SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pros and Cons: AR Platform or AK Platform? Can only buy one...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and Cons: AR Platform or AK Platform? Can only buy one... Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Expand your range of options to include the SKS.

Even an good SKS would be tough to find for ~$300 these days.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
AR

Con - Potentially less reliable in dirty/muddy/sandy conditions

AK

Pro - Reliable, even when exposed to mud/dirt/sand

Test I saw where they dumped a bunch of sandy mud onto a rifle in a wheelbarrow, the AR kept working even when tested with the ejection port open.

The AK failed because it had gaps large enough to allow gravely crud in.

The AR bolt carrier fits tightly enough that nothing got in, and all the crud blew off the ejection port with the first shot.

OP... go with an AR. You can build a very good AR close to your price range.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
AR, then AR, then AR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

True, but there are still enough Chinese SKSs floating around these days that he may be able to boost his chances of finding a rifle that fits his needs.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
In today's market, AR prices are down, AKs not so much. To get anywhere close to your budget, I think the AR is your only choice.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

True, but there are still enough Chinese SKSs floating around these days that he may be able to boost his chances of finding a rifle that fits his needs.

Even the Chinese SKS' are between $400 - $500.

As far as the OP's original question, I would suggest the AR as well. If you check PSA, you may be able to find a bargain AR that would be close to your $350 budget. I've also seen the Ruger AR's going for $450 complete with BUIS.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's possible to build a low-buck AR with all new parts for under $400 by shopping the online deals. One has to be very lucky to find either an SKS or AK for that price used, thanks to all the import restrictions. If it wasn't for that, SKSs would still be under $200.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies so far! It’s pretty clear the AR platform is the way to go for my needs. While the 870 does fit my budgetary requirements, it falls way short on the sporting end and would be a single-purpose weapon only, so not really interested.

For those who suggested I throw more money at it, please read my OP.... essentially unemployed and with a big surgery coming up soon. I can barely pay bills as it is now so there is NO extra money to throw at anything, and saving up after December is a no-go due to the medical bills I know will be inbound. What I have provided as parameters is it; I will have to either work within them or do without! And no, I’ll not consider parting with the backup pistol I mentioned earlier either as it is a West German P230 that I just recently got to replace the one I sold last year, and this one isn’t going anywhere. I learned THAT lesson already! LOL

If this is where it ends, then I guess I’ll just do without. But at least I have an idea what to look for... if I can swing the necessary funds in time. Smile

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If the need is immediate, go get a Mossberg 500. Quit dicking around.

Later, go buy an AR.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok so here is the deal, PSA is currently having a sale on both uppers and lowers. Here are the current offerings and prices:

Upper $259.99 with charging handle and BCG

http://palmettostatearmory.com...-handle-7779344.html

PSA Classic complete lower $129.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com...classic-edition.html

So the total is approximately $390, add these items to your cart and get a total including shipping. If you have paypal I will pay the difference from the $350 budget you have so you can get these two items. After you send me proof that the transaction is complete, give me your shipping info and I will send you a fixed Troy rear sight and a couple of mags to finish this set up.

Email in profile if interested in going through with this.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Delton AR for $399 with lifetime warranty...

https://www.cdnnsports.com/del...__SID=U#.Wg4pqkpKvIU

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
Ok so here is the deal, PSA is currently having a sale on both uppers and lowers. Here are the current offerings and prices:

So the total is approximately $390, add these items to your cart and get a total including shipping. If you have paypal I will pay the difference from the $350 budget you have so you can get these two items. After you send me proof that the transaction is complete, give me your shipping info and I will send you a fixed Troy rear sight and a couple of mags to finish this set up.

That is freaking cool of you Super Shooter!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
First: Super Shooter You Rock, I love this sight because There is always someone on here to give the right advise and or go the extra mile to help a brother in need. Second: bronicabill, Sorry to here about your troubles. You need to spend your funds now, then get very committed to talking with everyone who will be sending you medical bills. Be respectful and explain your financial situation. Hospitals routinely reduce medical expenses for people in your situation. Ask for their help and you might be surprised. Good Luck

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:

Very thoughtful and generous of you Super Shooter! Looking into the financial side of it now to see if I can swing the $350.00 as I now have to go fix my wife's car before she makes a road trip this evening after work. It's always SOMETHING taking what little funds I can scrounge, so will have to see what is left when I'm done... not feeling overly optimistic at this point but will let you know via private e-mail. Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

Another awesome deal! Wow!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The generosity of Sig Forum is unbelievable in the times we are living.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

While waiting on some repairs to be done on my wife’s car, I was able to browse my favorite LGS and they have that same rifle for $415.00. I had not seen one before but it certainly looked good to me!

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Well the car service plus some unexpected repairs have been completed and the question of what to buy is now moot. The gun funds have been depleted below a level where I can buy anything, so no long guns in my future!

Thanks to everyone for all of the input, and especially to Super Shooter for the offer of help! Getting a long gun just wasn’t meant to be, so will continue without one.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Very generous forum members here!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Interesting videos, thank you for sharing.

quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
I'll leave this here.

https://youtu.be/DX73uXs3xGU

https://youtu.be/YAneTFiz5WU

The M16 platform is more reliable, hands down. Plus
Better sights.
Better safety.
Better triggers.
Better magazine release.

Plus more user serviceable. Plus more stuff, and easier to configure to the way YOU want it.

In all, the M16 platform family is a better weapon. To top it off, Special Forces carry it that use a different rifle as standard issue. Even the Russians, so yeah. AR 15/M16 platform all day long and twice on Sunday.

https://youtu.be/IgXad9x9n9E

ARman

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post