SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    help choosing my first Bolt Action
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help choosing my first Bolt Action Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Don't start with a 308.

This.

Large part of shooting LR is learning to read the wind. In order to get good at reading the wind I strongly believe we need to see our impacts, not rely on someone else to tell us where the bullet impacted, hit or miss. Even an experience shooter is going to have a tough time controlling the recoil of 308 and seeing their impacts. Simple fact, we all shoot/control lower recoiling rifles better. OP, not sure what eventually mean as far as hunting? If that day is down the road, suggest a 223 for now. You'll have a much easier time controlling recoil, easier to shoot, easier to learn fundamentals on, plenty of quality match ammo... As a competitive LR steel shooter I'm fortunate to have my hands on many rifles, scopes, chassis...in the last several years. I don't own one, but from handling lots of stuff a Tikka T3 223 with a 8 twist barrel would be a great rifle to learn on. A 8 twist will stabilize a 77 grain class bullet. The distance you are wanting to shoot 8 twist/77 would be the way to go.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Does it seem like the prices of Tikkas have climbed steadily to the point they are now a bit on the high end? I was in a shop and a guy was about to myopically buy one when I pointed out that the on-sale SAKO A7 right beside it was only $30 more.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
.308 win mag is a great round. Can shoot a variety of weights of bullets. Recoil is manageable. Get a good recoil pad. A good trigger is always nice.
I am not a savage guy or 700 Rem. generally. I do like Weatherby but have no experience with Vanguard.

I do like Tikka so would look there. Definitely can do in your budget. Might also look and Browning. But again I don't have one.

There are tons of good used rifles that are not bottom end guns. Could get a really great used one easily in your budget. If you can find an old Remington in a model 788 I would buy it in a heartbeat if mechanically sound.

Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Howa in .270 it's a tack driver.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
I own a Howa in .270 it's a tack driver.

270 is a grest cartridge, for over a decade, all I had was a 270 with a fixed power scope. I took several sheep, moose, elk and antelope with it over those years.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Nope....definitely DO NOT get a 6.5 Creedmoor, and most definitely DO NOT start reloading for it.

I'm having a hard enough time as it is finding 140 ELD M and H4350 powder.

In all reality the 6.5 CM is an outstanding choice.
It's boringly accurate and very easy to find affordable factory ammunition. I reload so excluding brass which can be used many times, I can reload premium ammunition tuned to my rifle for about $0.46 cents per round vs $1.35 per round buying factory loaded Hornady ammunition using the same components.

I really don't see why anyone would want to shoot .308 unless they like more recoil and inferior ballistics compared to the 6.5CM.

There are many factory built affordable rifles chambered in 6.5CM. Savage and Tikka would be my choices. If you find out you enjoy shooting bolt guns at distance a full blown custom won't be far behind.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
[quote]I really don't see why anyone would want to shoot .308

maybe a heavier projectile? Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

I don't see the advantage. The 6.5CM hangs ballistically with the .300WM. I don't rifle hunt, but my father killed many deer and bear with a .243 and 115 grain hunting loads. I get it...you like your .308. At one time I loved mine. The fact of the matter is long range shooting is evolving and the equipment and calibers are evolving along with it and becoming mainstream. Shoot whatever you want. I'll stick with my 6.5CM

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

After taking every game species Ive gone after with it from stone sheep to Moose to Elk, I dont know why you wouldnt want to shoot it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Best bang would be to find an older Tikka 595.
Tikka T3 are good as well, I just feel the older series actions scaled to cartridge length was more efficient when chambered for .308 or shorter cartridges.

Of those you listed I'd go vanguard or Howa.
Not a fan of recent manufactured Rem 700.

I believe the vanguard uses the Howa action.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Well, then there is always the 6.5 x 284 cartridge. Not very common and may be hard to find but excellent choice for a long range rifle.

Savage 6.5 X 284 Norma

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:

The 6.5CM hangs ballistically with the .300WM.

Huh?

Differnces of 450 fps, 1400 ft lbs of energy.....while using a bigger bullet are considered "hanging with" ?

300WM is producing the same energy and more speedat 300 yards than the 6.5 at the muzzle.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

swage, two guys I know who have been shooting/competing with 6x47's are using IMR4350 for the last couple years, give it a try if you can find it. Neither is having any issues with temp sensitivity. When I was shooting a 6.5x47, 140 Hybrids sure shot well!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A remington 700 in 30 cal (308, 30-06, 300 WinMag, etc) and a nice Leopold 3-9 or 4-12 scope will serve you well for any game in North America.

Though unless you reload [yet], the .06 may provide more bullet weights for off the shelf ammo (lighter weight for smaller game, heavier for bigger).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
quote:

The 6.5CM hangs ballistically with the .300WM.

Huh?

Differnces of 450 fps, 1400 ft lbs of energy.....while using a bigger bullet are considered "hanging with" ?

300WM is producing the same energy and more speedat 300 yards than the 6.5 at the muzzle.

I'm referring to drop and drift. I could care less about foot pounds of energy.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

swage, two guys I know who have been shooting/competing with 6x47's are using IMR4350 for the last couple years, give it a try if you can find it. Neither is having any issues with temp sensitivity. When I was shooting a 6.5x47, 140 Hybrids sure shot well!

I've played with some IMR 4551 and some RL 17 as alternatives this past spring/summer. I'm having a Big Horn 6 Dasher put together this fall for next season and rebarreling the Deviant with a 6x47.
Hoping it'll be another six or seven years before the masses switch to 6MM variants.

Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
So I decide to go with the savage axis II xp in .308 my local gun store has it for $309 and for that price I can get a good scoop and stock later on and another handgun while I'm at it lol but thanks for all your guys input I really appreciate it.

Posts: 37 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am kind of a rifle snob now as I get older. I bought my son a Savage Axis for his first rifle and everything we go shooting, I get a little pissed that his $300.00 rifle shoots that damned good. I do not think you will regret your choice.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raff661:
So I decide to go with the savage axis II xp in .308 my local gun store has it for $309 and for that price I can get a good scoop and stock later on and another handgun while I'm at it

The Savage should work well for you.

But consider what your goals are. Do you want to state, "I now have a bolt action rifle and another handgun." Or do you want to state, "I have a bolt action rifle that I can shoot very well."

If it's the former, don't upgrade anything, and just go buy another pistol.

If it's the latter, ixnay the pistol, upgrade the stock, upgrade the trigger, get a good scope and rings, buy a decent bipod, buy a rear squeeze bag or two, buy some decent ammo (FGMM 168 at Palmetto now often sells for $16 per box of 20), and practice. Then practice some more.

I recommend the latter.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No love here for the 6.5 Swede? comes in the Tikka, bullet weights way up to 160, great cases from Lupua, targets and animals won't know it didn't come out of a CM case.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post