SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR/AK hybrid rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR/AK hybrid rifle Login/Join 
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted
With the 5.56/.223 ammo shortages and limited parts available, I thought it might be interesting to buy an AK upper to use in my AR lower since I seem to be able find 7.62 x 39 mm and at a cheaper price. I have always wanted an AK, but limited funds (college tuition x2) has kept me from buying a quality AK. Now with prices soaring to incredibly stupid levels, I figured that if I could get a quality, complete upper in 7.62 x 39 mm, I could continue to have some fun at the range with a minimal investment. To those of you that have ventured into a project like this, what advice would you pass on to me? This way I can possibly avoid some of the pitfalls that some of you had when you did this. If you think I'd be better served by purchasing a complete AK, would you please give me your input as to which is best or what I should be looking for. As always, thanks for your help.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to know where to start on this. I tried to make 7.62x39 AR's run for a long time, but a long time ago. Broken bolts, extractors, mags that wouldn't feed more than a few rounds, etc. But I think that mostly we are past that now at least for anything this is mostly a fun gun and I would have no issues heading in that direction today. In the end the big issue for me to consider is mags. I prefer to use AK mags (since I do have an AK and you might eventually) and so I eventually got a CMMG and PTR that uses AK mags but aren't AK's. If you want to get an AK I have Arsenal ones and they have been mint.
Not sure if that helps...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to be able find 7.62 x 39 mm and at a cheaper price.

Link please? Cool

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The mags problem is an issue of the past - stick with CProducts defense (I've had one bum 20-round mag out of a dozen, and zero problems with 18 28-rounders. No reports of problems with their 30-rounders, but they feel a bit more awkward to me than their 28-round mags, which are about the same size and shape as 30-round 5.56 mags.)

Still haven't found a magic solution to broken bolts, but have had zero problems so far from two Armalite carbines that have gotten a steady diet of brass-cased ammunition. I'm in the process of getting headspace checked for spare bolts "just in case" and would recommend (at this point) getting a spare headspaced bolt to keep on hand just on general principles.

I've been tempted to try the CMMG (relatively expensive) and PSA (relatively little feedback online) but haven't done so yet. The CMMG has a reputation for trouble-free functioning. The PTR 32 uses AK mags and so far doesn't seem to have any problems at all.

The argument for getting an AK is that bolt breakage problems don't exist. This is true as far as it goes, and is great (as is the PTR) if you have a supply of the relatively cheap steel-cased ammunition. I would also argue that it gets you past the carbine-length gas systems that, along with over-gassing, seem to be the easy way for AR manufacturers to come up with a system that'll eject steel casings. The Armalites I mentioned above have mid-length gas systems, but, as I also mentioned, I haven't given either one a steady diet of steel cases yet to see if there's a problem.

The arguments against getting an AK? My ARs chambered for the 7.62x39 are noticeably more accurate, I don't have to pimp anything just to get furniture that I'm comfortable with, there's an awful lot of parts commonality between ARs in 5.56 and 7.62x39, and it is, of course, easier to bolt more goodies (scopes, lights, etc.) onto steadier platforms (I like RS Regulate for AKs, but a small "tower" clamped to the side-mount on a receiver is no great substitute for a rail machined into the top of an AR receiver and getting a scope to clear that trunnion-mounted rear sight on an AK can be a royal PITA).

By the way, 7.62x39 is easy to reload for.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One minor update to what I wrote. To be clear the CMMG is mint and perfect. The PTR not so much, runs everything but lots about it sucks (like the trigger), and stock, and forend... but it is AK reliable. and you can mount an optic without vodoo. I run the ultimak rail on my AK's and its tolerable, but its nothing like having an AR or a receiver rail. There are also lots of other stuff that eats 7.62x39 like the sig 556R if you can find one or the cz vz58 (I have a couple of those, mostly an AK with a few improvements, but mags are not the same) or bolt guns like the CZ 527 (have one and its very nice) or the Ruger. In any case I think everyone should have an AK....

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
I seem to be able find 7.62 x 39 mm and at a cheaper price.

Link please? Cool

I have been a prime member here and get frequent notifications before most.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Faxon ARAK 21 would be what you are seeking. They did offer a AK style upper to fit the AR lower. Their ARAK rifle can switch barrel for 3 calibers.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I've been looking around for an ARAK 21 upper assemblies for a while. Can't seem to find anyone with stock. I thought Faxon had discontinued it, but their customer rep assured me they have not. Their own website has been listing as "Sold Out" for years. Frown

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been a fan of the 7.62x39, and back in the 90’s Colt offered an upper that came with their “10” round mag and the only difference I could find in the mag (from a 223/5.56) mag was it was mag was marked 7.62x39 (as was the upper & barrel) ... but even though that mag would hold 7 rounds, it only shot 4 rounds reliably.
Now of course the mag issue is resolved, and that upper is long gone.

I’ve since bought an 8” & 16” AR barrels but still regret letting the Colt slip away.

I missed out on the gen1 PTR 7.62x39 so I had one built by a reputable builder and it has been flawless, but only with fiber mags, steel mags flop around ... then, even tho PTR said there wouldn’t be a gen2, there was.

Also, the SiG 556xi762 which I’ve heard of some problems, but I’ve not seen any... so either I got a good one or I just haven’t shot it enough.

I’m also a believer that everyone should have an AK. I’ve got one I built from a flat that has been completely unreliable, but I have an early Arsenal ‘95 and a Zastava PAP92 that both have been great.

I guess I’m saying is, get something!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post