SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin and winchester lever action rifles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin and winchester lever action rifles Login/Join 
posted
Are there models a guy should avoid?
did either make a particular model ?
did either make a bad run in a particular year?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Marlins made after Remington took them over in 2007 (so-called "Remlins") are not nearly as good as the pre-Remington Marlins.

Some of the earlier Marlins with Micro-Groove barrels can be hit-or-miss with their accuracy in certain calibers, like .44 Magnum. If you end up in that situation, you may have to try out a wide variety of various handloads or commercial loads until you find ones that your rifle exhibits acceptable accuracy with.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Marlins made after Remington took them over in 2007 (so-called "Remlins") are not nearly as good as the pre-Remington Marlins.

I disagree. I've owned several pre- and now several post- Remington Marlins. It seems there were some problems when Remington first took over production, and some issues cropped up here and there. But my post-Remingtons are just as good as my pre. I remember having a perpetually loose from sight on a pre-Remington 336 .30-30. And had to order new forend cap screws for my pre-Remington 1895, just like I just had to do with my post-Remington 1894. And it was very hard to cycle some rounds through my pre-Remington 1895.

To the OP, get what you want. Winchester 94s aren't without their own occasional problems. And Henry does, too.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
you may have to try out a wide variety of various handloads or commercial loads until you find ones that your rifle exhibits acceptable accuracy with.

Not arguing your point, because its right. But you may have to do that with any gun you acquire. Just assuming your brand new super rifle will be accurate with any ammo is a recipe for disaster. Some guns just seem to like some ammo better than others. Or the contrary, some guns won't shoot some ammo well at all. Its best to learn at the range, not in the woods.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
True, but the spread seems to be greater with Micro Groove barrels.

Many/most rifle barrels will shoot okay with most ammo, and great with some ammo.

Whereas the affected Micro Groove Marlins seems to shoot great with some ammo, and terrible with the rest, with not much in between.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Micro-groove seems to do fine with jacketed bullets, but not so much with cast. That's why Marlin went to deep cut rifling in their biggest bored rifles.

In .22LR, micro-groove really shines. My micro-grooved 39A was a death ray.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:.
In .22LR, micro-groove really shines. My micro-grooved 39A was a death ray.

Same with my Micro Groove Model 60. It's like a laser beam, especially once I installed a set of Tech Sights.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm new to the lever action club.
I decided I wanted a few finer examples in my safe.

I bought a Winchester 1873 limited edition in .357 magnum, Shot Show special with a fine grade V walnut stock and case hardened receiver.

I also bought a Browning/Winchester 1886 in 45/70. It was a special run celebrating Montana.
Beautifully made with engraving and high grade walnut stock.

Both rifles were made by Miroku in Japan.Perfect fit and Finnish, smooth as silk action.
Both very accurate.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
It was a special run celebrating Montana.

Someone else who had that gun catch their eye. Right purty!

Back to the subject at hand. Just because a rifle has Winchester on it doesn't mean it was made by them. The era when a gun was made has a lot to do with how well it looks and performs. Many here run from Remlins, and often for good reason. Winchester had its problems with post '64 guns. Again, something to shy away from unless you really are an expert and inspect.

My M94 Winchester was produced (from the serial #) in 1941. Probably not a bad year, just a bad caliber (.32 Winchester Special).

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am looking for a new to me lever gun. Always loved my Savage 99, but when I was 17 I shot my friend's Winchester Saddle Gun 30-30 and I was blown away. Quick, light, and a hoot to shoot.

Yesterday I looked at a Henry and a Marlin both in 357. I have to say both were nice. The Henry had a little better fit & finish, but the Marlin was still very good. I almost walked out with the Marlin, but decided to do a little more shopping and gather more Intel. Hence, I will follow this post.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With any lever, Winchester or Marlin, the factory sights do not do the gun justice. An aftermarket sight system can improve the accuracy considerably.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 94 in 30wcf from 1900 and a Marlin 1894cb in 357 from 2019

Both are phenomenal guns- accurate, and fun as hell. The Marlin is rougher and not as smooth, but give it a decade or ten and it'll lighten up and smoothen out, im sure.

