SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Today was an expensive day....whoa nelly!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today was an expensive day....whoa nelly! Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I was excited to pick up a nickel 226 I scored from the Classifieds here from my FFL today so was ready for another fun day of checking out guns at some local shops. I made a trip down to have lunch with a friend on Thursday and found a gun I didn't know existed. The more I read online, decided to make an early AM run back 260mi round trip to snag it.

I've always loved the steampunk nature of the Ruger No.1 but had never run across one that got my wallet out. Along a wall of boring guns 300ft long, I saw this beauty hiding in a corner. Ruger No.1. Stainless? Mannlicher stock? Gorgeous Wood? In a caliber I actually have? Whoa.

Then, coming back into town to pick up the aforementioned P226 in nickel...I stopped by another local shop as is my habit on Saturdays. It was as busy as I've ever seen it and the store manager saw me and just pointed to the far wall. I asked if it was ok to go behind the counter and got "of course" (I know that but I always ask...not my shop).

I turned it over and its a Saco, HK date code that had just come in yesterday on consignment and the price was "for quick sale". Yeah...so, does anybody know if normal G3 wood handguards work with the bipod??

(blurry pic...I'll have to get a clearer one):

I also brought the No.1 in to show them the wood (we got to talking about it later on) and snagged a Galco sling for it:

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Guess I need to start shopping for a stainless scope on the No.1. I know from previous experience...that's a tall order.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The bipod you have there is the "light" model, and only fits the "wide" hand guard you have. The "heavy" bipod fits on the receiver ahead of the mag well and requires the slim, or wood handguard.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stock !
Love the stainless with it.
But I’m a sucker for stainless & nickel.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
thanks. so, stick to green furniture or black then

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous looking Ruger, almost too pretty to shoot. Would you mind elaborating on the price of the HK? Big Grin I have wanted one of those for as long as I can remember.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Well there is a heavy bipod on gunbroker...

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Gorgeous looking Ruger, almost too pretty to shoot. Would you mind elaborating on the price of the HK? Big Grin I have wanted one of those for as long as I can remember.

started with a 1....

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Well there is a heavy bipod on gunbroker...

damn. costs about what I paid for my PTR!

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

started with a 1....

So does $10 and $19K Wink

Im more interested to know the price of the Ruger.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ruger, or at least Lipsey's, seems to have gone on a bit of a spree with the Mannlicher-stocked stainless Number Ones lately - in addition to the .308, they've got a .257 Roberts and 6x55 listed on their website.

http://lipseys.com/itemfinder....+1+Series&type=Rifle

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep. Apparently, 250 of each caliber though there's talk on the Ruger forums of only 48 in .308.

HK91 was 1999 and I didn't negotiate LOL. No.1 was listed at 1449 but got them to knock a bit off to 1399.

posted Hide Post
You did good.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful Ruger, I am a sucker for pretty walnut. I'd have broken out the wallet myself.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Ruger is awesome! Great pickup.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Wow!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger is a beautiful rifle, the combo of the stainless barrel and that wood stock is gorgeous.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice ruger. They look really nice with the international style stock. Beautiful wood on it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post