SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .308 rifle suggestions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 rifle suggestions Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
Looking for suggestions for a bolt action hunting style rifle. I'd like a synthetic stock, free floated barrel, preferably pillar bedding or chassis bedding, 18 to 24 inch barrel. I'll probably change out the trigger if necessary to a Timney, so fancy triggers are not a deciding factor but may be a plus.
This isn't going to be 1000 yard rifle, but will be used between 200 and 600 yards.
Already have a Primary Arms 4-14x44 ARC2 MOA scope to be used.

Any suggestions for recommendations to help me weed through all the choices online would be appreciated!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest some variant of the Sako 85. Well made, accurate,great triggers, 60 degree bolt.

Downsides: Expensive mags and limited selection of scope mounts.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my Tikka T3 in 308.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tikka's are excellent Rifles, Sako's are the upscale luxury version from the same company (Sako bought Tikka they use the same barrels). Plenty of other great choices depending on your price range. For super lightweight look at a Kimber Montana, lightweight look at the Tikka T3x lightweight or Kimber Hunter. The Ruger Gunsite Scout is a neat rifle worth looking at. If you want one of the "coolest" rifles out there check out a Steyr Scout.
There are also some excellent less expensive choices from Savage and Howa. LOTS of good choices.

Really the best thing to do is to find a well stocked gunstore and handle as many different rifles as you can and pick the one that fits you the best. If you are out where there aren't any gun stores I'd comment that the Sako is a no-brainer great gun if you can afford one, Guaranteed 5shot sub MOA at 100yds Tikka's are 3shot sub-MOA guaranteed.............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my Kimber Montana 308, the trigger is as good, maybe better than a timney and the stock is excellent as well, as nice as any McMillan I’ve handled. I think they are a great value for a mountain rifle. With Talley lightweight low rings and a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 it weighs a bit under 6lbs. It shoots great too, it’s going to heat up if you shoot too fast but that’s not what it’s intended for so sort of a moot point.

I have a Winchester mode 70 extreme weather rifle in 30-06 (they make them in 308 too) that is also an excellent rifle, very well built, and comes in right a hair above 8lbs with a meopta meopro 3-9x40. That gun is incredibly accurate and the quality is apparent immediately. I love that rifle too.

The tikkas are good to, prices are going up very soon with them but last I checked, you could get a t3x lite (not the super lite) from Whitaker’s for like 569.00. While I’m not a tikka fanboy it’s pretty hard to argue with the real world results they get.

Christensen arms makes some nice guns, the Mesa and the ridge line are what comes to mind they are basically the same gun but the ridgeline has a carbon wrapped barrel which is cool, I believe those come with timney triggers or an equivalent trigger. I have an older ridgeline that I’ve hardly used. It dosent even have a scope on it, hopefully I’ll get that up and running this summer.

the barrett field raft is getting rave reviews as a light mountain rifle. They are fully bedded from the factory and come with a timney trigger. The only reason I went with a kimber over one of these is because I like the 3 position safety of the kimber over the 2 position on the Barrett, I hunt in very thick brush so being able to lock the bolt closed is important to me.

The weatherby vanguard back country and wilderness models are nice accurate rifles as well but you may not like the trigger on them even though it’s a nice step up from the older series 1 vanguard triggers, both come with b&c stocks, fluted barrels and are well known to be very accurate, the difference is the back country is cerakoted.

Those are where I’d focus my attention.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, good choice going with the 308 for a hunting rifle, I switched over almost completely (except for a few rifles) to 308 a few years ago and I’ve used it successfully for everything from dall sheep to moose, I love the 308. My only other rifle that gets used these days is that Winchester 30-06 because I love shooting 200g trophy bonded bear claws out of it for moose and sometimes caribou.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'd suggest some variant of the Sako 85. Well made, accurate,great triggers, 60 degree bolt.

Downsides: Expensive mags and limited selection of scope mounts.

Don’t they also have issues ejecting empty cases straight up into the scope and jamming up the action? I know the Kodiak version was having that problem.

Don’t see too many Sako rifles around but I agree they are well made and accurate.

posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention the Kimber Hunter, it’s basicslly the same as the Montana (same barrel, trigger, action) but comes in a plastic stock with a removable magazine. They can be had for around 700 dollars. The composite stock from kimber costs I believe 520.00 if you call kimber and send the rifle in so the price pretty much directly reflects a Montana without the composite stock.

I’m actually looking to get one of these to start an incredibly ultralight build, it’s a cheaper way to start the project than to buy a Montana. Since the stock will get switched and the barre chopped.

The hunter rifles get good reviews and all the new kimbers have a sub MOA guarantee.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the new Savage 110 Lightweight Storm is worth a look. 5.65lbs w/ 20" bbl, accu-trigger, Adjustable Length of Pull stock, Spiral Fluted Bolt, detachable box magazine. MSRP $749

http://www.savagearms.com/fire.../110LightweightStorm

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I forgot to mention the Kimber Hunter

I’m actually looking to get one of these to start an incredibly ultralight build

What stock are you looking at?

