SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    US Service Rifles... All of em
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Service Rifles... All of em Login/Join 
posted
OK, "service muskets and rifles"? "service muskets, rifles, and carbines"? "service long arms"? Something like that...

My goal is a collection of the main (or "important") US issue weapons, from Revolution to today. So far, I am thinking along the lines of:

Long Land Brown Bess
1795 Springfield (One on the way)
1842 Springfield Musket (one on the way)
1861 Springfield Rifle
1873 Springfield Trapdoor (Got one)
1892 Krag (Got one)
1903 Springfield (Got one)
1917 Eddystone
M1 Garand (Got one)
M14

Here's where I start going off the rails a bit. Do I build a Colt 601, as the "first" version fielded of the M16?
Definitely a solid argument for doing an M16A1.
Is the M16A2 really different enough from the A1 to need to be in there?
Then do an M4 of some sort no doubt. I am not as up on these as some of the earlier pieces...

Of course, if there's anything I missed from earlier, please feel free to jump in and help me dispose of all this "excess" money! It's bad enough I've had to shift focus and scurry around trying to get anything that qualifies as "extra scary and super duper assaulty" under our new state law bought before it goes into effect.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that would be a fun collection to have

very cool

i wouldn't worry about adding an A2 initially - but you know eventually you will probably get one Smile

I would say an A1 version is representative of the 'early' effective 'mass produced' design without getting too far in the weeds
--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Of course, if there's anything I missed from earlier, please feel free to jump in and help me dispose of all this "excess" money!

Well, if you're doing "service muskets, rifles, and carbines", then you need a M1 Carbine.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
m1 carbine for sure.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah.. I guess if I'm putting an M4 in there, then the M1 needs to show up, too! Got to find me some more $$$...

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd do an M16A1, M16A2, and M4A1 (with RIS and optic) because that is the configuration that has essentially become the current standard service rifle.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It would be very costly to clone a 601 in the current market. Some guys are doing it and it is approaching M16 prices.......

I would do an M16A1 (603) and call it good. That was the commonly fielded model. It would be almost impossible to clone every transitional/developmental version of EVERY rifle. Especially the M16. There were lots of transitional periods where old parts from prior models were used up on newer iterations.

It depends on how 'correct' you want it to be.

Do you want real 601 parts for everything except the receiver? Super costly and still not 100% unless you buy a transferable 601 receiver.

If you are willing to fake it for the look, much more doable. Just be sure that the parts are clearly marked as such in an obscure place so they never get misrepresented on the secondary market.

I don't think there is anything wrong with painting your handguards green or brown so long as you aren't trying to sell them as real 601 parts.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I'd do an M16A1, M16A2, and M4A1 (with RIS and optic) because that is the configuration that has essentially become the current standard service rifle.

Don't forget the XM177.

The BlackHawk down era CARs were neat too.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Your biggest limit will be your wallet.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're just scratching the surface.

Wikipedia - list of US armed forces service weapons

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Gotta have a Spencer rifle.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You're going to need to add a Charleville 1763 or 1766 to the Brown Bess - massive amounts came in as French aid or sales.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
For it's time, the Henry rifle was considered important. I would include one especially since I like lever actions. Smile

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
You're just scratching the surface.

Wikipedia - list of US armed forces service weapons

I started down that road years ago and decided to stop,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M16A2 is pretty different from the A1 and had a very long service life with lots of different combat use from Grenada, Panama to Gulf War 1 through Iraq and Afghanistan for the GWOT, plus it is relatively inexpensive and easy to clone. So I'd do that an an M4 clone and you'd be done until DOD finally settles on an M4 replacement.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Gotta get the 1917! My Winchester just had her 101st birthday, born December of 1917. I prefer it and it's sights over the 1903 by quite a bit.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m aaaaallllll over the 1917! Just wish I could find one local for a reasonable price.... they’ve kind of gotten up there of late. I lucked out on my 1903, and found a “less than perfect” example, but so far no luck on the ‘17

Bill R

posted Hide Post
Beside the 1903, you need an 03A3 as well!

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Gotta get the 1917!

I prefer it and it's sights over the 1903 by quite a bit.

Same.

I think the M1917 is the ideal military bolt-action rifle from the WW1/WW2 era. Rugged and accurate, with a potent caliber, smooth and fast cock-on-closing bolt action, robust peep sight, and 6 round magazine. The main downside is that's it's a bit long and heavy compared to some others.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely need an m1 carbine. Re: M16 variants, I would do a m16a1, m16a2, and a m4a1 - preferably all Colt if you can swing it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post