SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ACOG or LPVO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACOG or LPVO Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I have a BCM 14.5" Recce that I have been using as a replacement for my 16 year old Bushmaster XM15E2S (original manufacturer) that I have over 15k rounds through. On the Bushmaster I have it setup with a Trijicon Reflex RX09 with Cyalume insert. It has been the optic I have had on it since the beginning.

When I switched over to the BCM I set it up with a Aimpoint Comp M4s with 3X magnifier, I have to tell you that I hate the optic. Unless I am running the magnifier the only thing I can see is the ARD. Even if I take it off I am not fond of the sight itself. So was thinking about going with a Acog, but in the midst of a conversation someone recommend going with a low power variable optic that has a true 1x magnification so you can still shoot both eyes open.

What are your thoughts?, I have attached the ACOG model as well as one of the LPVO's

Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope with Red Horseshoe/Dot Reticle and M4 BDC w/ TA51 Mount

or

LPVO (couple models)

AccuPower® 1-8x28 Riflescope MIL Segmented Circle Crosshair w/Red LED, 34mm Tube

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
LPV optics are versatile, but have some drawbacks. In 1x they do not have unlimited eye relief like a red dot, and eye relief can be different as you dial in magnification. They are heavier than most prisim sights, take up more rail space and are (debatably) less robust.

I think you need to decide the task you are wanting the rifle to perform, and match the optic to the task. ACOG’s are a battle optic, not a precision optic, and are great in that role, maybe the best. If I wanted to shoot 3 gun, a LPV would be my choice. As a defense weapon, I personally use a 2x ACOG. It works at “almost” red dot speed up close, and let’s me hit man size targets out to 300+ yards much easier than a red dot.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd recommend either the Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPower or Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 as LPVOs.

The Vortex is great throughout the power range and has a daylight visible red dot. At 1x you hardly know you are looking through a scope.

The Accupower is also a great optic, my only dislike is it not being sunny daylight bright and the reticle, while nice, isn't as good for me as the ones in the Vortex.

The 1-8x Accupower looks good, but it's heavy and I dislike uncapped turrents on LPVOs. It's not daylight bright but is generally similar to the 1-4x.

The Steiner P4Xi gets great reviews as well as a 1-4x LVPO.

If you go ACOG, I'd tend towards the battery powered ones with longer eye relief like the TA110.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
How much of your shooting is going to be at any kind of distance, and how much of it is going to be within a couple of hundred yards?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
If I had to break it out,

50% 0-100 yards

30% 100-300 yards

20% 300-700 yards

I am thinking that I will obviously double my round count as I am using the gun more then I did before. Between shooting duty style matches and also shooting 3 gun matches I am going to burn through rounds. None of these matches do I need to shoot sub-MOA groups, man sized targets at varying distances.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A buddy has the Accupower on his SCAR 17S; I really didn't like it much at its lower magnification settings. With my eyes I saw quite a bit of edge distortion between 1x-3x power; it's not like I'm concentrating on the edges but it is part of the field of view and I found it disconcerting to look at. I had similar issues with both the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x-6x and Razor 1x-6x that I sold recently (I rid myself of the Strike Eagle a couple of years ago). I found it odd that I didn't experience the same phenomenon with the newer Vortex Strike Eagle 1x-8x that we had in the shop.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Trijicon Accuoiwer is my absolute go-to.

I love that optic. I have a couple Rifles with MRO’s on them (red dot), but I much prefer the 1-4 accupower.

I have probably a dozen accupowers and accupoints. I think I own all of the different power ranges too. I don’t have any issues with edge distortion. The Trijicon glass is outstanding imo.

Be carful where you buy yours from. If you try to bargain hunt you could get burned. There are a lot of Chinese knockoffs of Trijicon products out there.

Buy an official Trijicon from an authorized dealer and it will be gtg.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Eurooptic. They're good guys who want your business and are willing to work with customers on any issues after the sale.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Unless you're going to beat the crap out of it, I dont see the advantage of the ACOG over a quality LPVO.

I have the 1-8 on my SCAR 17, no way Id put it on an AR, its a pig for sure. I also have the TA33 ACOG, 1-4 Steiner, 1-6 Leupold and soon a 1-6 Swaro. I think they are great optics for their respective price points.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
This is why I love you guys, been coming here for more then 13 years and have always been getting great information.

So I am going to get a Accupower and also going to look at a 3.5x LED ACOG.