SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rimfire Scope recommendation for 10/22 TD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire Scope recommendation for 10/22 TD Login/Join 
Picture of Drew816
posted
Reading the other threads on Rimfire scope recommendations I've got a few ideas, but I wanted to see what the community had to offer.

Specs: Prefer 2x to start and a 32mm in size.
Distance: 30-50 yards (occasionally 100)
Duty: Tight paper groups, creature control
Cost: Let's say below $150 but Maybe $200
Other: Suppressor is likely to be used (Sparrow or HTA Kestrel).

The TD 10/22 is meant to be a lightweight setup, so I hate to throw a monster scope on there. The Bushnell AR for $108 w/ the BDC Reticle looks like a good cheap option until you look at the weight at 19 oz, ouch!

I'm leaning towards the Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x w/ BDC as it seems the best compromise for size, options and weight (16 oz).

The Leupold is only a 28mm setup but 9 oz, normal reticle and of course outstanding durability but this one leaves me a little flat and for quite a bit more money.

The Vortex Crossfire II isn't really a Rimfire scope, but seems to work for close to the same price as the Nikon.

Thoughts? I'd rather buy once and cry once, but I also don't need a Rimfire scope that costs more than the weapon if you know what I mean.

Then what about lighted reticles? What does that do to this equation if there are even any Rimfire options there at all?

Thanks as always!

==================================

Posts: 476 | Registered: February 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Weaver 4x28 fixed. It's awesome and for a TD, pretty much perfect for me. I have them on both of my 10/22s (one TD, one old carbine).

For shooting critters out to 50 it has been great.

Costs about $140 but at times you can get them on sale for less (I got one of mine from Midway on sale for $100).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I would prefer a variable (2-7x or 3-9x) but it's good to know other options too; a 4x only has crossed my mind. I should have put this in my specs, darn it, I knew I'd forget something!

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest...that Nikon 3-9 rimfire scope I got from Brownell's a little while back impressed the crap outta me...it's a dandy...I have it mounted on a SIG 522 using Leupold QRW medium height rings with risers and from 50 to 100 yards using the ranging reticle it works like a charm...a little over 13 oz....but the Leupold rings are steel and a little heavy (at least more so than aluminum rings)...

I'm glad Black92LX posted about his satisfaction with this series of rimfire scopes Smile

http://www.brownells.com/optic...re-ii-prod75029.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have also used the Weaver 2.5-7x28 on my rimfires - its currently on my S&W MP-15/22. I just haven't shot that rifle in awhile so it slipped my mind in my initial response. Wink

They run about $150.

For me Weaver is my go to scope for rimfires <10x. The smaller form factor / objective is nice, it keeps the weapons slim for me.

Above that power range I like Burris Timberline / Droptine, but they are far too big for the 10/22 (IMO) and they are on my CZ bolt actions.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Simmons scope listed in this review of four scope recommendations for a 10/22 won't make you cry, but I have it on my 10/22 and find that it performs quite well.

Scopes

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x. I have an older VX-I and it's perfect for a 10/22.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My TD has the Leupold FX-I 4x28 rimfire scope. Its street price is at the top end of your range (~$200). For anything out to 50 yards, I find it incomparable.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went through this earlier.

This is what i came up with.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3470035424

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Weaver 4x28 fixed. It's awesome and for a TD, pretty much perfect for me. I have them on both of my 10/22s (one TD, one old carbine). [QUOTE]

This is what I did. The Weaver 4x28 is a nice fit for the 10/22 Takedown. Good glass for a good price.

If you want to up the budget, then the 2x7 or 4x Leupold 28mm scopes are hard to beat for this application.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I just went through this two days ago, and ended up ordering the Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12x40.

Initially, I had my heart set on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire in 4-12. This was because I had read a ton of reviews from guys that bought the 3-9, but had wished they'd bought the 4-12, but the deal breaker for me on the Nikon was the parallax.

The Nikon rimfire has a parallax setting of 80 yards, and the center fire scopes were set to 100 yards. Since I do most of my 10/22 shooting at 50 yards, and since the Vortex is adjustable from 25 yards to infinity, and since optics planet it blowing them out at 173 bucks, the deal was sealed on the Vortex.

Subscribing to the buy once, cry once philosophy, I bought the scope I could repurpose to another rifle if I wanted to, or just sell outright at a minimal loss.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JJexp,

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm the only one having luck with my $20 4x Tasco I bought at Walmart.

I'll look at everyone's recommendations for a variable.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very happy with my Nikon P-Rimfire and Simmons scopes on my TDs. Then again I’m quite happy (and accurate) with my iron sights (Nodak + Techsights) as well.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I just went through this two days ago, and ended up ordering the Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12x40.

Initially, I had my heart set on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire in 4-12. This was because I had read a ton of reviews from guys that bought the 3-9, but had wished they'd bought the 4-12, but the deal breaker for me on the Nikon was the parallax.

The Nikon rimfire has a parallax setting of 80 yards, and the center fire scopes were set to 100 yards. Since I do most of my 10/22 shooting at 50 yards, and since the Vortex is adjustable from 25 yards to infinity, and since optics planet it blowing them out at 173 bucks, the deal was sealed on the Vortex.

Subscribing to the buy once, cry once philosophy, I bought the scope I could repurpose to another rifle if I wanted to, or just sell outright at a minimal loss.

Perhaps I need to be schooled on the parallax setting stuffs. What I see for parallax setting is the Leupold 2-7x is 60 yards, the Nikon P-Rimfire 50 and the regular Crossfire II 100 and the Crossfire II Rimfire is 50 yards. How can you tell which of these scopes are adjustable below these "set" numbers? More often than not I will be shooting more like 25-35 yards so the closer to that setting the better.

Is there a primer somewhere I can read up on this stuff, happy to do so.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Guess I'm the only one having luck with my $20 4x Tasco I bought at Walmart.

I'll look at everyone's recommendations for a variable.

that makes 2 of us! I have one on my Marlin 795.. I have $100 into gun and scope and it's one of my favorite shooters (actually, it WAS one of my favorites until like an asshole I totally took it apart down to nuts and bolts to paint, it's been at my buddies house for a year to get fixed because it doesnt cycle now)

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drew816:
quote:

Perhaps I need to be schooled on the parallax setting stuffs. What I see for parallax setting is the Leupold 2-7x is 60 yards, the Nikon P-Rimfire 50 and the regular Crossfire II 100 and the Crossfire II Rimfire is 50 yards. How can you tell which of these scopes are adjustable below these "set" numbers? More often than not I will be shooting more like 25-35 yards so the closer to that setting the better.

This might help...there's a simpler explanation out there if I can find it...I think it's over on the rimfire central website.

EDIT...I found it...this is the thread from Rimfire Central with pictures...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=364832

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drew816:
quote:

Nikon User had a pretty good thread on riflescope quality. He addresses parallax in the second paragraph, labeled "The objective lens."

Nikon User's riflescope primer thread

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the hawke and the swfsa i have in my link above are 10yds paralax. Fantastic scopes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
On recommendation of a local rimfire afficionado I tried a Sightron 2-7 on my TD...inexpensive and very happy with it. I just can't see spending big $$$ on a basic field/range 22. Scope.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
I found a Leupold VX-1 2-7x Rimfire used for a really good deal and I'm going to give it a whirl. Same price as many of these other options I figure it's worth a try and based on all the reviews and many 10/22 users of this setup I suspect it will work out fine. Lightweight, US made, great warranty I'll report back once it's all setup and running.

Thank you all for the opinions and education. Many of the scopes and options mentioned I'm sure would work quite well, I'll keep them all in mind for the next purchase...