SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HELP with Ruger American Short Action Scope Mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP with Ruger American Short Action Scope Mount Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I bought a Ruger American Predator short action in .350 Legend for my daughter. It came with a Picatinny rail mounted by the factory and I picked up a Vortex Strikefire 3-18x44mm scope (only wanted a 3-12x, but found this for $300 NIB) and a set of Vortex 30mm LOW 0.90" aluminum rings to provide a solid mount and keep the weight down. After getting it all roughed together the distance between the bell and top of barrel is just shy of 1/2", maybe 3/8". I can easily drop it another 1/4" without interfering with anything. However, there do not seem to be too many offerings out there for the Ruger American that are not Picatinny mounted. I would prefer a one piece mount, but can only find a two piece and am still unsure it will actually lower the scope. Does anyone have a similar setup on their Ruger American? What did you use to get the scope down?

Thanks!

Options Found:
Talley (SKU 740725) $51.95
Leupold Backcountry mounts (SKU 171115) for Savage 10/110 Round Receivers. According to Leopold, these fit the Ruger American.

However, both of these are two-piece sets, not one piece.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a problem with those rails on a hunting rifle, you always get the extra height to deal with.

Are you sure you got low rings? Maybe look around and see who make some extra low rings.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id have her try it. My boys seem to prefer optics mounted a little higher, one of them being a Ruger Ranch 300BLK.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
The rings are definitely low rings at 0.90" printed right on the rings from Vortex. Many others are within 0.05" +/- of that height too for Low rings.

My daughter's cheek comes off the stock about an inch for her to get a solid cheek weld. I'll probably need to put a pad on it too for her. Just another reason to get the scope as far down as I possibly can.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
The rings are definitely low rings at 0.90" printed right on the rings from Vortex. Many others are within 0.05" +/- of that height too for Low rings.

My daughter's cheek comes off the stock about an inch for her to get a solid cheek weld. I'll probably need to put a pad on it too for her. Just another reason to get the scope as far down as I possibly can.

I did the same on my sons CZ 457. Triad stock pack made up the difference for the rings. Another option would be an adjustable kydex riser.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post