SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle brake clocking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle brake clocking Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
Should I use a new washer every time I remove the muzzle device? I can't find anything saying I should use a crush washer, rather the crowned washers are preferable and that reusing them once clocked correctly is the way to go. Any advice?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I dont use washers - just shims. But i think that has more to do with the fact theyre suppressor mounts than just the brakes themselves.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
When I say crowned washer I mean shim, the ones included with the brake.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Crush washers are generally a 1 use item.
Shims can be used over and over again with no worries.

The only real reason to use one over the other is if you're shooting suppressed.
If using a suppressor.. shims are 100% the way to go.

Use of a crush washer in this scenario can end up with your suppressor being slightly out of alignment and result in baffle and/or end-cap strikes.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, creslin, all that was my understanding of the subject.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My Griffin Taper mount came with Shims for what it's worth.

If suppressor mount I'd opt for Shims. If just a brake then crush washer would probably work.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
we were playing with a can on it last night, I'm on the trust for the suppressor, but not the owner of it.. so I'll have it with me on occasion while shooting, but will mostly be using my brake which is why I was asking.. it does look sexy though.

Thanks for the answers all!

├┼┼╕
246R