SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    10/22 Takedown accuracy and POI consistency question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 Takedown accuracy and POI consistency question Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
The 10/22 Takedown is an intriguing rifle, but since the day I saw one advertised I’ve wondered how the takedown feature affects accuracy and point of impact consistency when an optical sight isn’t mounted on the barrel, but rather the receiver (assuming the barrel is taken off and reinstalled).

What say those of you who have one?
Has anyone done any rigorous testing?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
No rigorous testing, but the POI shifts I've noticed personally at 50 yds are very minute at best... I got a 3-15x scope on my.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Bought one when they first came to market. As long as I remember to dry cycle the action twice after assembly the bullets go exactly where they should.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I have a 10/22 takedown and like it a lot. I have a Bushnell trs-25 mounted on mine. I have not done extensive testing but from what I have experienced with mine is that it's consistently accurate. Generally I don't shoot it beyond 100-150m or so, but have stretched it out to 200m and with Kentucky Windage it's very accurate for what I use it for. I recommend it and would buy it again.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Within the limits of how I use my 10/22 takedown(4x scope and short ranges), the takedown feature does not seem to have any real impact on POI.
If you have some test that would define it in terms that you would like to see I'd be happy to do so at my next range visit.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If I were conducting my own test, it would consist of a number of five-shot groups fired at 25 or 50 yards on a clearly defined target. Each group would be fired after the barrel was removed and put back on, and we’d see if the groups varied in size and especially if there was any point of impact shift among them.

But unless only the people who are happy with their rifles are posting, it seems as though the rifle performs well. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigfreund, I have a 10 22 take down with tech sights on it. I have not shot it for 4 years and only has 1200 rounds of various different ammo run through it. The first 250 rounds were tested with Vortex 6 x 24 x 50 OA.

I have removed and reinstall the barrel 21 times/ 21 range trips over the course of 1 year. most of the shooting was done at 25 yards. Temp. range from -5 to 95 F. Each trip I removed and reinstall the barrel several times.

I only had 1 POI change, and it was a bad one.

The problem was a easy fix, the adjustment nut that is on the barrel which takes up the slack, between the barrel and the receiver, loosen up. I just set the nut per the owners manual plus 1 additional click. Never had a problem since.

Over all I am happy with the 10/22 TD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cuda2045,

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have one with Tech Sights.

No zero shift that I can discern at 50 yards or less while shooting squirrels in the head.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I've disassembled mine 4 times and have about 600 rounds through mine and haven't noticed a big change.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
Haven't had any zero issues with mine in the years I've had it. Although I apparently got one that had the receiver drilled slightly off. From what I've read, Ruger had a batch of them when the takedown first came out. I was wondering why I'd run out of windage adjustment on my receiver mounted irons (I'm not THAT bad of a shooter lol) and apparently that's why. Works great with a red dot however. Going to be getting a bull barrel for it soon with barrel mounted sights so the crooked receiver shouldn't be a problem. Assuming you pick one up and don't have a crooked receiver/barrel like mine, you'll be happy with it I'd wager.

Just to add, I have probably close to 4k rounds on mine. Just make sure and tighten up the barrel lock ring per the manual and it'll return to zero every time. My cousin didn't do that and he was wondering why his accuracy was bad with itWink

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post