SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto AK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto AK Login/Join 
posted
Anybody got any experience with the Palmetto AK47? Got enough ARs and looking for something different. Build kits look like the way to go for me, so I don't have to replace a bunch of factory parts.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Rob over at http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com put one of the Palmetto AK's through a 5,000 round endurance test. While some folks find these "torture" tests to be of questionable value, compared to a few other consumer priced AK rifles Rob has tested the Palmetto offering did quite well. Early examples displayed some minor quality issues, one of which was an improperly threaded barrel. I contacted Palmetto a few months ago inquiring about the status of these minor quality issues. So far, I have not received a response.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
Please do your research before buying a PSA AK. They look to be hit or miss based on AK internet posts. The large majority of responses I got to similar inquiries as yours indicated sticking with combloc AKs and to steer away from US made AKs. The underlying rationale being combloc AKs are manufactured at facilities that support local / regional militaries while US AKs are geared toward commercial / recreational use. At a similar price point, I was advised to go with the WASR over the PSA because of the parts used to assemble the rifle. I eventually ended up getting the Molot VEPR FM-AK47-11 and could not be happier.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
They must have made parts for a bunch of these AKs just like their AR parts (Hillary gonna win Roll Eyes). Today's emails had two different complete PSA AKs for $600@ shipped.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You can get an ak and ar for 999

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking @ the $350 barreled receivers. Figured it would be a $500ish ak. I was thinking about the new Arsenal 107r, but have read of quality issues with them as well (cracks around rivets, finish issues, etc).
Been happy with PSA so far, so I thought it might be ok. Will continue to research I guess.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fwiw I have a pretty good selection of arsenal rifles, can't imagine any issue they can't/won't cover.
PSA is not a player in AK's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Their lack of a hammer forged chrome lined barrel sours the deal for me. Without at least a chrome lined barrel, PSA AKs are missing a few finger digits. I know that the lack of a chrome lined barrel will likely not result in any consequences for the American civilian shooter, but I still want that feature for improved neglect-proofing and corrosion resistance. It's an old world AK standard.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post