SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Options to fix open sights when adjustments are maxed out??? Garand Related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options to fix open sights when adjustments are maxed out??? Garand Related Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Shooting my newly purchased CMP Garand with new barrel. While shooting I was WAY Left. I actually had a heck of a time getting on the paper. After moving the rear sight all to the max adjustment I am still 6-7 inches left. What can be done to get bullet impact to the Right?? I also moved the front sight and as you can see I am still way left.

Thank You.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redlickranch,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to the CMP. If it is that far off there is a good chance they will have you send it back for repair.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
To correct a left-offset POI, move your front sight to the left and your rear sight to the right. Did you move your front sight to the left or right?

It could be a bad, or improperly installed barrel. I can have a look at it if you like.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I'll reach out to the CMP. I just received one back from them for a stuck gas plug.

YES I moved both front and rear sights and this is the best I can do to try and get on paper.

Using Greek Ammo.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Why is your rear sight to the left? If you’re hitting to the left, move the rear sight to the right.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Recenter the front sight and rear sight. Try again at the range, moving the rear sight to the right of center as needed if it's hitting to the left. Big Grin

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I'm an idiot not sure what I was thinking.
Back to the range on Sat.

Thanks for looking at it and pointing that out.

NRA Life Member

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Try again at the range, moving the rear sight to the right of center as needed if it's hitting to the left. Big Grin

This is the nicest forum on the Internet. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We all have brain farts once in a while. I've had my share. Smile

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it can be tricky. I always have to stop and visualize really exaggerated sight changes in my head, when trying to remember which sight to move which direction. (As in: "If I move this rear sight 2 feet to the left, what does that do to the barrel alignment?")

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I always have to stop and visualize really exaggerated sight changes in my head, when trying to remember which sight to move which direction. (As in: "If I move this rear sight 2 feet to the left, what does that do to the barrel alignment?")

Haha I do the same thing... Holding my hands out in space forming a front sight post with one and a ring with the other. I probably look crazy to the next guy on the line at the range.

Posts: 2679 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The acronym I learned years ago and rely on for sight adjustments- FORS :

Front = Opposite. Move the front sight in the opposite direction that you want the POI to shift.

Rear = Same. Move the rear sight in the same direction that you want the POI to shift to.

A word of caution though, remember to use this adjustment concept to shift the POI in the direction you want it to go ... NOT where it presently is.

redlickranch, if that rifle shoots half as good as it looks, once you get the sights dialed in, you should be happy with it... that is one sharp looking Garand! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post