The new marlin is beautifully fit. Ive not found any issue with it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I have an early 90s large loop Winchester 94 in .44mag - it has the cross bolt safety that purists get all bent over. I'm not a purist. It's a fantastic thumper and puts the heavy .44s wherever they need to go.

I also have a Henry .357/.38spl lever gun - it's quickly becoming one of my favorite lever guns as well. I have probably 10 in various calibers/configurations. Purists scoff at the tube loading vs side gate. I guess I'd never be a good purist. With proper gun handling safety, it's a non issue. Plus it's easier to unload at the end by being able to dump the rounds out, minus anything chambered. They do make a few newer models in side loading gates as well.

I have no experience with the Marlins. They do have a good following I know.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up I learned to shoot with a Marlin 39A, and like others it was a laser beam. I bought one of my own many years later and was disappointed - it had a tendency to throw flyers, so I sold it. I had a Henry .44Mag for a while but never seemed to shoot it much, so sold it too. Now I have tremendous yen for a Winchester 1873 or Marlin 1894 in .45LC to go with the Colt SAA that I picked up a while back.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
With any lever, Winchester or Marlin, the factory sights do not do the gun justice. An aftermarket sight system can improve the accuracy considerably.

This for sure. I have a Winchester 94 in .44 mag with Williams peep sights and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with a Redfield scope. The Buckhorn rear sights on both were total crap.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The answer depends on the intended use.

What do you want the rifle for? Small Game .22? Plinking / Home Defence with a Pistol Caliber? Big Game hunting?

I compete in Cowboy Action Shooting. We use Pistol Caliber lever actions. Almost any of the current crop will work; however, but guns based on the Winchester 92 and 94 are the least prefered for matches. Especially the 94 since it was originally designed for longer rifle cartridges, it tends to have feeding issues when you try to run it fast.

For Pistol Caliber my favorites are 1873 Uberti/Beretta, Winchester (Miroku) models and the Marlin 1894.

Tell us more, and we'll tell you more.

DSCN1211 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
did either make a bad run in a particular year?

did they put bad ring nuts in a particular run? which might need addressing ?

did a particular run get defective hammer bearings?

was a particular year or model prone to wandering sights?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I shot a friend's 45-70 about a month ago and ever since then, I've been wanting a lever action of my own. I'm going to stick with the ammo I already have on hand, so it will be a lever action in .38spl/.357mag.

I've had my eye on a Marlin 1894 that is suppressor ready. It's either that or the Ruger GP100 TALO that will satisfy my 38/357 wants. I'm waiting to see if there are going to be any Black Friday sales for either of those.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:
I've been wanting a lever action of my own. I'm going to stick with the ammo I already have on hand, so it will be a lever action in .38spl/.357mag.

I've had my eye on a Marlin 1894 that is suppressor ready. I'm waiting to see if there are going to be any Black Friday sales for either of those.

Just FYI because I was also looking at the same Marlin you were, as well as the model with the grey laminated stock and without the threaded barrel from a different vendor, the one you linked to IS a "Black Friday" sale price including shipping and it is the cheapest shipped price by a good margin on that model. Wink

I'm in this same camp looking at lever guns because I do not currently own one, do like what they offer in simplicity and fun having owned a couple in the past, and am not feeling any more of the tactical fantastical rifles and pistols really calling my name this holiday season. The Marlin 1894 CSBL stainless big loop laminated stock .357 Magnum with the XS ghost ring sights is pretty much the lever gun I have always wanted if I could design one for myself and is definitely going on my Santa's list. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, the Marlin 1894 CSBL isn't good for SASS because it doesn't hold 10 rounds of ammo.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post