SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new to me... Underwood M1 carbine 1943
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new to me... Underwood M1 carbine 1943 Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
My new to me Underwood M1 carbine 1943. My Dad passed away earlier this year. He left me some guns including this gem. It has been in the family since around 1963 when my when my Uncle bought it through the NRA via mail order for around $20. I shot it some when I was around 14 years old and that was about the last time I shot it. Guess i got something to remember my Dad and Uncle by for sure.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great looking M1 Carbine. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
spiffy underwood. That will be a joy to shoot.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Great looking carbine.

My M1 Carbines are some of my favorite plinkers.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome. Even cooler you have the story with it. Enjoy!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I would like to pick up 2 or 3 extra magazines. Where would I find some good newer 15 rd magazines? Also what ammo are you guys having good luck with? I like to shoot this a couple times a year to enjoy it.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like surplus GI mags, but some say they prefer the newer Korean mad magazines. I've found my carbines function about any hardball ammo just fine. I usually shoot what I find the cheapest at one of the Marts.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Jelly. I've heard good things about the Korean mags, need to snag some myself. Pretty much any ball ammo works fine here also, though I'm thinking about respringing my carbine with a Wolff kit just because.

Fwiw, I have four or five WWII era mags and only one of them reliably feeds, so my feeling is that that a lot of what you hear about "buy wartime mags for reliability" is hogwash. They were issued as throw-aways from the start and the springs after 75 years are basically toast. Since I'm a bit of a hoarder, I'll be spending money on reconditioning these that would be better spent on new Korean mags, but it is what it is. This is speaking strictly about 15 rd mags.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post