SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) moving from IL to IA UPDATED with video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) moving from IL to IA UPDATED with video Login/Join 
posted
http://www.lewismachine.net/

From Milan to Eldridge is not far, about 10 miles across the Mississippi. This has been in the works for a few years but it's now a done deal. Here's a link but you can only read one para for free:

http://www.northscottpress.com...8e-8b77ff208a2f.html

This move is similar to what Les Baer did a few years ago. He's now in LeClaire IA, across the river from his former plant in Hillsdale IL.

Gee, I can't imagine why any gun business would want to leave IL...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe Springfield will ever relocate.

I spoke with a salesman for 20 minutes.

they have many roots in Geneseo.
I think they are dumb for not crossing over

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Good for them, and another message sent (likely to fall on deaf ears in IL)

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for them! Makes me want a mars rifle even more.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Screw that link.

Agree though, good on them. Love my LMT.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I can't believe Springfield will ever relocate.

I spoke with a salesman for 20 minutes.
they have many roots in Geneseo.
I think they are dumb for not crossing over

Geneseo has Springfield Armory and Armalite, nearby Colona has Rock River Arms. I have not heard any rumors of their moving to IA or anywhere else.

A short move across the river to IA would allow them to keep the same work force.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
With the business environment being what it is in Illinois, this comes as no surprise.

Thank you Chicago politicians for their continued attempts at tax and spend.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Prouder than ever to own my LMT. I can't wait until Illinois craters under its debt burden.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
With the business environment being what it is in Illinois, this comes as no surprise.

Thank you Chicago politicians for their continued attempts at tax and spend.

Personally, I'm upset. However, I understand businesses leaving this shithole. Especially GUN businesses. Springfield, Rock River, ArmaLite, DS Arms... I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they all go across the river, over to Indiana or Wisconsin.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good on them.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IL will lose the businesses, but it's unlikely many workers will move to IA. There are five bridges over the Mississippi in the Quad Cities area, lots of people work in one state but live in the other. I did until I retired a few months ago.

IL and IA have an agreement that you pay income taxes for the state were you LIVE, not where you work.

posted Hide Post
Welcome to Iowa. LMT, Springfield, Rock River, DS Arms, Armalite and any others are welcome in Iowa.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This link has a 2:00 video with many scenes from inside the current plant in IL:

http://wqad.com/2017/04/28/mil...es-for-move-to-iowa/

Milan-based weapons manufacturer prepares for move to Iowa

POSTED 4:35 PM, APRIL 28, 2017, BY MEGAN NOE, UPDATED AT 04:51PM, APRIL 28, 2017

MILAN, Illinois -- A Milan company that makes weapons for soldiers and law enforcement officers is preparing to move across the river.

Lewis Machine and Tool Company plans to build a new, $6 million plant in Eldridge, Iowa. The building will be located in the city's industrial park off Highway 61.

"We need a bigger space," said company president Karl Lewis.

The company has certainly grown from the one-man operation that Lewis started back in 1980.

"In 1980, there was one. Now, there's approximately 170 people," said Lewis.

Today, workers staff the facility 24/7, making products like rifles and grenade launchers. Lewis said the company is currently finishing up a large contract for the New Zealand government, supplying all of the weapons for the country's navy, army, and air force.

The new location will allow for more growth, and also include a 100-meter shooting range on site.

"Each of our products is test-fired for accuracy and reliability. Right now, we have several different ranges that we go to," said Lewis. "At our new location, we'll be able to do our testing and validation all under one roof."

Lewis said the company looked at locations on both sides of the river, but in the end, Eldridge was the right fit.

"There were a lot of enticements from different states to move to different states with, quite frankly, nicer climates, no snow to shovel, so that was attractive. But in the end, our business is really about the people that we have here," said Lewis.

Last week, the Eldridge City Council agreed to reduce property taxes the company would pay for 10 years.

Construction is expected to start later this year.

Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
At least they did not sell-out like Rock River and Springfield Arms.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And good for them for it. Now if Armalite would only follow suit. At this point I'd love an Iowa Armalite.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was glad to see LMT at the NRA show yesterday. I did thank them for being there and congratulated them on their move out of IL.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of LMT products. If I can't buy it from Colt I get it from LMT.

Hope they flourish in their new location.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
RRA and Springfield should have done what LMT is doing.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This report has similar info, and the 2:45 video shows the IL plant with nice shots (get it?) of LMT products.

http://www.kwqc.com/content/ne...idge--420769534.html

Every weekday morning the LMT guys test rifles at the Milan Rifle Club, the new facility will have its own 100 yd range.