SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex 2.5x10 32mm, anyone have one or have experience with one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex 2.5x10 32mm, anyone have one or have experience with one Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Looking add a bit more magnification to my go to AR. Currently it has a TR24 on it and while I like the TR24 the triangle lacks the precision I am looking for. I looked at the VX-R 2x7 but I have heard so fairly negative reviews on the QC and that the true magnification is closer to 2.6x6.6.

Anyone currently using one?

I also considered the Burris XTR 1.5x8 so any info on these would be appreciated.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
They are an excellent scope for an Ar. I've got one. Many consider their glass to be the best of the whole PST lineup. I would have to agree. I think they are being discontinued though so either find one now or wait and see what they replace it with.

I built this rifle around it. I decided to stick to bolt actions though and sold it, the scope now serves part time on my 16" carbine, might do a little coyote hunting with it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I don't have that particular scope, but I do have the Vortex Strike Eagle on my SIG 716. It's in the same magnification range and I've had no isssues at all. I wouldn't call it a precision scope, but on an AR like platform it does well.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that scope on my 243 Savage.
This is my go to rig for coyotes the scope is crystal clear and once adjusted I've never had to make any other adjustment for windage or elevation.
I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
They are an excellent scope for an Ar. I've got one. Many consider their glass to be the best of the whole PST lineup. I would have to agree. I think they are being discontinued though so either find one now or wait and see what they replace it with.

I built this rifle around it. I decided to stick to bolt actions though and sold it, the scope now serves part time on my 16" carbine, might do a little coyote hunting with it.

My set up is damned near identical to yours.

How is the reticle on lowest power? I know it's not a RDS or even my TR24 but I am hoping it is usable in a pinch for quick under 25m work.

The weight is listed at ~18oz, how does it balance?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It's a FFP reticle so on 2.5x it's tiny, with full illumination though you get a good red + in the center for quick shots.

It is a little bit heavy but to me it makes it feel more durable. That 18" setup was heavy but balanced right at the magwell. UBR helped out with that.

I love the scope I just don't have a permanent use for it at the moment. My dream now is to someday get it on a quality .308 AR precision rifle.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it, but I definitely like it. I've only used it at the range. In general, I love Vortex gear - my basement has quite a collection of Vortex boxes.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put one on my 6.5CM ruger scout. Just had my first chance to shoot it last week.

At 2.5x it is more like an extra-fine duplex reticle. Starting around 5X you can really start to see the mil scale. (I got the mil version).

On this gun, I mounted it with Burris xtr signature rings so I could add about 30moa cant. The rail is an XS rail with a back-up ghost ring.

So far I'm happy with it.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
thanks...good feedback, I think I need to grab one. Worst case it would work great on my 6.8spc hog upper

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Don't have that particular scope but a Vortex PST on my 308. I have been impressed with Vortex products and especially their customer service. I had a problem with the windage adjustment, sent it back and had a repaired scope within a week WITH A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE REPAIRS!

Doesn't get much better than that.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
The 2.5x10-32 is the sweet spot of the PST lineup. I use one on my distance AR (bottom rifle).

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
KenS, tell me about the leather stock sleeve on your scout rifle please. Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
KenS, tell me about the leather stock sleeve on your scout rifle please. Thanks.

Homemade. I needed about 1/2" to get a good sight picture.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Looks great Ken. I was hoping I could buy something like that. Nice work.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I use one on a Mk12 clone. Works very well

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post