SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR 15 Armorer tool recomendation thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 Armorer tool recomendation thread Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
As the title says. I want to piece together a ar15 armorer kit. I have a tektron punch set. Need pretty much everything else. what do you recommend and why? thanks!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

I have all of the above and have used them all in building up several uppers & multiple lowers.

*If you can wait until November, Geissele will probably run a sale on all their stuff.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome... just what I am looking for! keep em coming!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I would second the reaction rod. I have and like the MagPul wrench and I’ll get a MagPul Bevblock one of these days. I bought a good assembly book but I can’t recall the name.

A good vise properly mounted and a torque wrench. Anti seize or quality grease for assembly.

Grace USA roll pin punch set. The roll pin starters are very helpful. A good punch for staking the castle nut and gas key. I used a spring loaded center punch for the castle nut.

I did use an ALG Defense barrel nut wrench that is specifically for their hand guard.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A roll of painters tape, having it handy will save you scratching your uppers, etc when you are tapping in roll pins and persuading other parts.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It helps a tiny bit to discuss what you are actually going to do. Maintenance, build (what? 9mm, 5.56, etc., lowers, uppers??), clean, upgrade (? what, stocks, handguards,??). just having tools you will never use is not useful IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
It helps a tiny bit to discuss what you are actually going to do. Maintenance, build (what? 9mm, 5.56, etc., lowers, uppers??), clean, upgrade (? what, stocks, handguards,??). just having tools you will never use is not useful IMO.

yes I would like to do a couple of builds. Probably an ar pistol kit from palmetto and a DMR rifle 224 valkerie or grendal from the ground up. Havent decided on the specs yet.

posted Hide Post
OK if your going to build a lower you need...
- a roll pin set to include the two sizes of the couple in the lower, holder and punch. you can probably make due with simply a hammer on the trigger guard one, but you want both for the bolt release.
- a 1/4 dowel or other rod to make the front detent doable
- a punch (really you only need one to make the trigger pins easy) plus a spacer pin makes this really easy
- an armour's wrench for the castle nut
- a third hand so you can push the hammer down while you try to line up the pin and tap it, it helps if it comes out of your chest so its in the right position
- a small hammer
- a block to tap the roll pin for the trigger guard so you don't break an ear.
- a center punch to stake the castle nut
For an upper
if its not a blowback caliber the geissle rod as above or some form of upper holder
a torque wrench
a barrel wrench for the barrel nut used
a wrench for the flash hider needed
tools for the gas block style you choose (can be allen, drills, pins, cup tip punches etc.) varies by mfg.
tool for gas block roll pin
sacrificial alignment pins for the gas block
go/no go gauges for your caliber
tools to disassemble bolt to use the above (varies a bit depending on your style, but I use a small thin punch)
vice so you can put torque on the three parts that need it
aeroshell 33ms for the barrel nut

I'm sure I missed something so there will be a n update once I have more time...

Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I love my Magpul BEV block. A set of good T-Handled Allen wrenches and a magnetic small part holder are helpful, too.

Ditto on the quality, well-mounted vise.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mil spec AR takes allen wrenches so I am not sure why you would list them? The BEV block is a nice tool.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have and like the Reaction Rod, and truth be told the .308 version is about the only worthwhile one for the AR-10, but for the AR-15 I find the Magpul BEV Block much easier to use and more versatile especially when mounting muzzle devices. It can also be flipped over to use as a magwell block to mount your lower.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I have 3-4 barrel wrenches. One single wrench doesn't work with all barrel nuts. So decide which barrel nut you'll need to use before buying your wrench. I like Magpul's wrench. Just wish it would work in all applications. For barrel installation, I prefer to use my Geissele Super Reaction Rod. I prefer it over a regular Reaction Rod since the design add a method to lock into the upper receiver which the regular Reaction doesn't. For AR10s, I use a Brownells barrel rod or several other devices. One word of advice, don't over torque the barrel or muzzle device. You can cause a lot of damage if you do, such as shearing the index pin on the barrel extension. A torque wrench is must for barrel or muzzle work. You can get by without one. I did for years. But without one, you'll never know how much torque is being applied.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post