SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please recommend a child sized 22 rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend a child sized 22 rifle Login/Join 
posted
My oldest grandchild (almost 9)has a growing interest in learning about firearms. His parents want me to introduce him to the activity and inculcate respect for, safe handling and use of firearms. I'm looking for a single shot bolt action rifle as a starting point. I see offerings from several manufacturers including: Savage, Mossberg, Henry and Crickett. There may be others. I would appreciate any advice available. Thanks.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
At nine I would think the Cricket sized ones would be to small. I had a Savage 93? Nice compact size for a kid and a shooter too

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
CZ 452/455 Scout

Browning BL-22 Micro

both can be passed down to their grandchildren Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take him to a well stocked store and have him shoulder rifles until you find one that fits.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago my daughter wanted to shoot with me. I bought a little single shot, bolt action 22 called a Chipmunk.
Served her well and was easy to learn.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Bolts are boring for little kids...I bought a kids 10/22 ans it was great.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Bolts are boring for little kids...I bought a kids 10/22 ans it was great.

My five year old son currently has a Cricket that fits him fairly well, but he loves the 10/22 much better, though it's still a bit big for him. I set it up in my Lead Sled and let him shoot it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies so far. Grandson is quite smart but impulsive and sometimes too exuberant. He really needs to work on thinking before acting. Single shot bolt action choice is for safety reasons as he learns muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline. Once he demonstrates proficiency in handling the single shot, I have a 10/22 he can grow into.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I believe guns are like instruments. You don't hand your child a $25 walmart ukulele when he asks to learn how to play guitar. Every cricket I've ever picked up is junk. Most child/youth rifles sold are junk. Ever try the trigger?

I solidly recommend the Browning BL22 Micro.

The other option is to cut it to size. It really isn't that expensive. Free even.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would search the used racks for a Winchester 67 or similar old Remington product. I had a 67 as a youngster and it was very accurate. A single shot and you had to cock the bolt after loading. Remington early version was the 33 and there was a similar type in the 500 series ( 510 or 511 maybe?) usually around $125-150 and are big enough he won't out grow it fast like the crickets and similar models.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My firearm instruction method for kids is as follows.

For basic safety rules, sight picture, and indoc, I use a Red Rider BB gun. Reason being it's (1) cheap to buy and shoot and (2) easy to shoot in your yard, ie lots of practice. They are tickled to be shooting a "gun" and when they finally start to get irritated enough that they are doing everything right but not hitting the bullseye, you step up to a quality bolt action 22.

I did that with my kids and all of them shot fantastic the first time the pulled the trigger on the 22. Like tearing the center out of the bullseye good. And since they had many hows with the BB gun, they had solid safety fundamentals when we finally went to the range with the 22 (CZ 452 in our case).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have had a marlin 795 for probably 5-6 years and a dozen friends children from 7-20+ have shot it comfortably. The bolt locks back on the last round, unlike the 10/22, it's very cheap to buy (I think I paid 90-100 for mine used) and I haven't had a single issue with it after 5-6000 rounds through it.

Eta: sorry, just saw you were looking for a bolt action. When he's ready for a semi, look at a 795!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started my own kids with an Ithaca Model 49 saddle gun, a small cheapo dropping block single shot I got when I was a child. Unfortunately it was stolen during a burglary 25 years ago. Now that I think about it, maybe I should try to find another one of those. It's a relatively small, single shot and easy to load for both right handed and left handed people. Oldest grandson is a lefty. The next three grandsons are right handed. This could be my answer.

posted Hide Post
I'd go with a 10/22. Even if it's a little big now, he'll grow into it quickly and never outgrow it.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the CZ Scout...very well built bolt action rifle...started both my boys with one. They still shoot it at age 13 and 17...

Posts: 84 | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My initial search suggests that the Ithaca model 49 will not be easy to find and will cost more than it's worth. I think before I purchase something, I need to determine which of my grandson's eyes is dominant. I'm beginning to think a good quality repeater makes sense. We can start by loading single cartridges and progress to shooting from a magazine. Thanks for your input. You've helped my thinking about this evolve.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ohioup. If you're near Cleveland I can let your grandson shoulder my son's Ruger American Rimfire. He's ten now and shoulders it fine. He'd prefer a left hand bolt action but he's making do. He loves it. He prefers it over my folding stock 22LR SBR AR.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I personally would search the used racks for a Winchester 67 or similar old Remington product. I had a 67 as a youngster and it was very accurate. A single shot and you had to cock the bolt after loading.

This is the first thing I learned to shoot on as well. Before our first daughter was born I found one in good condition and picked it up; currently looking for one for daughter #2.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Savage Rascal may be the perfect fit. A single shot 22LR scaled down American. Just under 3 lbs with a 11.25" LOP. Seen them for about $150.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry Repeating Arms has the rights to the chipmunk and they produced the Mini-Bolt, with synthetic stock, stainless barrel, fiber optic sights... Started my three kids on it, soon for the grandkid. 11.5" length of pull and only 3.25 pounds! Even after they out grow it, you can still use it for plinking or a squirrel gun/survival. Watching my kids work that bolt was priceless!
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post