SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Athlon Cronus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Athlon Cronus Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Anybody here actually taken a look through one of these?

I know all the fanbois are going on and fucking on about Athlon. I know they make a lot of shitty, low-end models.

The Cronus is 4.5-29x56, and is their "upper-end" scope. Street price is about $1600, depending where you look.

A buddy is a dealer (I know, I know - isn't everyone a dealer? But he actually owns a very successful brick-and-mortar gun shop, not some dude that's a "dealer" from the trunk of his car) and has agreed to ship one to me for evaluation. If I like it, I pay for it, if I don't, he'll be out here to visit me next month for a match and he'll take it back with him. So I literally get to check this thing out and not even pay for shipping. Why not?

I'll be comparing it to a Gen 2 Razor.

Has anyone seen one of these yet? Any thoughts?

The one he's sending me is the gen 2 BTR with the improved reticle.

For what he's willing to sell it to me at, I figure it's at least worth a look.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Nope, haven't even heard of one, but I trust you're going to let us know how it turns out (maybe with video?).

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I've spent quite a bit of time behind a buddy's.
I would say the glass is comparable to the Bushnell Elite series scopes but slightly clearer to my eyes. (Bushnell ERS compared side-by-side.)

-There was no tunneling down to 4.5X. Cant say the
same for my S&B.
-I really liked the reticle and the illumination was
daylight bright.
-The eye relief was very forgiving, even at max
magnification.
-The zero stop was very easy to set. I helped zero
this particular scope.
-It tracked perfectly. I can't speak to durability.
We don't shoot matches and don't abuse our
equipment.

The clicks weren't as positive as I'd like them to be. Not what I would consider mushy. Just not as positive as my Razor. Not a deal killer. The parallax stops at 250 and jumps to infinity. There isn't much room for adjustment after 250. I'm more concerned with parallax at short distances personally.

It's a good scope for the money. If I needed a new scope and was on a budget I'd consider the Cronus.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are about the same things he told me. Said the glass is better than Bushnell but note as good a the new NF glass. Said the zero stop was weird, and turrets were a little mushy.

I'm shooting for something for my practice rifle. As much as I'd like the same glass on my practice rifle as my main rifle, I just can't bring myself to spend that much cash again. I don't want a crappy scope, and if this Athlon won't make the cut, I may just keep swapping glass around.

The biggest thing I've heard about the cronus that kills it from being a competition scope for me is the lack of locking windage turret. The parallax thing might bother me too, but we'll see how bad the parallax really is at distance I guess.

It should be here Monday. I'll do a video.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I considered picking one up for a RPR I purchased until Vortex announced the Gen II PST. I'm waiting to look through the new PST before making a decision.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
I've read some of the same stuff about these scopes. Never handled one so I'll watch for your thoughts. When I was looking for a FFP for my .223 they were considered. Couldn't bring myself to drop that much on a new optic company. They may very well be all that but I just couldn't do it.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
It just arrived.

A couple initial thoughts -

No locking turrets - elevation or windage. Lack of locking elevation isn't such a big deal, but the lack of locking windage will prevent this from being a competition scope, for sure.

They have apparently addressed the parallax issue on the gen 2, because this scope is marked thusly:

infinity

A full 2/5 of the rotation of the parallax adjustment is between 250 and infinity, so it's roughly comparable to the Gen2 Razor in that regard.

The turrets are definitely a bit mushier than the Gen 2 Razor, but by no means are they unusable.

Illumination works the same as the Gen 2 Razor, with the exception that the knob does not push in and out. It is always in the out position. There are 11 brightness settings, with "off" between each of them. The higher levels are easily daytime visible.

The reticle is graduated in .2 mil on the windage, and from 0-1 it is .2 mil on elevation. From +1 or -1 on out, it is .5 mil graduation. It's a christmas-tree style reticle, not entirely unlike the EBR-2C.

The magnification ring has a protrusion on it to make grabbing it easier, and provides an index point so you don't have to look at it (assuming you use it often enough to get used to it). It is also far easier to adjust than a Vortex. Not as smooth/loose as a USO, but much easier to manipulate than a Vortex.

The bottom of the scope is marked "Made in Japan", which explains the glass quality. At this time, I have no review of glass quality - it is raining and extremely overcast here today, not a good day for lookin.

Initial thoughts are that for what it cost me, I'm impressed. Whether or not I would remain impressed at the street price will depend on glass quality, which I will hopefully get to check out in a day or two.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
not some dude that's a "dealer" from the trunk of his car)

I have a truck thank you very much.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the lack of locking windage will prevent this from being a competition scope, for sure.

Why?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
but the lack of locking windage will prevent this from being a competition scope, for sure.

Why?

RMD

The type of competitions I participate in involve frequent walks for ~100-200 yards between stages carrying the rifle slung. It could easily get spun while carrying it because it doesn't lock.

It could also get spun in the middle of a stage if it gets bumped against a barricade.

Warpig - no disrespect intended. It just seems that *everyone* is an Athlon dealer these days. It's like the next wave of Mary Kay or something. Not the most inviting business model for consumers, IMO.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Why?

RMD

The type of competitions I participate in involve frequent walks for ~100-200 yards between stages carrying the rifle slung. It could easily get spun while carrying it because it doesn't lock.

It could also get spun in the middle of a stage if it gets bumped against a barricade.

Warpig - no disrespect intended. It just seems that *everyone* is an Athlon dealer these days. It's like the next wave of Mary Kay or something. Not the most inviting business model for consumers, IMO.

I was just busting balls, I dont offend easily.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Checked out glass quality on lunch. Focused the scope on a rock pile about 500 yards out the back door, and then set up the Gen 2 Razor, focused on the same rock pile.

The minimal 2x additional magnification on the Athlon is noticeable. FOV at max magnification is 12 MIL, vs 50 MOA for the Razor.

The Razor was a bit more clear and crisp, with better color resolution.

The Athlon appeared slightly "washed out", but it was still easy to see the individual rocks in the broken up cement that made up most of the pile.

At a street price of $1600, I think it's a pretty good scope - as long as it tracks. I'm still waiting for rings.

At the price I'm able to get it for, it's an absolute bargain - again, as long as it tracks - and it will be going on my practice rifle.

jlemmy - you'll be able to check it out @ the spring shoot. As long as it tracks! Smile

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Curious to know, exx1976, if there is an update regarding this scope. I am thinking about the 4.5-29x56 but it would have to be the original Cronus as the new one, the BTR, does not seem to be available in MOA.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Maybe it didn't track.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post