SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    US Service Rifles... All of em
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Service Rifles... All of em Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would have to have a Thompson, in a collection like that.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It's up to you the depth of variations you want in your collection.
Me, I'd go with a representation of each advancement in arms. So either the A1or A2, but not both.
Now, if you were getting by major war or conflict. You would need both (and include the A4, and M4)

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add to your list: Winchester Model 1895. About 10K 1895 "muskets" were acquired by the US for use in the Spanish American War. Delivery was made just after the war ended.
US marked 1895 Winchester muskets are quite rare.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I think the M1917 is the ideal military bolt-action rifle from the WW1/WW2 era. Rugged and accurate, with a potent caliber, smooth and fast cock-on-closing bolt action, robust peep sight, and 6 round magazine. The main downside is that's it's a bit long and heavy compared to some others.

Even over the No.4 mkI? I’m sticking to US for my “official” collection, but when it comes to range time, I love shooting the Enfield...

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
It's up to you the depth of variations you want in your collection.
Me, I'd go with a representation of each advancement in arms. So either the A1or A2, but not both.
Now, if you were getting by major war or conflict. You would need both (and include the A4, and M4)

That’s about where I was thinking... not so much “one of each”, but each main change forward in design.

Who am I kidding... I bet I end up with more rather than less... I’ve already ended up with two Springfield Trapdoors, one an Allen Conversion in .50-70....

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Even over the No.4 mkI?

Yep, by a nose. I think the M1917/P14 rifle is a bit more rugged, and a little "classier", than the No. 4.

I do like Enfields, though...

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK

Yep, by a nose. I think the M1917/P14 rifle is a bit more rugged, and a little "classier", than the No. 4.

And.... you can convert the 1917 action into a 416 Rigby. So there’s that....

Bill R

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As a fellow Washingtonian dealing with this stupid law, I humbly suggest you just buy the lowers for the AR variants you’re looking at building. If you care about having an A1 or non-fenced lower, snag a Nodak Spud and as many A2 lowers as makes sense for your goals. They’re as cheap as they’ve ever been right now, and that’s the part that trips the fun with the new law. Take your time and build them up at your leisure from there without it killing your budget for other complete rifles. I plan to add a few more myself, even though I’m not at all interested in any more AR’s.

The bolt rifles aren’t semi-auto and don’t fall under the purview of I639, as I understand it. Those can be de-prioritized. Get yourself an M1 Garand and M1 carbine. Every red-blooded American gun owner ought to own at least one, preferably both types, maybe multiples of each. Just can’t go wrong there. A further argument could be made for owning an M14 type as well, but for my money, I’d rather own a second Garand. Just me, there.

A Thompson of any officially adopted configuration would be fun to have in the safe, but honestly, I would put it pretty far down on the list in terms of cost vs reward.

For folks chiming in from out-of-state, EVERYTHING semi-auto, pistol, rifle and shotgun from July 1st, 2019 will be legally considered an assault weapon, and the purchasing of will permanently waive your HIPAA rights, and you’ll be subject to safe storage inspections and having to undergo regular “training” classes to allow you to keep them. Nobody under 21 gets to shoot anything semi auto anymore as of, I believe, New Years. And there’s even more shitty stuff included beyond that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The CMP currently has a good number of Service Grade Garands available, with relatively quick shipping by CMP standards (~2 weeks, whereas the wait is usually measured in months).

$750 shipped.

If you want a M1 Garand, now's a great time get one.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
CMP can’t ship to your door in this state, has to be transferred to an FFL and there’s a 10% “usage tax” fee for whatever you paid for it, (or market value, so have your receipt to prove that taxes have been paid, which may not apply to CMP purchases, you’ll need to look into it) for any gun transferred from out of state. So be aware of that. If you find a good Garand locally, it might be a possibly better option unless you view the tax as part of doing business.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
If you consider civil war carbines, you are missing quite a bit.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Should have a SCAR in there.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Johnson rifle would be cool to have. I held one once and really wanted it. But $4000 was out of reach.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post