SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please recommend a child sized 22 rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend a child sized 22 rifle Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Colt/Walther .22lr AR-15s are on sale right now at Davidson's and can be had for about $310. Link

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My firearm instruction method for kids is as follows.

For basic safety rules, sight picture, and indoc, I use a Red Rider BB gun. Reason being it's (1) cheap to buy and shoot and (2) easy to shoot in your yard, ie lots of practice. They are tickled to be shooting a "gun" and when they finally start to get irritated enough that they are doing everything right but not hitting the bullseye, you step up to a quality bolt action 22.

I did that with my kids and all of them shot fantastic the first time the pulled the trigger on the 22. Like tearing the center out of the bullseye good. And since they had many hows with the BB gun, they had solid safety fundamentals when we finally went to the range with the 22 (CZ 452 in our case).

This ^^^. But a Cricket in between is an inexpensive way to see if they are truly interested before laying out the $ for a CZ Scout.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I am going say a Ruger 10/22. Just load one round at a time at first. If it is a fit concern...get a magpul x22 amd take out all the shim...it'll fit and you can replace as the kid grows.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas. Thanks. Found out that grandson is right eye dominant so I won't be looking for a left handed bolt gun. I am leaning toward the 10/22 at this point. I already have one. I'll make a trip to my LGS today and have a look at what's available.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
This Henry is a great option for durability and single shot - it's what I started both of our kids on.

Another great option is the Henry youth lever gun - safe, easy to use, holds a few rounds and just fits. Heck, I carry one on my larger game hunting trips, for when I stumble on the small stuff. It's small, but works like the big ones.
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
Henry Repeating Arms has the rights to the chipmunk and they produced the Mini-Bolt, with synthetic stock, stainless barrel, fiber optic sights... Started my three kids on it, soon for the grandkid. 11.5" length of pull and only 3.25 pounds! Even after they out grow it, you can still use it for plinking or a squirrel gun/survival. Watching my kids work that bolt was priceless!
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
A Savage Rascal may be the perfect fit. A single shot 22LR scaled down American. Just under 3 lbs with a 11.25" LOP. Seen them for about $150.

+1
Bought a pink one for my daughter and she loves shooting it. She is still too small to shoulder anything larger.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
quote:
A Savage Rascal may be the perfect fit. A single shot 22LR scaled down American. Just under 3 lbs with a 11.25" LOP. Seen them for about $150.

+1
Bought a pink one for my daughter and she loves shooting it. She is still too small to shoulder anything larger.

I bought one for my son. He loves it. Still shootable but compact once they get full sized. Accurate little rifle.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Single shot:
Cricket

Semi-auto:
10/22
15/22

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm back to the idea of a youth size bolt action. I anticipate using it to introduce each of my four grandsons to shooting. LGS didn't have any kid rifles. I'm going to the UP to check on my cabin next week. I'll stop by Cabelas in Dundee on the way home and see what they have. Thanks again for all the help.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I would recommend one of the .22lr AR15 variants like the Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22. The adjustable stock allows the rifle to grown with them. I started my son a few years ago when he was 7 or 8 with a Ruger American Youth bolt action but he outgrown that pretty quick (in fun and shooting ability). I got him a M&P 15/22 when he turned 9 and he has been using that in our local steel competitions and has been doing very well.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Couldn't resist this in a local shop. Springfield Model 15. Single shot bolts can be addictive. Good luck on the search.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I got a Chipmunk Rifle for my kids to start on. I bought an aftermarket scope mount, spun it 180 degrees and put a Bushnell TRS25 red dot on it. My only complaint is that there isn't a ramp to help get the cartridge in the barrel and my fingers are kind of big to get into that tiny space. If I had to do it again, I'd look hard at the Henry Mini-Bolt.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmeek
posted Hide Post
I too would recommend the CZ 452/455 Scout. It's a quality rifle that can have its trigger made fantastic for the price of a cheap spring. When all the kids outgrow the stock, drop it in a Boyds stock or pick up an inexpensive CZ stock and keep shooting.

Posts: 261 | Location: MD | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
quote:

+1

I bought one for my son. He loves it. Still shootable but compact once they get full sized. Accurate little rifle.

Something else I forgot to mention. The Rascal, unlike some of the other small bolt rifles like the Cricket, has a safety lever that allows the bolt to be cycled even with the safety on.

That was one of the big selling points for me.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the input. I stopped at Jays in Gaylord and Cabelas in Dundee on the way back to Ohio. Got to see a few of the options. I brought home a Savage Rascal with a $30 rebate. It ought to serve the purpose.