SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    henry vs winchester 1873
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

henry vs winchester 1873 Login/Join 
posted
Hello folks I'm wanting to buy a cowboy gun.I've been looking at Henry's as well as Winchesters. The first two videos I watched on the Henry's they seemed to be a little rough in the ejection where as the winchesters no problem I'm hoping for feedback from some of you folks who own them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure if it's caliber-related or not, and maybe a lot of it is how the shooter works the slide, but my .357 mag doesn't eject super great every time either. However, I've seen some fantastic videos of some magnificent speed shooting with the same model firearm - a Marlin 1894, so I know it's possible.

While ejection is weak, in the 100 rounds I've shot out of it so far, only one failed to eject (definitely my fault on a slow rack of the lever). most were, like I said, just weak - and more rolled out of the gun than were really ejected.

My issues were more with the feeding of the next round. Too quick on the closing, and it seemed to hang up. It seemed a good pattern of quickly opening the action (is there a word for this?) to eject the spent shell completely, and then smoothly and (slightly) more slowly closing the action to chamber the next round.

But I've seen faster-shooting that definitely defies what I did and/or what my gun likes - especially watching some of Rolan's videos!!!

Regardless, I'm interested in the knowledge that I expect in this thread, so I look forward to learning as well.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry the barrel gets hot and hard to hold. Also the follower hits your hand and you have to shift your grip. Both are toggle action and both put empties down your shirt so wear a brimmed hat.
My 1873 is a 24" Uberti deluxe rifle in 45 Colt and is slick as snot - I love it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the 1860 Henry or the new Henry Rifle company whose Centerfire rifles load like a .22?

If it is the later, then there is no comparison. You want an 1873 (either a Winchester, or a Uberti). Many companies re-brand the Uberti rifles such as Beretta (Parent Company). Taylor's, and Cimarron.

Video:
http://vid280.photobucket.com/...0Stages/DSCN5361.mp4

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Is this a cowboy action shooting gun or a gun that you will want to be shooting stouter ammunition through? Which caliber were you thinking?

The 1873 is a toggle link design. Very smooth, beautiful but not as robust as a more modern John Browning design.

Companies like Winchester (Miroku of Japan) and Uberti make them in .357 and .45 Colt and they're works of art.

The Henry is a more modern design that seems to be a copy of the Marlin action but tube fed.

Which Hentry are you looking at?

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have considered both that you are looking at. Am not impressed with the quality or design of the Henry. Winchester is more refined, even for being built 100 years earlier.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently not involved with cowboy shoots. Just have always wanted a lever gun. I am leaning more toward the winchester in 45lc. I primarily shoot 45acp so rolan's mod to his sounds very interesting to me. Simplifies reloading. Next question pros and cons of 20" or 24" barrel. Once gain thanks for the input so far. This forum is great.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Henry the barrel gets hot and hard to hold. Also the follower hits your hand and you have to shift your grip. Both are toggle action and both put empties down your shirt so wear a brimmed hat.
My 1873 is a 24" Uberti deluxe rifle in 45 Colt and is slick as snot - I love it.

I have both the Uberti Henry and 1873. Point made on the Henry is spot on. I much prefer the 73.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post