SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any .17 HMR Fans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any .17 HMR Fans? Login/Join 
posted
I'm working on a trade and have a Marlin .17 HMR as one possibility.

Anyone here shoot one? How do you like it? I know it's definitely going to cost more to feed than a .22 but the ballistics are definitely interesting.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have one, doesnt do a whole lot more than my 22's but its a fun gun to reach out a little furhter

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Ooh yeah. My boys and I take out the Savage regularly. It's way more entertaining than a 22 since you can reach 100 yards and better.

If you dump ammo like most 10/22 shooters it could start to add up, but really you'll find that shooting a more accurate round is where the fun lies.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I very much enjoy my 17 HMR but it’s in a CZ455 Varmint bolt action. Thus it’s a little harder to chew through ammo.

Very nice little fun and accurate.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Have a Contender Carbine with iron sights and a Ruger American with a BSA Sweet 17 scope.
I enjoy shooting either one.

The Contender definitely helps one to conserve their ammo. Smile

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going for the trade. Its a Marlin XT 17.

Looking forward to playing with it a bit once I pick it up.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I had a single shot revolver in .17 HMR. Sold it cause it just wasn’t any fun to shoot. I need more recoil. Replaced it with a single action revolver in .357 Magnum and started reloading for it. I still have a Savage 93R17 bolt action in .17 HMR. Ammo cost is on a par with 9mm but I have not shot it in years. Be prepared to invest in a new cleaning rod. .17 HMR is tiny.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Have a CZ 452 Silhouette in an American maple stock and just picked a Ruger American Rimfire in .17hmr. Love it in a bolt gun, not as cheap as .22 but close enough.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like the 17hmr, you should give the 17WSM a try! Reaching out to 200 yds is a breeze. I was lucky enough to catch the Walmart rifle sale and grabbed several of the $75 rifles. Two were Savage BMags. Accurate enough for my needs!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Browning T Bolt here. My friend and I both have the same rifle, only difference is scopes, I have a Nikon rimfire on mine. At present we only use them for paper but as he is looking for property in northern Michigan I see some small game and varmint hunting in the future.

Both CCI and Hornady ammunition are good. Have not tried Remington, from past experience I would be leery of Winchester. He and I had multiple FTF, average 6 to 8 out of 50. Winchester to their credit upon my call sent a prepaid label for the proven bad rounds and the unfired ones in my stash and sent a refund check for them. No complaints on my part for their customer service.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ. the barrel change is cheap and I use it when I want something different. Great advantage of the 455's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have two, a Cooper Model 57 and a Ruger 77/22 mag converted with a Shilen 17 HMR barrel. We use the Ruger more, shorter & lighter.

It’s my favorite for dispatching possum, coon, and groundhog sized varmints.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you guys got me excited for it.

Nice rifle Wingspar. Good point on the cleaning rod. Hadn't thought about that.

Shovelhead where's the property he's looking to purchase? We just bought a piece in Brethren / Wellston area. I have a few yotes on trail camera and I hope to introduce them to the .17 HMR or a load of 4s from the Benelli.

Here's a picture of the one I'm trading for. He used it for groundhogs on his farm and notched the stock for each one he took. Not something I condone doing to a gun, but at least I know it's accurate lol. I'll probably refinish or restock it.

posted Hide Post
I had one a shot it a good bit. I use 22 for plinking and 17hmr for 100-150 yard shots.
I had a redfield 3-9x40 and at 100yards 1/2" groups were very common.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
455 with 17HMR and 22LR barrels. Love the 17HMR, it is a great round. Rodent don't walk it off like 22LR, devastating to them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught the CZ455 with the three barrel set- .22 long, .22 magnum and .17hmr a couple of years ago just before they discontinued that set. So far I've only fired a few shots to sight in the .22 barrel.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I claim a first year (2002) CZ 452 .17 HMR varmint model topped with a 2x7 Leupold rimfire scope. It's a great combination of rifle and caliber for western PA farms.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've had a CZ 455 for three years now...I can get Hornady .17 HMR for $8 a box if I buy a few bricks at a time. With a 3.5-10XAO Leupold a great combo for our little ground squirrels/gophers.

I especially like it as there never seems to be any rds that ricochet. Can't say that with std hi-vel .22's.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I had a early CZ 452 varmint, could not deal with the tall rings for a scope and the bolt angle. Stupid accurate, but a Ruger 77 17 is now my go to ground squirrel shredder and I really prefer it over the CZ.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Now you guys got me excited for it.

Nice rifle Wingspar. Good point on the cleaning rod. Hadn't thought about that.

Shovelhead where's the property he's looking to purchase? We just bought a piece in Brethren / Wellston area. I have a few yotes on trail camera and I hope to introduce them to the .17 HMR or a load of 4s from the Benelli.

Here's a picture of the one I'm trading for. He used it for groundhogs on his farm and notched the stock for each one he took. Not something I condone doing to a gun, but at least I know it's accurate lol. I'll probably refinish or restock it.

Roscommon/St. Helen area

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post