SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Range day w/ a 100 yr. old friend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range day w/ a 100 yr. old friend Login/Join 
posted
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Always a good time at the range w/ my U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M-1903. Built by Springfield Armory. Born in date 11/20.

Shoots my handloads very well. All around just a nice handling accurate rifle.

Posts: 3026 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The one rifle I always wanted but never owned.

Posts: 6168 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to get one. Just a great rifle. Check the CMP forums. There are guys selling them.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I'm going this afternoon to look at a M1903 that's for sale locally. The stock has been sporterized, but as long as the barreled action is unmolested and in good condition, I'm going to buy it and restore it to military configuration.

Posts: 24716 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nice!

I'm going this afternoon to look at a M1903 that's for sale locally. The stock has been sporterized, but as long as the barreled action is unmolested and in good condition, I'm going to buy it and restore it to military configuration.

Thanks. Good luck w/ you potential purchase. Let us know how you did.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I passed on it. In addition to just the stock being cut down, it had been refinished (blued), since some Bubba wanted to make it into a shiny deer rifle. He even painted the trigger guard and magazine gold, for added bling. It was also fairly rusty in the corners and crannies.

The hunt continues...

Posts: 24716 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep checking the CMP forum. That is where I got that one. Got it for a decent price. Not a great price when the CMP got the ‘03s and 03A3s back from Greece but, still decent.

Nothing unfortunate about passing on that!! That was a smart.

posted Hide Post
I have several. One is a WW1 piece with a Warner-Swasey scope on it from the same period. The scope has range marks in it for 6’ targets at 500, 1,000 and 1,500 yards. Kind of optimistic, especially when the trenches were sometimes under 100 yards apart.

Yes, I shoot it on occasion, despite the research by Hatcher. Accuracy in this case is limited by the shooter.

Posts: 1757 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post