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I forgot to mention the Kimber Hunter

I’m actually looking to get one of these to start an incredibly ultralight build

What stock are you looking at?

I’m looking at an MPI.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
Looking for suggestions for a bolt action hunting style rifle. I'd like a synthetic stock, free floated barrel, preferably pillar bedding or chassis bedding, 18 to 24 inch barrel. I'll probably change out the trigger if necessary to a Timney, so fancy triggers are not a deciding factor but may be a plus.
This isn't going to be 1000 yard rifle, but will be used between 200 and 600 yards.
Already have a Primary Arms 4-14x44 ARC2 MOA scope to be used.

Any suggestions for recommendations to help me weed through all the choices online would be appreciated!

Here's a choice that's hard to beat:

A 6.4lb Sako M85 for $899!

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako...-06-spr-jrs1c20.aspx

They also have them still available in 270 for $949.

It's almost the same rifle as the Finnlight with the fluted barrel but they have the steel magazine and Floorplate. These are GREAT rifles for $600 less than the current Finnlites. Guaranteed 5shot sub-MOA accuracy etc. If you'd like a 30-06 or 270 you won't do much better than these. They also had them in 6.5x55 but I think I might have gotten the last one. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Thompson Center Compass last fall for about $300 after rebate and that came with a Vortex scope! Haven’t shot it yet though it has some great reviews online. Threaded and free floated 5R rifled barrel that is guaranteed 1” MOA and 100 yds. How can you go wrong with that? Well we shall see if I did good soon energy when I get out the rifle range.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
There are some great suggestions above and I agree with all of them. It was sigfreund who first suggested a Tikka to me and I have to say that they are the best rifles I have purchased and shot to date. They feel like quality firearms and the aftermarket is full of very inexpensive and effective upgrades for them.

Maybe I missed it but a good old Remington 700 is a solid choice too. Similar to LincolnSixEcho, I have a Thompson Center Venture that has shot .5 to .6 moa groups at 100 yards with factory GameKings ever since break-in. That was a sub-$400 rifle after rebate.

Not meaning to wonder too far afield of your question, but have you considered the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge? If not, take a look. It will do everything a .308 will do and a lot a .308 can’t do with significantly less recoil. Additionally, reloading information is more than plentiful.

Good luck with some fun choices,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Tikka is always a good choice. Another good choice would be a Barrett Fieldcraft and it already has a Timney trigger.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Barr...readed-RH-17268.aspx

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I think Bergara is worth a look. The one in 6.5 Creedmoor I fired was pretty nice.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
There are some great suggestions above and I agree with all of them. It was sigfreund who first suggested a Tikka to me and I have to say that they are the best rifles I have purchased and shot to date. They feel like quality firearms and the aftermarket is full of very inexpensive and effective upgrades for them.

Maybe I missed it but a good old Remington 700 is a solid choice too. Similar to LincolnSixEcho, I have a Thompson Center Venture that has shot .5 to .6 moa groups at 100 yards with factory GameKings ever since break-in. That was a sub-$400 rifle after rebate.

Not meaning to wonder too far afield of your question, but have you considered the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge? If not, take a look. It will do everything a .308 will do and a lot a .308 can’t do with significantly less recoil. Additionally, reloading information is more than plentiful.

Good luck with some fun choices,
Henryrifle

If he goes the Remington 700 route, id strongly encourage him to examine the rifle before purchasing and plan to upgrade the trigger immediately. Their quality hasn’t been great lately according to some but the examples I’ve seen over the last 2 years have been suprisingly nice (bdl in 270, cdl sf 35 Whalen, mountain lss 25-06). Based on what I’ve seen, I’d get one but others may have had different experiences. If I could inspect before buying, I’d likely not have any issue buying a Remington if the gun fit the bill.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
A Tikka is always a good choice. Another good choice would be a Barrett Fieldcraft and it already has a Timney trigger.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Barr...readed-RH-17268.aspx

The Barrett field raft is a really nice gun, the only reason I havnt bought one is that I like the 3 position safety of my kimber better than the 2 position safety which won’t lock the bolt shut found on the Barrett. This has become quite an important feature for me over the years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I picked up a Thompson Center Compass last fall for about $300 after rebate and that came with a Vortex scope! Haven’t shot it yet though it has some great reviews online. Threaded and free floated 5R rifled barrel that is guaranteed 1” MOA and 100 yds. How can you go wrong with that? Well we shall see if I did good soon energy when I get out the rifle range.

Along those lines, a friend of mine picked up a ruger American 270 with a vortex scope for under 500 bucks, the Americans are actually fairly impressive for their price IMO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:

The next time you get off The Island and come visit here, would you please tell me what the 5R rifling does for you. How is it better than other types of rifling and how do you see benefit from it? How did you measure that?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post