece mount. I don't really know if I need elevation built into the base, based on my use for it.

Scope is a 42mm objective and I'd like to keep it mounted pretty low.

Would prefer a QD mount.

Suggestions? Haven't really looked at mounts in well over a decade.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not cheap in any sense, but I like Spuhr mounts.

They are available in QD configuration, but that seems to limit how low one can go. In addition, they can be had with 6 mils (~20 MOA) elevation, and unless that complicates other factors, I see no reason not to choose it. As for the height, I have a 30mm high Spuhr for a scope with 34mm tube and 44mm objective, but it would probably be too low if the mounting rail extended the full length of the scope.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
600 yards with a 308 likely means 16-17 MOA of drop from a 100 yard zero. So technically, 20 MOA will get you there. If your scope has a lot of vertical adjustment, you could get by without elevation built into the mount. But if you have the option for 10 or 20 MOA in your mounting system, I'd still do it. It will keep you a little closer to the center of your optics, and thus slightly better clarity.

I am using one-piece AR mounts from Nightforce, GG&G, and Larue. All three work well -- rock solid and no POI shift. Slightly prefer the NF and GG&G over the Larue, but it's not a big deal.

Sight height is a personal thing, and it's also dependent on your stock's configuration. It's much better to have a comfortable and repeatable cheek weld than a specific height over bore dimension.

For a true QD, I think the GG&G is slightly more repeatable than Larue. But it's splitting hairs. NF technically isn't a QD, but if you torque the screws back to the same setting upon remounting, it is very repeatable.

There are other brands out there, too.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have an AADMOUNT on my SCAR 17 with a NF 2.5-10x24 for about 2 years now - hasn't shifted a bit.

Like the Nightforce mount, it isn't truly QD, but if you torque it back correctly it holds zero.

Comes with 20 MOA built in and an anti-can scope level.

http://www.aadmount.com/30mm/index.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I always have good experience with the ADM mounts. They have several different models with variations on height and forward offset. I also like how easy it is to tighten the rail clamp levers without special tools and without risk of marring the rail.

https://www.americandefenseman...s/ar15-scope-mounts/

For non-QD and lightest weight I like the Aero precision one piece mounts.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/s...ounts.html?limit=all

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my AR-10, my 30mm tube scope is held in a Larue Tactical QD LT745 one piece mount with a 20MOA cant. You can also get a 10MOA cant if you do not need that much correction.

https://www.larue.com/products...cope-mount-qd-lt745/

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
+1 on the AADMOUNT; very solid mount. For QD mounts, I like the Bobros.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Larue and Bobro. Either is top notch and I have a bunch of each. I like the Bobro QD setup slightly better. Not likely your case but RHINOWSO mentioned a SCAR the Bobro can be had with levers on either side a huge plus for me on some guns like SCAR's.
When I don't want QD I have used nightforce just cause they are easy to get for me not because I tried a bunch of stuff. But they are completely serviceable. Everyone I know that owns the Spuhr mounts that sigfreund recommends says they are the best available option, but personally I don't own one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Larue and Bobro. I haven't had issues with either. The Larue will mark your upper up, the Bobro doesn't seem to. The Bobro I have is a single lever model, that would be quicker to detach than the Larue. I've got a GDI mount for a micro, that's really impressed me, but for the price I paid it better.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have a Bobro mount on my Colt.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
On my AR-10, my 30mm tube scope is held in a Larue Tactical QD LT745 one piece mount with a 20MOA cant. You can also get a 10MOA cant if you do not need that much correction.

https://www.larue.com/products...cope-mount-qd-lt745/

This ^

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post