SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    help choosing my first Bolt Action
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help choosing my first Bolt Action Login/Join 
Picture of Raff661
posted
so I'm in the market for a bolt action rifle,I'm not trying to drop over $800 since this would be my first, the only other experience with rifles is with the AR platform so I'm just looking for some input from anyone who has had experience with the models I'm currently considering, the rifles I'm looking at are all chambered in .308, so far I've narrowed it down to the savage axis ii, savage fcp-sr 10, remington 700,Weatherby Vanguard 2, or howa whitetail, pretty much trying to get the best bang for my buck

Posts: 37 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
IMO the Rem700 would get you the most bang for your buck.
There's LOTS of aftermarket parts for the 700.
So down the road once you become more accustomed to the rifle and you decide that you want to make some changes.... you already have the base rifle to begin with.

What's the purpose for the rifle?
plinking at the range?
hunting?
something else?

What's the expected distance to shoot?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Google Remington Rebates. Remington is currently offering rebates on some of their 700 bolt action rifles. Other manufactures may be doing the same.

On rebate is on the 700 Magpul which comes with some nice features.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 700.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, every time I put up a post I always forget some important piece of information lol but I want it for long distance target shooting(200-700 yards) and eventually deer hunting so I rifle than can do both, I'm up in the air as far as caliber goes now from what I've been reading so I'm considering the 30-06 as well so any input on caliber would be great too

Posts: 37 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
Yeah I really like the magpul stock on the 700 will definitely look into it
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
Google Remington Rebates. Remington is currently offering rebates on some of their 700 bolt action rifles. Other manufactures may be doing the same.

Henryrifle

Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
Just looked up the rebates on the magpul and it was $150 rebate but ended July 30th Frown
quote:

Henryrifle

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
New rebate is $75. Not as good as before but better than a stick in the eye.

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
700 yards is really starting to stretch for both .308 and 30-06

For pure target shooting at that range I'd start looking at something like 6.5 creedmore.
For hunting though... I'll have to bow out to somebody else's expertise.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Remington 700.
I have .308 and .223.
Both are excellent, reasonably priced performers.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a $50 rebate from Savage for the Axis & Trophy Hunter XP, not sure if it includes Axis II:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ophy-hunter-2017.pdf

PSA always has good deals but most of the Savages are out of stock:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...fles/savage.html?p=1

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raff661:
Sorry guys, every time I put up a post I always forget some important piece of information lol but I want it for long distance target shooting(200-700 yards) and eventually deer hunting so I rifle than can do both, I'm up in the air as far as caliber goes now from what I've been reading so I'm considering the 30-06 as well so any input on caliber would be great too

6.5 Creedmoor. Take advantage of a modern caliber, bullets, ballistics, lower recoil.....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
700 yards is really starting to stretch for both .308 and 30-06

For pure target shooting at that range I'd start looking at something like 6.5 creedmore.
For hunting though... I'll have to bow out to somebody else's expertise.

6.5CM is doing quite well in the hunting world as well.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
From your list, the Savage model 10. You should reevaluate your choice of Caliber however. Give some thought to the 6.5 Creedmoor, you'll be glad you did....

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
If strictly sticking to your list, I go with the Howa, Save FCP second. Id complete wipe the Axis off the list.

I'll be the lone detractor here and say to avoid Remington. QC is spotty at best and overall. Remington products have been going south for years.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+ another for 6.5 Creedmoor

Hornady set the bar for factory 6.5 ammo prices, and thus the cost per round of quality (i.e. not military surplus FMJ garbage) ammo is about the same as 308.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Henryrifle

my shooting buddy has a 700 308 in a magpul stock that we hit a 12" plate at 650 yards with almost every time to the point it got boring and are working on an 800 yard target.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

my shooting buddy has a 700 308 in a magpul stock that we hit a 12" plate at 650 yards with almost every time to the point it got boring and are working on an 800 yard target.

Just take that 12" plate and move it out another 150 yards. Putting a bigger plate at 800 won't add anything to the challenge except that the wind will have an extra fraction of a second to work on your bullet...

For the OP: .308 has been used very successfully out to 1000 yards with the right loads, it will do fine at 700. That said, a 6.5CM will give you more range, a flatter trajectory and less wind drift than the .308, and with somewhat less recoil. I own both and shoot both in medium and long range matches. My .308 is built on a Win 70, and the 6.5 on a Remington 700.

One thing to consider if you're going to go with a .308: When you get out to 700 yards and beyond, you want all the muzzle velocity you can get (subject to accuracy requirements), so look for something with a longer barrel, 24"+. OTOH, if you're also going to hunt with it (I'm presuming that would be a lesser distances), you may want to compromise on a somewhat shorter barrel in the interest of saving weight.

I'm not a hunter so I'm not up on what hunting bullets are available in 6.5 (or in .308 for that matter, really). You didn't say whether or not you handload - if you do you'll certainly have a wider selection of bullets to choose from.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
There are several folks recommending 6.5 Creedmoor and I would agree with those recommendations wholeheartedly. As others have said, it has better ballistics, less recoil and excellent availability of match and hunting factory ammo. I would expect no or minimal difference in entry cost for the actual rifle.

You don’t say if you hand load or intend to but my experience is this: I try hard to keep the calibers I load for down to a minimum. That has meant 9mm, .45 ACP, 2.23 and .308. I hated the thought of adding 6.5 Creedmoor but I am very glad I did. You can make some extremely accurate ammo for 6.5 with readily available components although one of the best 6.5 powders is hard to find right now.

That said, reloading for the .308 is equally rewarding. Hundreds of known good loads and years and years of data to comb through. Components and powders abound for .308 and you can almost always find a suitable powder to use.

Not to contradict anything I wrote above but it is easy to get caught up in the 1000 yard plus capability. That seems to be all the rage in the gun world these days. Living in Atlanta, GA., there are no public or club ranges that offer distances greater than 600-700 yards and that mid-distance is easily within the capability of the .308.

All that said, unless you have a good reason to purchase a .308, I’d strongly recommend checking out the 6.5 Creedmoor too.

Henryrifle

Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
Yeah I lowered my distance expectations and the reason I'm leaning towards the .308 is the price per round I know 6.5 has gone down a bit but it's still more expensive in my area, and the more range time I can get with the rifle the better but in definitely taking everything u guys are saying into consideration and looking further into it.
quote:
There are several folks recommending 6.5 Creedmoor and I would agree with those recommendations wholeheartedly. As others have said, it has better ballistics, less recoil and excellent availability of match and hunting factory ammo. I would expect no or minimal difference in entry cost for the actual rifle.

You don’t say if you hand load or intend to but my experience is this: I try hard to keep the calibers I load for down to a minimum. That has meant 9mm, .45 ACP, 2.23 and .308. I hated the thought of adding 6.5 Creedmoor but I am very glad I did. You can make some extremely accurate ammo for 6.5 with readily available components although one of the best 6.5 powders is hard to find right now.

That said, reloading for the .308 is equally rewarding. Hundreds of known good loads and years and years of data to comb through. Components and powders abound for .308 and you can almost always find a suitable powder to use.

Not to contradict anything I wrote above but it is easy to get caught up in the 1000 yard plus capability. That seems to be all the rage in the gun world these days. Living in Atlanta, GA., there are no public or club ranges that offer distances greater than 600-700 yards and that mid-distance is easily within the capability of the .308.

All that said, unless you have a good reason to purchase a .308, I’d strongly recommend checking out the 6.5 Creedmoor too.

Henryrifle