SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tape switch for Surefire tips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tape switch for Surefire tips? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I've mounted a Surefire M300 light on left side of my DD AR with the 7" Omega rail, its as far forward as it will go. With the shorter handguard and sling mount at the top with a VTAC mount or using the hole in the rail, it's not the easiest to activate the tail switch. I put the forward grip on and that helps, but I think I want no forward grip.

I have a tape switch but have been reluctant to try it. I'm trying to figure out how and where to best mount it.

What do you use?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always use a tape switch. Light on left switch on right. Attaching the tape switch and wires can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. When all I had was rail forends it was easy the surefire clip on and larue clips. Easy as peasy. Since I've gone partially to mlok I use the magpul plate but struggle to manage the wiring depending on the mount etc. I can't see any downside to using a switch once you get the wiring so it won't hang up on stuff.
Maybe I'm missing your concern?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Probably just thing to watch out for and how best to secure the switch.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done pretty much everything. the tire tube trick (didn't like that), high strength Velcro (works well), silicon adhesive(works really really well), the surefire clip (really well), the magpul clip (really well), 3m adhesive (not so good), double stick tape (no good).
You get the idea, its not a special application and depends on what works for you. On one of my foreends (I think its a MI one) I just stuffed in the cavity that was there of the right size and it has never moved at all.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Don't know what accessories came with your light, but my Streamlight came with clips to attach the pressure switch to a picatinny rail. Did yours not?

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Just double side Velcro. I've got it set up to test, so we'll see. Thanks!

I may need a zip tie or something to secure the wire a little better. I'll look into the clips mentioned.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I switched the light to the right side as it feels better for me being right handed.

I shot a night match with it and it worked well except for shooting off hand around a barrier. I need a better technique. I am not very ambidextrous, though I do okay without a barrier to lean around.

I’m torn, as it would have been nice to have a click switch to leave the light on, but for a serious rifle I think the momentary tape switch may be better.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I see I need a SR07 rather than the ST07 that I have. Doh. Expensive mistake, glad I got a little bit of a deal on it.

The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Check out Cloud Defensive. Their Light Control System is really cool. It’s a housing for your tape switch that has a channel for running the cord through. I have one for one of my Streamlight weapon lights and it works really well.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
These work well for tape switches

Tango Down

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Tango Down rail cover is the way to go. However, we ditched tape switches years ago. The kept breaking the wires at the light from use.

Oh well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
That’s no good.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Jones what are you using now, just the tail cap?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post